Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BingFan

"Coming Up" format

Between two of this morning's Frank Morgan movies,  I noticed that the "Coming Up" screen (or whatever it's called) had a slightly different format.  Instead of providing the starting times for the next three movies, the "Coming Up" screen instead just said "Next," "Then," and "Later."

What do you think?  Is this new format as useful to you?  Is there some good reason to not include the starting times?

I prefer to have the actual starting times, so that I know how much time I have to get ready for the next movie.  When a movie ends, the next one's starting time can be anywhere from immediately to almost a half hour away, so "Next" isn't very helpful.

(Apologies if someone has already raised this as a topic, but I didn't see it elsewhere.)

• Like 1

I didn't see this elsewhere either.  And I'm with you.  

Sepiatone

I hadn't noticed. I usually had to go stand right in front of my 17" screen TV to see the times, but in recent years, I'm more likely to know the times for the prime time movies thanks to having looked at the schedule online early in the day.

Okay, I made a point of paying attention tonight, and yes, the very vague "next", "then" and "later" are more than a little jarring to this longtime TCM watcher. I can only assume the idea is to try to encourage people not to change the channel or turn off their TVs when they realize the next film isn't for half an hour. Clearly an instance of TCM caring more about maintaining its viewership than providing any useful service to their viewers. Boo.

• Sad 1

At the very least, it makes sense for the cases where they show blocks of consecutive shorts.  Shorts blocks are never able to stay on schedule.

Of course normal length features are a different story.

• Thanks 1

Other movie channels have been doing this for quite a while.  I prefer the times being listed.

I don't think trying to hang on to viewers is a factor.  TCM doesn't make money based on the number of viewers, since they don't sell advertising time.  They make money based on the number of subscribers - people who pay for the service through their cable bill, whether or not they watch.  Other avenues of revenue include the lifestyle products (wine club, the books, DVDs, clothing, etc)

Well, they want the viewers to hang around to see the Wine Club and Backlot spots between films.

• Haha 2

I'm surprised I didn't notice this either. I have noticed that some of the movies seemed to be on almost immediately after the previous one.

It may be a result of the pandemic at home intros. They can't be edited and so the timing is out the window.

yeah...........don't get it

what's the point??   :blink:

giphy.gif