Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It just dawned on me that I've never seen "Some Like It Hot" in its entirety.  Not sure why.  Maybe it's Jack Lemon.  I find him hard to take in his pre-1970 movie roles (except for "Days of Wine and Roses").  Now, the 1980's hit song of the same title by the group 'Power Station'...that, I like!

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Uh-huh, some egret or heron flies by and sees 'em and sometimes even a raccoon or two will walk by, and they eat 'em up!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, midwestan said:

It just dawned on me that I've never seen "Some Like It Hot" in its entirety.  Not sure why.  Maybe it's Jack Lemon.  I find him hard to take in his pre-1970 movie roles (except for "Days of Wine and Roses").  Now, the 1980's hit song of the same title by the group 'Power Station'...that, I like!

I think it's JACK LEMMON's earliest standout performance.  For me, that movie is always fun. 

I ordered a Jack Lemmon 'Western' yesterday from Amazon.  COWBOY (1958) also starring Glenn Ford.  I can't think of any other western movies Jack Lemmon featured in . . .

53 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Really? Wow, I think I became a big Jack Lemmon fan after watching him in Some Like It Hot on the old ABC Sunday Night Movie broadcasts back around the mid-to-late-'60s, midwesty.

(...I still crack up every time I think of him on that bed in drag with those maracas in his hands and big smile on his face and telling Tony Curtis he's engaged to Osgood)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think it's JACK LEMMON's earliest standout performance.  For me, that movie is always fun. 

Yes, but don't forget his star-making and Oscar-winning turn as Ensign Pulver in Mister Roberts, allhallows.

(...Jack's pretty darn good in that one too, remember)

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

Why, why, THAT'S just CRUEL!

(...and pretty funny too)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes, but don't forget his star-making and Oscar-winning turn as Ensign Pulver in Mister Roberts, allhallows.

JACK's always good; Oscar's are merely noteworthy to me.  All of the cast of MISTER ROBERTS are wonderful.  LEMMON is a standout as Daphne

• Like 2

I always liked It Should Happen to You, which anticipated the 21st century trend of pursuing media fame just for fame's sake, with no substance behind it.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I always liked It Should Happen to You, which anticipated the 21st century trend of pursuing media fame just for fame's sake, with no substance behind it.  

Yep, and here's the real irony about this, Tex...

(...I understand this movie is one of the Kardashians' favorites)

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...and pretty funny too)

A woman to whom I showed it said repeatedly: "That is so cruel. How could they do that to the cute little thing. That is just so mean!" all the while that she was laughing so hard that she had to remove her glasses. She must have watched it two dozen times before we could move on.

You will note that he learned very quickly to keep it away from the water.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

TONY CURTIS' role was about 6 THE CHAIRMAJN OF THE BOARD FRANCI(S (Albert) SINATRA very much wanted, but of course never got

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

But it shows even those with a brain the size of a walnut can LEARN from past mistakes. (more than I can say for some people)

• Like 2

Jack Lemmon gave a great, if broad (Get it? Broad) comedy performance in Some Like It Hot, followed by another great but far more subtle portrayal, alternately comedic and, at times, poignant, in The Apartment. After these two Wilder milestones I thought the rest of his career was rather anti-climactic.

That doesn't mean Jack wasn't effective in any of a number of later films but I often found him grating on my nerves a bit with a tendency towards ham. He was fortunate to have had the great material with which Billy Wilder supplied him in their first two films together. Jack recounted that the director once told him you're as good as the best you've ever done. While I may question some of Lemmon's later film efforts I can never take away from him the brilliance of his best work.

1JGB.gif

tumblr_mj4a6kZaVO1riyibxo1_500.gif

• Like 4

he wasn't bad in Cowboy, The Odd Couple and How to Murder Your Wife, China Syndrome, and Save The Tiger.

6 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

he wasn't bad in Cowboy, The Odd Couple and How to Murder Your Wife, China Syndrome, and Save The Tiger.

He wan;t bad? I think Jack Lemmon was a great actor. He could do comedy and drama. His range was tremendous. To do Some Like It Hot and Days of Wine and Roses.  Quite a difference in  characters. No one could have done better in The Apartment.I loved his performances in all the films  you also mentioned.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

He wan;t bad? I think Jack Lemmon was a great actor. He could do comedy and drama. His range was tremendous. To do Some Like It Hot and Days of Wine and Roses.  Quite a difference in  characters. No one could have done better in The Apartment.I loved his performances in all the films  you also mentioned.

I was just looking back on his overlooked role in the movie of Broadway's Mass Appeal (1984).  A bit generic for Lemmon-dramedy, but that's still a pretty high bar.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

He wan;t bad?

I was answering Tom conversationally, not making a statement. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I was answering Tom conversationally, not making a statement. 

Good, glad to read that LOL

On 5/31/2020 at 8:57 AM, TomJH said:

Jack Lemmon gave a great, if broad (Get it? Broad) comedy performance in Some Like It Hot, followed by another great but far more subtle portrayal, alternately comedic and, at times, poignant, in The Apartment. After these two Wilder milestones I thought the rest of his career was rather anti-climactic.

That doesn't mean Jack wasn't effective in any of a number of later films but I often found him grating on my nerves a bit with a tendency towards ham. He was fortunate to have had the great material with which Billy Wilder supplied him in their first two films together. Jack recounted that the director once told him you're as good as the best you've ever done. While I may question some of Lemmon's later film efforts I can never take away from him the brilliance of his best work.

1JGB.gif

tumblr_mj4a6kZaVO1riyibxo1_500.gif

I've always liked Jack Lemmon, but I didn't really started to appreciate him as an actor until he made The Apartment. I also think he did some of his best work in subsequent movies, like The China Syndrome, Missing, and  Glengarry Glen Ross. He was a standout in his brief appearance in Short Cuts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arsan404 said:

I've always liked Jack Lemmon, but I didn't really started to appreciate him as an actor until he made The Apartment. I also think he did some of his best work in subsequent movies, like The China Syndrome, Missing, and  Glengarry Glen Ross. He was a standout in his brief appearance in Short Cuts.

Lemmon's a  mixed blessing to me. His constantly shouting Professor Fate in The Great Race gets on my nerves, while I like everyone else in the film (particularly Peter Falk). Even his fine performance in Days of Wine and Roses goes over the top, for my money, when he's crying and rolling in the mud making me think, "Jack, you really do want that Academy Award, don't you?"

On the other hand, if I had my way, he would have won the Oscar for The Apartment and probably even Some Like It Hot.

However, I agree with you about his work in China Syndrome. I haven't seen Missing or Short Cuts and I have a brain blank on Glengarry Glen Ross. His grumpy comedies with Walter Matthau are mildly amusing though I usually thought that Matthau more than pulled his own in their screen relationship. Sophia Loren's appearance in their second grumpy comedy played a far bigger role in that film's enjoyment than anything that Jack did.

But I must say that I found Lemmon very funny as his hard put upon character in The Out of Towners (along with Sandy "Oh my God" Dennis). There's a lot of Lemmon's later work, particularly his dramas, I have yet to see so I may yet change my mind to a degree if I discover a hidden gem there. Any recommendations? 

I'm a person who, for years, proclaimed that Jack Lemmon was a great actor until I realized one day that that statement was based almost entirely upon his first two Billy Wilder comedies, with a lot, well, all of the rest of his stuff failing to make an equal impression upon me.

For those Jack Lemmon lovers out there, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

6 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Lemmon's a  mixed blessing to me. His constantly shouting Professor Fate in The Great Race gets on my nerves, while I like everyone else in the film (particularly Peter Falk). Even his fine performance in Days of Wine and Roses goes over the top, for my money, when he's crying and rolling in the mud making me think, "Jack, you really do want that Academy Award, don't you?"

On the other hand, if I had my way, he would have won the Oscar for The Apartment and probably even Some Like It Hot.

However, I agree with you about his work in China Syndrome. I haven't seen Missing or Short Cuts and I have a brain blank on Glengarry Glen Ross. His grumpy comedies with Walter Matthau are mildly amusing though I usually thought that Matthau more than pulled his own in their screen relationship. Sophia Loren's appearance their second comedy played a far bigger role in that film's enjoyment than anything that Jack did.

But I must say that I found Lemmon very funny as his hard put upon character in The Out of Towners (along with Sandy "Oh my God" Dennis). There's a lot of Lemmon's later work, particularly his dramas, I have yet to see so I may yet change my mind to a degree if I discover a hidden gem there. Any recommendations? But I'm a person who, for years, proclaimed that Jack Lemmon was a great actor until I realized one day that that statement was based almost entirely upon his first two Billy Wilder comedies, with a lot of the rest of his stuff failing to make an equal impression upon me.

And for those Jack Lemmon lovers out there, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I haven't seen The Great Race in a very long time, He had some good scenes in Days of Wine and Roses, but I agree that he was way over the top in that scene that you mention. And even though I enjoyed his overall performance in Some Like it Hot, I found him a bit irritating in some scenes.

Missing is a good movie, in my opinion. The acting alone makes the movie worth watching. Jack and Sissy Spacek give splendid performances, two of my favorites that year.

Short Cuts is an excellent movie, very well directed by Robert Altman, and with some excellent performances by most of its cast.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I like Jack Lemmon in pretty much everything, except “Under the Yum Yum Tree.”  I hated that movie and his character. 

22 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I liked Lemmon & Matthau in The Odd Couple; but I think this is a rare case where the TV Show was better than the movie. Tony Randall is the ultimate Felix Unger, imo. 

• Like 2