Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
chaya bat woof woof

Surprise Endings or Twists and Turns

Did you ever watch a movie and 1) either need several viewings to really get what is going on or 2) the movie took so many twists and turns (or, maybe, just one) where you thought, "I never so that coming"?  Two examples for me (and I am trying not to include spoilers) are:

1) For the first, A Letter to Three Wives (ending)

2) Rebecca (1939 - I think - movie) based on Daphne DeM.'s book.

Thought of one more:  Witness for the Prosecution with Charles L., Elsa L., Tyrone P. and Marlene D.

• Like 1

Great topic for a thread. I was really surprised by the twists and turns in PARASITE. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Great topic for a thread. I was really surprised by the twists and turns in PARASITE. 

...and how quickly they occurred!

• Like 1

Props to The Sixth Sense, which I saw in the theater. Rarely has a film had me driving back home replaying scenes in my head, so deeply analyzing individual scenes and the clues they provided.

• Like 2

The Others, with Nicole Kidman is another one.  I had caught on to The Sixth Sense about 5 minutes before the reveal, but did not see the twist in The Others coming.

• Like 1

Basic is a movie where the plot twists keep changing and make no sense (why are the bad guys going along?)

• Like 1

And one of the goofiest pasted-on twists in recent memory, No Way Out (1987).  

Considering it wasn't in the original 40's version of "The Big Clock", this one's got both feet firmly in last-minute studio-meddled Made-Up Crap territory.

13 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

The Others, with Nicole Kidman is another one.  I had caught on to The Sixth Sense about 5 minutes before the reveal, but did not see the twist in The Others coming.

Had both spoiled by the Internet (remember "spoiler trolls"?), but The Others was a giveaway in Kidman's first scene, while Sixth Sense, er...could have used a better time-transition scene after the escaped-patient.

Jacob's Ladder (1990) might actually work better as a creepy, atmospheric art piece if you know the twist going in, rather than the frustration of simply trying to crossword-puzzle the "big twist" which you end up thinking they wouldn't use for being too obvious.  At one point, the studio used that as the selling line to boost flagging box-office.

• Like 1

Like the comment re: No Way Out (not to be confused with Richard Widmark/Sidney Potier/Linda Darnell (sp?) film about racial unrest.  Doesn't quite fit the category; however, Rashamon still leaves baffled.  Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - should have seen it coming but was shocked by ending.  Same is true of Thelma and Louise.  Some people were surprised by the original Psycho (I was spoiled because my friend's mom told me about it years ago).  Also, there are background stories about Suspicion (Cary G. and Joan F.) and The Big Sleep re: their endings.  I think there also was a story about the ending of Fatal Attraction (personally, think Glenn Closes' performance is rather campy/over the top).

I remember watching JACOB'S LADDER.  Once.  A waste of time.  Same with WISDOM (1986).  I saw that in the theater at the ripe old age of 13.  I've not bothered to re-visit it since.  

A BIG HAND FOR THE LITTLE LADY (1966-Western) genuinely surprised me with its ending.  

I agree with Mr. Gorman about "A Big Hand For The Little Lady".  The only time I'd seen that film was when it last aired here on TCM.  I had also never seen "The Woman In The Window" (at least, not all the way through to the end) until it was shown Thursday on the last day of Edward G. Robinson's Star Of The Month treatment.  Both films had twist endings that surprised me.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I remember watching JACOB'S LADDER.  Once.  A waste of time. 

Like I said, it plays better if We Suspect What the Character Doesn't.  The otherwise out-of-nowhere Danny Aiello character works much better in context that way, and the artsy-creepy stuff in the early part starts to make more sense..

(Otherwise, it has the same abrupt "Anyway:  Years later..." problem with Bruce Willis in Sixth.)