Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

The Walt Disney Company

Did someone just leave the Walt Disney Company?  This morning on Live.  I herd Kelly Ripa say that a woman has actually been with the company longer then Walt Disney himself.

49 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Did someone just leave the Walt Disney Company?  This morning on Live.  I herd Kelly Ripa say that a woman has actually been with the company longer then Walt Disney himself.

I don't know about that, but there are quite a few Disney employees/cast members who worked there longer than Walt Disney did, because he died at a relatively young 65 in 1966.  If you count the founding of the current company as starting with the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio, the company was founded in 1923, giving Disney himself about 43 years with the company.

Here's one who's been with the company for 65 years:  https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-walt-disney-company-honors-its-longest-serving-employee/

There was also a Disneyland cast member who retired a couple of years ago (Oscar Martinez) who had worked there since 1956.  He was a chef at the Carnation Cafe on Main Street.  He was there a little more than 60 years.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/09/oscar-martinez-longest-tenured-disney-parks-cast-member-retires/

Like so many people of his time WALT DISNEY was a heavy smoker and that did not help his longevity. 

I think Disney would be quite surprised at the size of the company these days.  The company was on shaky financial grounds until Disneyland opened.   He had to partner with ABC to get Disneyland built (ABC owned a percentage of the park until he bought their share out a few years later) and in return, he started his TV show Disneyland on ABC, which later became The Wonderful World of Color on NBC (in living color, of course, except for the reruns of the archive B&W films done while on ABC!)

And there was a time in the late 70s when their studio output was not too successful, they thought they might just operate theme parks and get out of films altogether.  The Disney of today was rejuvenated when Eisner joined the company.

Of course, now Disney owns ABC, and about half the world .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2020 at 3:58 PM, txfilmfan said:

I think Disney would be quite surprised at the size of the company these days.  The company was on shaky financial grounds until Disneyland opened.   He had to partner with ABC to get Disneyland built (ABC owned a percentage of the park until he bought their share out a few years later) and in return, he started his TV show Disneyland on ABC, which later became The Wonderful World of Color on NBC (in living color, of course, except for the reruns of the archive B&W films done while on ABC!)

And there was a time in the late 70s when their studio output was not too successful, they thought they might just operate theme parks and get out of films altogether.  The Disney of today was rejuvenated when Eisner joined the company.

Of course, now Disney owns ABC, and about half the world .

I think he may have been surprised that his legacy was still going strong and that his films are keeping families glued to his films during the stay at home crisis.  I'm reading a bio on Guy Williams and am amazed at the longevity of Zorro's fame and how kids are still are crazy about him even to this day and in black and white yet! But, yeah, I think Mr. Disney would have been surprised and very proud.  His films live on. Who here on this forum doesn't get a kick out of the Lady and the Tramp spaghetti scene? 

I think the newer Aladdin/lion king era animation would make ole Walt retch.

he would never have gone along with their plagiarism.

:)

Wonder of WALT himself even ever knew THE MONOLITH it would grow into?

• Like 1