Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yoda1978

15 Favorite Classic TV Shows.

CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU?  Sure.  LOVED it, One station on my cable service(not sure if it was COZI or MeTV) was showing those reruns for a while. And I always dug how both FRED GWINNE and AL LEWIS from that show wound up working together on THE MUNSTERS.  ;) 

And I belonged to a group of guys who didn't watch THE ALVIN SHOW because of The Chipmunks, but to be educated by THIS scientific genius-----  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Here are my favs:

1. THE SIMPSONS (1989 to 2002 anyway).

2. CHEERS

3. THE SOPRANOS

4.  FRASIER

5. M.A.S.H.

6.  DALLAS

7.  NIGHT COURT

8. THE TWILIGHT ZONE (the original series, though born in the mid 70's, I caught them in reruns).

9.  THE DUKES OF HAZZARD

10.  FAMILY TIES

11.  HOME IMPROVEMENT

12.  EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND

13.  DARK SHADOWS (I know it was a soap opera, but still a favorite of mine, and again I saw it through reruns since it was cancelled a couple years before I was born).

14.  LAW AND ORDER

15.  LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Here are my favs:

1. THE SIMPSONS (1989 to 2002 anyway).

2. CHEERS

3. THE SOPRANOS

4.  FRASIER

5. M.A.S.H.

6.  DALLAS

7.  NIGHT COURT

8. THE TWILIGHT ZONE (the original series, though born in the mid 70's, I caught them in reruns).

9.  THE DUKES OF HAZZARD

10.  FAMILY TIES

11.  HOME IMPROVEMENT

12.  EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND

13.  DARK SHADOWS (I know it was a soap opera, but still a favorite of mine, and again I saw it through reruns since it was cancelled a couple years before I was born).

14.  LAW AND ORDER

15.  LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT

You must have grown up in the 80s and early 90s like I did! I like your list.

Another good show from this era is Newhart. Oh and I'd add Trapper John M.D. since Pernell Roberts & Gregory Harrison were an unbeatable team in that one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You must have grown up in the 80s and early 90s like I did! I like your list.

Another good show from this era is Newhart. Oh and I'd add Trapper John M.D. since Pernell Roberts & Gregory Harrison were an unbeatable team in that one.

Yep, I was an 80's and 90's girl all right.

I forgot about NEWHART. Though I stopped watching that one the last couple of seasons it was on the air.

24 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yep, I was an 80's and 90's girl all right.

I forgot about NEWHART. Though I stopped watching that one the last couple of seasons it was on the air.

I think Newhart was at its best during the middle seasons (3-6) starting right after Peter Scolari joined the cast. We saw the blossoming relationship between his character Michael and Julia Duffy's character Stephanie. Two self-absorbed yuppies who were made for each other. They perfectly contrasted the more down-to-earth relationship of innkeepers Dick and Joanna (Bob Newhart & Mary Frann). Plus there was dim-witted but kind-hearted George (Tom Poston) the fix-it man, to balance them all out.

In the last two seasons, after a change in headwriters, the stories became increasingly more bizarre culminating in a silly send-off. The last scene in the finale revealed the whole thing had been a dream, which was hardly original after Dallas had already done that plot twist.

But during those four middle years, when it was about a modest Vermont community, with eccentric but lovable supporting characters (Larry, Darryl & Darryl) and milder plots, the show was a winner.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

In the last two seasons, after a change in headwriters, the stories became increasingly more bizarre culminating in a silly send-off. The last scene in the finale revealed the whole thing had been a dream, which was hardly original after Dallas had already done that plot twist.

That's always puzzled me.....DALLAS was criticized up and down for coming up with the 'it was only a nightmare' scenario and erasing one season of the series, while NEWHART was praised for dismissing the entire sitcom with the 'it was all a dream' solution....go figure.

7 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

That's always puzzled me.....DALLAS was criticized up and down for coming up with the 'it was only a nightmare' scenario and erasing one season of the series, while NEWHART was praised for dismissing the entire sitcom with the 'it was all a dream solution'....go figure.

Most likely because they connected it to his earlier sitcom, The Bob Newhart Show. His next program, Bob, did not reference the earlier shows, probably because it didn't have time and was canceled in the middle of its second season. A later effort with Judd Hirsch, George & Leo, did have a special episode that featured guest stars from Newhart's earlier sitcoms plus guest stars from Hirsch's first show Taxi. This was post-modernism at its height, with a new show referencing previous shows in "clever" ways.

In the case of Dallas the producers were trying to erase the fact that Patrick Duffy's character had been killed off. And I think the dream stuff was sort of criticized for the "rewrite" that it was.

• Like 1

The only thing I can say about any connection to dream sequences involving DALLAS was that I thought the whole "WHO SHOT JR.?" craze was a nightmare! :angry:

Seiatone

I had forgotten to include on my list: Quantum Leap  (1989–1993).

KJxDEnX.png

My faves have already been mentioned except one which was similar to The Twilight Zone in the respect it addressed many touchy issues.