Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

GLADIATOR vs/or SPARTACUS?

20 hours ago, TomJH said:

Another classic. Didn't Hercules actually moon the Moon Men at one point?

pretty good one   Due to them being so hugely popular in the '50's these were nicknamed SWORD & SANDAL EPICS

On 5/31/2020 at 8:26 PM, NipkowDisc said:

dam right without the sfx titanic is nothing but a pos.

:D

NipKnow, you must truly loath TITANIC from 1997, huh

Now would LEE (Hector) MARVIN?

On a connection level due to CROWE again-(seems like nobody saw those 4-5 I listed though)?

I do recall some did see the 1995 Sam Raimi Western with an utterly dynamic again GENE HACKMAN in QUICK & THEDEAD  It's wotrh seeing (**1/2)mostly if your a HACKMAN or WESTERN fan & to date & I've seem just about all, THE FASTEST DRAW IN CINEMATIC HISTORY in the then 65 year old actor!!!

On 5/31/2020 at 9:06 AM, cigarjoe said:

Me...  Gladiator.

agreed!

^ DID NOT INCOUDE 2 CROWE FILMS, BECAUSE TOOK IT FOR GRANTED MOST ON HERE ALREADY SAW THEM  MASTER & COMMANDER-(where as most know the ACADEMY takes all even in reg life into consideration & RUSSELL had just lost his alcoholic temper 7 threw a phone at some weasel in a hotel) & SURE ENOUGH, M & C EARNED 10 NODS, BUT THE LEFT HIM OUT? & CINDERELLA MAN-(NOTE: not only my overall fav of his, Zellweger & Ron Howard's)

Quite frankly it's not a close contest for me -  SPARTACUS all the way.

The cast of the Kubrick film is vastly superior, with supporting portrayals by Ustinov, Laughton and Olivier vivid and even complex. At the same time the two leads, Kirk Douglas and Jean Simmons, bring a poignancy to a few of their scenes together. Speaking of Douglas, not only is he sufficiently physical in the lead role of Spartacus but he brings a sensitivity to the part, as well, as opposed to the constant macho glower of Russell Crowe in Gladiator.

So much of Gladiator is taken up with the predictably psychotic portrayal of Joaquin Phoenix as crackpot Emperor that, at almost three hours, it becomes a bit tiresome to watch him after a while. As entertainment, he hardly compares to the enjoyable theatrics of the three British supporting players in Spartacus.

Furthermore Spartacus has a message in its screenplay, not overplayed, about respect for the individual, in particular, the oppressed under dog in an authoritarian society that still rings true, even if some today might regard it as leftist propaganda. The 1960 film, which further benefits from an impressive, sweeping musical score by Alex North, also dares to have a downbeat yet poignant ending based on history.

In contrast to that I thought the melodramatics of Gladiator's ring finale and its outcome uninvolving and really quite hokey. SPOILER: All that business with the dead warrior floating to join his deceased family waiting for him? Come on! Is anyone actually emotionally involved in whatever happens to any of the characters in Gladiator? If any were,  I was certainly not one of them.

Overall, I thought Gladiator an okay but overlong time waster. Spartacus goes on too long, as well, but, for me, stands up as arguably the most intelligent of Roman Empire epics and a model of its kind.

One more thing, I'm always impressed by the elaborate battle or action scenes done in a film, such as Spartacus, in which you know real people and real stunt men participated in what you see on screen. All of the CGI work in a film like Gladiator, while superficially enjoyable enough to watch, still leaves me a little cold knowing that so much of what we are watching on screen is coming from a computer.

• Like 1

Re: GLADIATOR vs/or SPARTACUS?

I like both, why the comparison of  two totally different movies?  The story of Spartacus actually happened.  Even though "Gladiator" is fiction, still has a nice plot, wish Crowe didn't die at the end.

Warning to the sensitive....following link has  a statue that needs a loincloth.

Spartacus: History of Gladiator Revolt Leader

https://www.livescience.com/39730-spartacus.html

• Thanks 1

I love both GLADIATOR and SPARTACUS....but if push comes to shove, I have to give the edge to SPARTACUS.  But don't ask me to say why.

But really both movies have a lot going for it....a hero you could root for, Spartacus (Kirk Douglas) and Maximus (Russell Crowe) in GLADIATOR.

Both movies had despicable villains SPARTACUS had Crassus (Laurence Olivier) and GLADIATOR had Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix).

Both films had superb supporting casts as well (Olivier, Charles Laughton, Peter Ustinov for Kubrick's epic, Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, and Derek Jacobi in Ridley Scott's classic).

Both GLADIATOR and SPARTACUS end on a sad but satisfying note.

(And for the record I also love TITANIC, so sue me!).