Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

There’s going to be a new ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ movie

Wonder of wonders: “Fiddler on the Roof” is returning to the big screen.

MGM will produce a remake of the iconic 1964 musical about the struggles and joys of Jewish life in the fictional Eastern European shtetl of Anatevka, according to Deadline.

The new film will bring some star power from Broadway: Director Thomas Kail served in the same role for “Hamilton” and has collaborated with its creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda (famously a “Fiddler” fan), on other shows. Steven Levenson, who wrote the acclaimed musical “Dear Evan Hansen,” will pen the screenplay.

The remake will be carrying on a tradition of more than 50 years.

“Fiddler” first had audiences saying “L’chaim” when it opened on Broadway in 1964 starring Zero Mostel as Tevye and winning nine Tonys. It saw many sunrises and sunsets, at one time holding the record for longest-running Broadway musical at nearly 10 years.

The movie version came out in 1971 and garnered three Oscars, as well as nominations for best actor for Topol and best picture.

Broadway brought back another revival in 2015, and a Yiddish-language “Fiddler” ran off-Broadway until this year.

I hope they don't fiddle on the roof too much when they decide how this goes, I'm thinking they will make this into some PC version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

...I hope they don't fiddle on the roof too much when they decide how this goes, I'm thinking they will make this into some PC version.

Nope, sorry MM.

Word is this version is gonna feature much nicer and friendlier Cossacks than the previous one.

I read in the trades that it will even include a scene in which a bare-chested Vlad Putin himself will be making a cameo appearance as one of 'em, and who it was said will extend the olive branch of peace to the denizens of that little Jewish enclave of Anatevka.

(...and so there ya go...all your fears will apparently be realized here...I know, what a shame, huh)

9 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Hope it will be shorter than the original!

HALLELUJAH!!!

(...or as I understand it's spelled in ancient Hebrew: "Alleluia")

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

No, this does not need to be remade.

Really, Helen?!

Not even with nicer and friendlier Cossacks???

(...don't let Vlad hear you say this...I hear he's really lookin' forward to that cameo, and you know how he gets when he doesn't get his way, don't ya?!!!)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

I said what I said, dargo! 

WELL! I guess you DID, didn't ya!

(...boy, what a tough crowd around here lately)

;)

4 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

...Well, what OTHER musical is in free United Artists public-domain right now?

They're not going to remake "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", so...er, hope not, anyway.  🤫

• Thanks 1

There is a cache of classic movies I've kept for "watching later" and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF is one of them. (I'll be sad once I've seen every great classic movie)

I've heard the story centers on cultural tradition, different generations which is a universal theme. I understand this same story has been successfully done in every culture- Asian, African, European, etc. kind of like Romeo & Juliet, universal themed. So an update may be successful.

But, I'm sure I'll love the original best & make sure I see it first!

19 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

MGM will produce a remake of the iconic 1964 musical about the struggles and joys of Jewish life in the fictional Eastern European shtetl of Anatevka, according to Deadline.

The new film will bring some star power from Broadway: Director Thomas Kail served in the same role for “Hamilton” and has collaborated with its creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda (famously a “Fiddler” fan), on other shows. Steven Levenson, who wrote the acclaimed musical “Dear Evan Hansen,” will pen the screenplay.

“Fiddler” first had audiences saying “L’chaim” when it opened on Broadway in 1964 starring Zero Mostel as Tevye and winning nine Tonys. It saw many sunrises and sunsets, at one time holding the record for longest-running Broadway musical at nearly 10 years.

The movie version came out in 1971 and garnered three Oscars, as well as nominations for best actor for Topol and best picture.

Broadway brought back another revival in 2015, and a Yiddish-language “Fiddler” ran off-Broadway until this year.

I hope they don't fiddle on the roof too much when they decide how this goes, I'm thinking they will make this into some PC version.

they're gonna need some kind of perfect director like quentin tarantino which would make about as much sense as steven Spielberg directing west side story.

10 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

they're gonna need some kind of perfect director like quentin tarantino which would make about as much sense as steven Spielberg directing west side story.

QUENTIN directing FIDDLER?   I'd bet he wouldn't do a "straight" version, which means really, doing FIDDLER as it's always been done.  MY bet would be he makes some changes.  To even some of the songs.  Like the opening number "Tradition" would be changed to "Perdition"  or something on that order.  ;) 

And Tevye would instead sing(while sporting an AK-47)--- "If I Killed A Rich Man!"   :D   Or, in this case;  "If I Killed A Chechnyan."  

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

QUENTIN directing FIDDLER?   I'd bet he wouldn't do a "straight" version, which means really, doing FIDDLER as it's always been done.  MY bet would be he makes some changes.  To even some of the songs.  Like the opening number "Tradition" would be changed to "Perdition"  or something on that order.  ;) 

And Tevye would instead sing(while sporting an AK-47)--- "If I Killed A Rich Man!"   :D   Or, in this case;  "If I Killed A Chechnyan."  

Sepiatone

Yeah, could work I suppose Sepia, but don't forget the title change that might help its box office receipts too.

To maybe somethin' like Tevye Unchained.

Heck, I'll bet even Helen might go see it then.

(...depending of course upon her feelings in general about Tarantino movies)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Uh, I THINK we're missing the "Spielberg wishes he had Natalie Wood back again" joke Nip was trying to make--

And, free public-domain dumpster-diving aside, think the Spielberg/Jets comparison wasn't lost on the new Fiddler producer either.  Nor was new-revival producer Lin-Manuel Miranda getting to make any movie he ever wants to make, after Mary Poppins Returns and before Hamilton and In the Heights.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, MovieMadness said:

There's going to be a new puking session.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, could work I suppose Sepia, but don't forget the title change that might help its box office receipts too.

To maybe somethin' like Tevye Unchained.

Heck, I'll bet even Helen might go see it then.

(...depending of course upon her feelings in general about Tarantino movies)

I’ve only seen Pulp Fiction but it was alright. But QT for Fiddler? 😳

Just in case anyone on here has taken this notion seriously, Tarantino has sworn he's only going to direct one more movie before he retires, and I seeeeriously doubt this would be it. It might be two more movies, if he's allowed to let his long-planned Star Trek movie be made, but still, the other movie ain't gonna be this.

Who's taking bets that Tarantino will retire as many times as Sinatra did.... or more? ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2020 at 7:30 PM, HelenBaby2 said:

As always, I point out that Ricardo Cortez is the ultimate Sam Spade.

Whoa.  How cool is this?  Fiddler On The Roof is one of my very favorite musicals.  So many really wonderful music and songs.  I’ll be really looking forward to this.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 7:53 AM, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

The movie would end with Tevye storming the Kremlin with machine guns -- "The revolution starts NOW!" Called "Tevye's Revenge" -- reminiscent of Weird Al's "Gandhi II-- no more Mr Passive Resistance!"

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I wanted to see Fiddler in Yiddish.  I never cared for the movie (too big and too long).  There is a little theater up here (or was) called Melody Fair.  Mostel reprised the role of Tevye and, while he was a bit "hammy," he was wonderful.  Melody Fair was a theater in the round, so at the end, you really got the idea of how small the shtetl was.  I've read Tevye the Milkman (and even Shalom A. lost track of how many daughters Tevye has - plus his wife is not as nice as portrayed in the play/movie).  Funny story about when I saw Fidder... My mother took me and was embarrassed when her license plate number (the car's) was called out as having left its light on.

My Mom saw Fiddler on Broadway (with an actor I never heard of).  She cries during If I Were A Rich Man because my maternal grandfather wanted a seat by the Western (?) Wall.  

As for remakes, they just shot some scenes in Downtown Buffalo for a remake of Nightmare Alley (with Bradley Cooper).  I wish Hollywood et alia would stop rehashing old movies and focus on original stories and ideas.

18 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

As for remakes, they just shot some scenes in Downtown Buffalo for a remake of Nightmare Alley (with Bradley Cooper).  I wish Hollywood et alia would stop rehashing old movies and focus on original stories and ideas.

A lot of us here have that sentiment CHAYA.  And Hollywood does focus on original stories and ideas.  Unfortunately, a lot of those stories and ideas are coming from COMIC BOOKS.  :rolleyes:  :D   and BTW....

Knowing when your Mother saw "Fiddler" on Broadway might help us figure out who your unknown(to you) actor was.  If it was quite some time ago, maybe it was HERSCHEL BERNARDI? 

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Knowing when your Mother saw "Fiddler" on Broadway might help us figure out who your unknown(to you) actor was.  If it was quite some time ago, maybe it was HERSCHEL BERNARDI? 

Leonard Nimoy, who brought the Birkat kohanim to Vulcan, also had a well-known tour as Tevye, in '71:

69f24e9705390ede74fd68db01b70544.jpg

• Thanks 1