Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

30 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Cary Grant was not in the film.  Tony Curtis did an imitation of him while playing the rich playboy to attract Marilyn Monroe.

Nobawdy tahlks like thaat...

9 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Nobawdy tahlks like thaat...

I call shenanigans on the seashells! I have never found large, completely intact, shells on the beach. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I call shenanigans on the seashells! I have never found large, completely intact, shells on the beach. 

Maybe that's 'cause Sally always got there before ya, speedy?

You knew she's had a thriving business selling those down at the seashore for years now, didn't ya?!

(...where do ya think she gets her inventory?!)

;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

46 minutes ago, Dargo said:

You knew she's had a thriving business selling those down at the seashore for years now, didn't ya?!

;)

Ah, yes, my little chickadees, seashells. I remember them well, particularly when that well kept grave Cleopatra Pepperday sang to me about gathering them at the seashore. That gathering begins at the  6min 14 sec mark of this video clip. It might be best to have a few shots of whisky, rum, tequilla, whatever's in the house, ahead of time to really appreciate the full majesty of her singing.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Ah, yes, my little chickadees, seashells. I remember them well, particularly when that well kept grave Cleopatra Pepperday sang to me about gathering them at the seashore. That gathering begins at the  6min 14 sec mark of this video clip. It might be best to have a few shots of whisky, rum, tequilla, whatever's in the house, ahead of time to really appreciate the full majesty of her singing.

Bravo!!!

Ya know Tom, as I watched this clip it suddenly came to me who would make a great W.C. Fields in a biopic of him if they ever decide to make another one after that only so-so attempt at one which starred Rod Steiger back in '76.

Comedian Jim Gaffigan.

(...am I right or what)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

That is one of very few Fields film that I like, largely because of that scene.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

It is commonly held that the tongue-twister was written of Mary Anning who truly made her living collecting seashells and selling them to tourists. An important distinction was that they were fossilized shells. Hers is a fascinating story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Anning

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Bravo!!!

Ya know Tom, as I watched this clip it suddenly came to me who would make a great W.C. Fields in a biopic of him if they ever decide to make another one after that only so-so attempt at one which starred Rod Steiger back in '76.

Comedian Jim Gaffigan.

(...am I right or what)

It's PERFECT casting, Dargo! Mainly because I never heard of Jim Gaffigan and most people today would probably say the same thing about W. C. Fields. The comedian's rediscovery by campus kids and film buffs back in the '60s is a long time ago.

33 minutes ago, SansFin said:

It is commonly held that the tongue-twister was written of Mary Anning who truly made her living collecting seashells and selling them to tourists. An important distinction was that they were fossilized shells. Hers is a fascinating story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Anning

Just read it, and thanks Sans, I did indeed find Mary Anning's story fascinating.

(...I wonder how the movie Ammonite about her that's to star Kate Winslet and mentioned near the bottom has been progressing?)

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Just read it, and thanks Sans, I did indeed find Mary Anning's story fascinating.

(...I wonder how the movie Ammonite about her that's to star Kate Winslet and mentioned near the bottom has been progressing?)

IMDb.com states that it is in post-production. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7983894/

• Thanks 1

Ammonite Movie description: 1840s England, an infamous fossil hunter and a young woman sent to convalesce by the sea develop an intense relationship, altering both of their lives forever.

Ugh why do modern films feel the need to embellish an already fascinating story with a salacious romantic angle?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, SansFin said:

:rolleyes:  I heard she sold them out of the back of a truck that had  (*groan*) Rubber baby buggy bumpers!  :P

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Ammonite Movie description: 1840s England, an infamous fossil hunter and a young woman sent to convalesce by the sea develop an intense relationship, altering both of their lives forever.

Ugh why do modern films feel the need to embellish an already fascinating story with a salacious romantic angle?

I believe it is because perseverance, scholarship and dedication do not film well. Many moviemakers find it is easier to draw audiences and connect with them if a movie relies on the two constants: death and sex. That is why most movies have explosions, car chases or a bed. 

foTPkjz.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
10 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Godzilla vs.  Megashark

(If you'd spent $200 on a Criterion boxset, YOU wouldn't be making Toho vs. Asylum jokes...Just saying.)

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

:rolleyes:  I heard she sold them out of the back of a truck that had  (*groan*) Rubber baby buggy bumpers!  :P

Sepiatone

Well! That's easy for YOU to say!

(...or was it)

I think TALIA SHIRE says that in WINDOWS (1980) as a kind of therapy to stop stuttering.  BABY BUGGY BUMPERS!

I remember Carey Grant (sic) in SOME LIKE IT HOT.  He played the part of the Middle Eastern Sheik/sultan who tries to buy Marilyn Monroe for his harem.  Instead, he gets a bugle shoved up his left nostril.  :blink:

'Twas a sad scene indeed for poor Carey (sic).  It's one I'm not likely to ever forget.  :) 

30 minutes ago, SansFin said:

a movie relies on the two constants: death and sex. That is why most movies have explosions, car chases or a bed. 

Yup.  Sometimes called "tropes".

17 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...am I right or what)

What.

Just now, Allhallowsday said:

What.

So you're sayin' here you DON'T think Jim Gaffigan here would make a good W.C. Fields, Allhallowsday?

GettyImages-513578832-jim-gaffigan-57845

Can't see it, eh?!

Well, besides the overall physical resemblance, both gentlemen had/have quite the droll delivery to their comic material, ya know.

(...yep, I still say put a bigger and more bulbous nose on Jim up there, and you've pretty much got a modern day Mr. Dukenfield or as close to a reasonable facsimile as you're likely to find)

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

She sits upon the sheets; it's the sheets she sits upon.

17 hours ago, Swithin said:

That is one of very few Fields film that I like, largely because of that scene.

I liked it for Fields' reprising his cigar box act at the end.

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

So you're sayin' here you DON'T think Jim Gaffigan here would make a good W.C. Fields, Allhallowsday?

Don't put words in my mouth, you gave a choice; I took one. 

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Don't put words in my mouth, you gave a choice; I took one. 

Ah-HA! Sooooo, you were just bein' a little coy with me here then, EH?!

Well, you should maybe think about that, and 'cause you know what happens a lot to the coy out there, don't ya?!

Uh-huh, some egret or heron flies by and sees 'em and sometimes even a raccoon or two will walk by, and they eat 'em up!

(...oh...wait...different spelling huh,,,never mind then)