Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

GLADIATOR vs/or SPARTACUS?

Recommended Posts

Most may remember i'm no fan of Kirk Douglas, but still always try to separate the 2 as individuals & SPARTACUS IS A MASSIVE ACHIEVEMENT-(THOUGH KURICK STARTED IT & AS MOST KNOW STILL GOT FINAL DIRECTING CREDIT, IRONICALLY NOT LIKE ONE-(style wise) OF HIS PIX AT ALL THOUGH?  Matter of fact even non massiv3e moviebuffs such as us on here are stunned KUBRICK ad anything to do with the excellent epic)

 

& I can guess the answers from TCM-ITES on here as to which epic they rank better IT or 2000's 5 time Oscar sweeper GLADIATOR ($188m.)

As for me I barely rate GLADIATOR over it, anchored by the richly deserved Best Actor winner (RUSSELL CROWE)

 

SPARTACUS WON 4 OSCARS, though not even up for BP Gold?)

NOMINEES THAT YEAR WERE>

*THE APARTMENT-(swept 5)

SONS & LOVERS

THE ALAMO

ELMER GANTRY-(likely runner up?)

& THE SUNDOWNERS

& lead the yrs $B.O.$ as A #1

(P.S. still strange to me that OLIVIER & not *USTINOV were in those Oscars or it instead though)

As for GLADIATOR that AMPAS year was split between it, Crouching Tiger & Traffic-(each won 4)

 

(P.S. I bet there aren't many that still haven't seen a couple CROWE films  ROMPER, STOMPER (1992) & THEINSIDER (1999)or 1995's Western THE QUICK AND THE DEAD,  PROOF OF LIFE (also from 2000) being another

& MORE TRIVIA/FUN FAX: DOUGLAS' fav film was not SPARTACUS, but 1962 's modern day western LONELY ARE THE BRAVE was his own personal favorite

 

At any rate, most must agree the battle sequences in the CROWE epic are in another league altogether, especially with MAXIMUS not only fighting a roman, but simultaneously tigers as well;!   STUNNINGLY ROBBED FOR OSCAR 6 IN FILM EDITING & like the DGA it also deserved Best Director

 

THANK YOU

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me?  I liked 'em both, giving the edge to SPARTACUS due to him being an actual person and the film was a Hollywood type attempt at a biopic.  And you might have trouble absorbing this, but-----

I DON'T JUDGE any movie on how many Oscar wins or nominations it ever received, or box office receipts it amassed.  There are many movies I really like that were given NO Academy award consideration, and several BIG Oscar winners that I though absolutely STUNK!  So--------

Sepiatone

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

and several BIG Oscar winners that I though absolutely STUNK!

... like TITANIC ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

... like TITANIC ?

dam right without the sfx titanic is nothing but a pos.

:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

dam right without the sfx titanic is nothing but a pos.

:D

Cameron thought people would thrill to Leonardo decaprio teaching his girlfriend how to spit.

I thought it was disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TITANIC does have a lot going for it, the least of which would be its ridiculous plot. 

 

I like GLADIATOR and RIDLEY SCOTT  hasn't made an uninteresting film though luxuriously indulgent it is. 

SPARTACUS by our beloved STANLEY KUBRICK, also indulgent, is less satisfying and more poignant and legendary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They both have something to recommend. If I had to pick one to watch right now, it would probably be Gladiator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Me?  I liked 'em both, giving the edge to SPARTACUS due to him being an actual person and the film was a Hollywood type attempt at a biopic.  And you might have trouble absorbing this, but-----

I DON'T JUDGE any movie on how many Oscar wins or nominations it ever received, or box office receipts it amassed.  There are many movies I really like that were given NO Academy award consideration, and several BIG Oscar winners that I though absolutely STUNK!  So--------

Sepiatone

thanx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Cameron thought people would thrill to Leonardo decaprio teaching his girlfriend how to spit.

I thought it was disgusting.

thanx, yet massive split on TITANIC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Me?  I liked 'em both, giving the edge to SPARTACUS due to him being an actual person and the film was a Hollywood type attempt at a biopic.  And you might have trouble absorbing this, but-----

I DON'T JUDGE any movie on how many Oscar wins or nominations it ever received, or box office receipts it amassed.  There are many movies I really like that were given NO Academy award consideration, and several BIG Oscar winners that I though absolutely STUNK!  So--------

Sepiatone

& also that powerhouse per by CROWE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody else believe Ustinov was not greater then OLIVIER?   Thiough AMPAX/Hollywood generally will take the bulk of work that year & USTNOV was also good in THE SUNDOWNERS & OLIVIER-(nommed) for THE ENTERTAINER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nu the way and am aware many don't pay attention t9 the Oscars, just a match-up below>

SPARTACUS won for s.actor (USTNOV), color-costumes, art-direction and a 4th, very tired right now & forget it?

 

1960 cinema is also a metaphor for it's scoring category out to lunch, what with PSYCHO, MAGNIFICENT 7, INHERIT THE WIND, TE ALAMO, SPARTACUS being snubbed in favor of the eventual winning music for EXODUS winning???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spence said:

SPARTACUS won for s.actor (USTNOV), color-costumes, art-direction and a 4th, very tired right now & forget it?

Color cinematography

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spence said:

nu the way and am aware many don't pay attention t9 the Oscars, just a match-up below>

SPARTACUS won for s.actor (USTNOV), color-costumes, art-direction and a 4th, very tired right now & forget it?

 

1960 cinema is also a metaphor for it's scoring category out to lunch, what with PSYCHO, MAGNIFICENT 7, INHERIT THE WIND, TE ALAMO, SPARTACUS being snubbed in favor of the eventual winning music for EXODUS winning???

alex north's score is one of the best things about Spartacus in fact someone wrote the music makes up for some of the film's dramatic weaknesses.

I can't comment on GLADIATOR having never seen it.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

200.gif

"So Joey, do you like movies about...."

(...well, you know)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, my pick here wouldn't be either of these two.

Nope, for my money that 1964 Italian/French collaborative epic Hercules Against the Moon Men stands head and shoulders (and on its little sandals with sword in hand) above the rest in this film genre.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

... like TITANIC ?

I really didn't think TITANIC was all that bad. Quite an ambitious achievement.  But yeah, like THE DEER HUNTER, could have stood a bit more cutting the length. And too, the FX were good, and showing the ship breaking up and sinking in two parts, something earlier Titanic flicks didn't, made it work for me.  And that ending was kinda cool too.

I've seen better movies, sure.  But I've also seen much worse.  And I've learned to, way before the movie came out, how to tune out Celine Dion when hearing her first note.  So THAT made the movie more enjoyable. ;) 

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Btw, my pick here wouldn't be either of these two.

Nope, for my money that 1964 Italian/French collaborative epic Hercules Against the Moon Men stands head and shoulders (and on its little sandals with sword in hand) above the rest in this film genre.

 

Another classic. Didn't Hercules actually moon the Moon Men at one point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Another classic. Didn't Hercules actually moon the Moon Men at one point?

LOL

Well, that wasn't hard to do with those skimpy little Gladiator outfits they wore back then ya know, Tom.

(...nope, more than half the time that sort'a thing was merely accidental)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Well, that wasn't hard to do with those skimpy little Gladiator outfits they wore back then ya know, Tom.

(...nope, more than half the time that sort'a thing was merely accidental)

Well boys in skimpy outfits will moon beam boys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of Kubrick's eleven "official" movies, Spartacus is the least favorite among cinephiles, since Kubrick wasn't able to impose his vision on it, and had to obey Douglas.  But it's clearly a better movie than Gladiator.  For a start, Olivier, Ustinov and Laughton do a fine job as supporting actors.  Crowe won an oscar, but it's hard to justify his portentous glowering, and even harder to think he was the best male lead performance of 2000 or that his was his best performance.  As for the politics, they may be simplified and sentimentalized in Spartacus, but America needs a movie about slave rebellion.  By contrast, the politics in Gladiator are basically imaginary.  Gladiator was the beneficiary of a weird sort of nostalgia.  Ben-Hur was hardly a brilliant best picture winner, but apparently elderly Academy voters thought an even less interesting movie in the same vein deserved to win best picture as well.  I suppose the one thing about Gladiator is that it makes me curious to see The Fall of the Roman Empire, a movie on the same topic.  And Anthony Mann is a better director than Ridley Scott--Blade Runner was a black swan event that differed from the usual soulless mechanism. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all for submitting your input!    Another CRO)WE film he made I never even saw was THE SUM OF US, about a father, son in Australian & dealing with the son admitting he was gay

ROMPER, STOMPER (also aussie) that should be seen if not really admired as a subject matter

Think it's from New Zealand & not Aussie though?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skimpole said:

Of Kubrick's eleven "official" movies, Spartacus is the least favorite among cinephiles, since Kubrick wasn't able to impose his vision on it, and had to obey Douglas.  But it's clearly a better movie than Gladiator.  For a start, Olivier, Ustinov and Laughton do a fine job as supporting actors.  Crowe won an oscar, but it's hard to justify his portentous glowering, and even harder to think he was the best male lead performance of 2000 or that his was his best performance.  As for the politics, they may be simplified and sentimentalized in Spartacus, but America needs a movie about slave rebellion.  By contrast, the politics in Gladiator are basically imaginary.  Gladiator was the beneficiary of a weird sort of nostalgia.  Ben-Hur was hardly a brilliant best picture winner, but apparently elderly Academy voters thought an even less interesting movie in the same vein deserved to win best picture as well.  I suppose the one thing about Gladiator is that it makes me curious to see The Fall of the Roman Empire, a movie on the same topic.  And Anthony Mann is a better director than Ridley Scott--Blade Runner was a black swan event that differed from the usual soulless mechanism. 

PREMIERE mag as they usually did=-(IT WAS 20 TIMES SUPERIOR TO EW!) did a huge pc 0on SPARTACUS ^ basically it was DOUGLAS VS. KURBICK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BARRABAS also had those fight scenes, but pale in comparison, especially to GLADIATOR!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...