Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As we know, many actors and actresses change their names when they go into show business.  However, some make the change after they have been billed under one name.  I noticed that in the current TCM Saturday serial, "Terry And The Pirates", Terry's friend, Pat Ryan, is played by an actor billed as Granville Owen.   I was sure that the actor was Jeff York, early in his career.  I looked up his bio and found that his real name was Granville Owen Scofield.   The serial was made in 1940.  After military service in World War II, he changed his name to Jeff York.  Baby Boomers may remember him as Mike Fink, keelboat captain and rival and then friend of Davy Crockett in Disney's popular Davy Crockett series in the fifties.   He did several movies for Disney, as well as a TV mini-series about frontiersman Andy Burnett.  I saw him recently in a Perry Mason episode and just today in a Lone Ranger episode.

Classic Film and TV Café: Davy Crockett A-fightin' Some River Pirates!  

Last week, I was watching an old Hopalong Cassidy western called "Rustler's Valley".   One of the actors who was in several of the "Hoppy" movies was billed as Stephen Morris.  He usually played a villain, but in this instance he was a good guy.  Shorty after these films, he changed his stage name to his real name of Morris Ankrum.  He appeared in hundreds of movies and TV shows, often playing a military officer or an Indian chief.  Late in his career, he often played a judge on "Perry Mason".

Morris Ankrum Birthday, Real Name, Age, Weight, Height, Family ... 

Playing the villain in "Rustler's Valley" was an actor billed as Lee Colt .  I knew as soon as I heard his voice that it was Lee J. Cobb.  He was billed as Lee Colt in two early westerns before changing his name to Lee J. Cobb.

William Boyd, Muriel Evans, Lee J. Cobb, and Dot Farley in ... 

Recently, on an old episode of "The Lone Ranger" I thought I recognized an actress who played the mother of a young boy who is kidnapped by outlaws.  She was billed as Beverly Campbell.  I looked up her bio and found that my suspicions were correct.  It was Beverly Garland early in her career.  Her first husband was named Campbell.  Her second husband was actor Richard Garland.  She, of course, would later star in a TV series called "Decoy", about a police woman, and much later she would join the cast of "My Three Sons".

The Beeler Gang (1950) 

Not long ago, I saw a very familiar face playing a boxer on an episode of "The Roy Rogers Show".  He was billed as Charles Buchinski.  As many of you know, he would later be known as Charles Bronson.  He was billed under the Buchinski name for several years.  That includes the "House Of Wax" movie with Vincent Price.

Bronson's Loose Again - Home | Facebook 

These were just a few examples of actors and actresses changing their names after they started their film careers.  I saw these episodes over the course of just a couple of weeks.  Can you think of others that fit this category?

• Like 3

Two others come immediate to mind here, Miles.

Byron Barr...

s-l640.jpg

...who after being in only a couple of films, would change his name to Gig Young, and which had been the character's name he played in a film he had just been in.

And, Herman Brix...

1345272_bruce-bennett_1.jpeg

...who'd change his name to Bruce Bennett after making a number of films using his Brix moniker.

Between the ages of 17 and 19, Rita Hayworth appeared in at least 10 films billed by her birth name of Rita (short for Margarita) Cansino.

Rita Hayworth in Trouble in Texas (1937)

• Like 1

Julie Adams started out as Betty Adams then Julia Adams before settling on Julie Adams in 1955

Creature from the Black Lagoon actress Julie Adams dies

Marie Blake Picture

This actress, sister of Jeanette MacDonald, was credited under the following names:

• Marie Blake
  • Blossom MacDonald
  • Blossom Rock

She's probably best known as Grandmama, from The Addams Family television series in the 1960s.

• Like 1

Max Showalter's name was changed to "Casey Adams" by Darryl F. Zanuck when Showalter was signed to 20th Century Fox in the 40s.  

Under his new name, he appeared in many  films and TV shows, including Niagara  (1953) with Marilyn Monroe and Joseph Cotten; and It Happened to Jane (1959) with Doris Day and Jack Lemmon.   He also appeared as "Casey Adams" when he played  Ward Cleaver in the pilot for Leave It To Beaver.  (Hugh Beaumont, of course, played Ward in the series itself.) 

Showalter went back to his original name in the 60s and appeared in such well-known films as Elmer Gantry (1960) with Burt Lancaster and Shirley Jones; The Music Man (1962), again with Jones and Robert Preston; and How to Murder Your Wife (1965), again with Lemmon.  Showalter appeared in many other movies and TV shows until his retirement in 1984.  (My thanks to Wikipedia and IMDB for some of these details.)

B_showalter01.jpg.cbbfbc9eea80c30b9e5c4fff53a5aa10.jpg

• Like 2

Penny Singleton in Blondie Brings Up Baby (1939)

Penny Singleton, best remembered for playing Blondie in the Blondie series, started life as Mariana Dorothy Agnes Letitia McNulty.  As a child in vaudeville, she was billed as Penny McNulty.  After she married dentist Lawrence Singleton and moved to Hollywood, she appeared in several films billed as Dorothy McNulty.  Starting in 1938, she took and kept the name of Penny Singleton.   

How about KREKOR OHANIAN's agent changing his client's name to "TOUCH CONNORS, who then changed it to MIKE Connors?   Of course, he never worked under his birth name of Krekor.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Some of you may remember the opening credits to this 1960's WWII desert warfare themed television series...

If you watched the above short clip, you'd have noticed that third billed was an actor named Hans Gudegast.

Well, as I'm sure some of you also know, Hans would change his name to Eric Braeden and go on to become a mainstay on daytime television soaps.

• Like 1

Then there was Bill Cosby, whose name became Mud.

• Haha 4

Harry_Morgan_in_1975.JPG

Henry Morgan changed his name to Harry Morgan to avoid confusion with humorist Henry Morgan.

• Like 1

AND, for a very short time in the mid-1960s, actor Tony Curtis changed his name to Stony Curtis after he had been mysteriously transported back to the stone age.

(...well okay...kind'a sort'a anyway)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

AND, for a short time in the mid-1960s, actor Tony Curtis changed his name to Stony Curtis after he had been mysteriously transported back to the stone age.

Is that where he met Ann-Margrock?

I mentioned Roy Rogers earlier.  His real name was Leonard Slye.  He and Bob Nolan formed the singing group "The Sons Of The Pioneers" in the thirties and the group appeared in several western movies with Roy being called Musician Len.   In a movie with Gene Autry called "The Old Barn Dance", Roy played a square dance caller and he was billed as Dick Weston.  Shortly thereafter, he became a solo star and the studio changed his name to Roy Rogers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Penny Singleton started life as Mariana Dorothy Agnes Letitia McNulty.

Whoa, I thought only Latinos went with those multiple names.

Fun thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

AND, for a very short time in the mid-1960s, actor Tony Curtis changed his name to Stony Curtis after he had been mysteriously transported back to the stone age.

12 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Is that where he met Ann-Margrock?

As I recall, they met in Hollyrock (or possibly Rock Vegas).  They were introduced to one another by Cary Granite.  This was well before Wilma Flintstone's husband got conked on the head and assumed his alter ego 'Fred-er-ick' (international playboy and bon-vivant)!

Do you remember Dennis O'Keefe?  His real name was Edward Flanagan.  He was in literally hundreds of movies in the thirties as an extra or in bit parts.  When he did get billing, it was as Bud Flanagan.  If you blinked, you might miss him in movies like "42nd Street", "Gold Diggers Of 1935", and "Top Hat".   The story goes that he was working in "Saratoga" in 1937 when Clark Gable noticed him and recommended him to the MGM bosses for bigger roles.  They changed his name to Dennis O'Keefe and gave him bigger roles and his career took off.  You may remember him in "The Fighting Seabees" with John Wayne and "The Story Of Dr. Wassell" with Gary Cooper.  He also did several leading man roles in the forties like "Dishonored Lady" with Hedy Lamar.    In the fifties he turned to television and even had his own sitcom, "The Dennis O'Keefe Show" in 1959.

Dennis O'Keefe Picture 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Whoa, I thought only Latinos went with those multiple names.

Fun thread.

Maybe the guys, but(and as you know) my wife, a Mexican, had no middle name, let alone three or more.  ;)  I used to kid her about that.  Like with the joke---

A little boy comes home from his first day in a new school and his Mother asked if he made any new friends.  He replied, ;

"Yeah, today I met Miguel, Luis, Allesandro, Pedro, Marcos, Juan Gonzalez."   And his Mom said, "Wow, that's a LOT of new friends.  Are they all brothers?"  and the kid answered;

"That's just ONE GUY!"  :D  

She always got a kick out of that 'cause she did know some guys in her neighborhood who had those multiple names.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Earl Stanley Morner was first billed as "Stanley Morner" during his MGM contract, then as "Richard Stanley" with Paramount, before finally settling at Warner Bros. under his most well-known name:

Dennis_Morgan_in_The_Hard_Way_trailer_2.jpg.812b1ff9322ddf0e99a1dd223fc76d26.jpg 

• Like 3

Anne Shirley adopted that name after she played that character in Anne of Green Gables. She had previously been billed as Dawn O'Day, a name that sounds more like a stripper than like a little girl.

Ellen Burstyn previously had gone by a variety of names, including Ellen McRae.

Patricia Barry was billed as Patricia White before she married the son of playwright Philip Barry.

• Thanks 1

Dargo must be sleeping so somebody's  gotta do it, Remember Glen or Glenda?

Glen or Glenda - Wikipedia

• Haha 1

Robert Douglass Montgomery, who was the young soldier in the original Waterloo Bridge (1930).  MGM  later changed his name to Kent Douglass (for later films like Little Women (1933), but

then he changed back to Douglass Montgomery.Mae Clarke and Douglass Montgomery in Waterloo Bridge (1931)

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 2:19 AM, Dargo said:

Two others come immediate to mind here, Miles.

Byron Barr...

s-l640.jpg

...who after being in only a couple of films, would change his name to Gig Young, and which had been the character's name he played in a film he had just been in.

And, Herman Brix...

1345272_bruce-bennett_1.jpeg

...who'd change his name to Bruce Bennett after making a number of films using his Brix moniker.

I knew that Gig Young had taken his name from a character in one of his earlier films, had no idea that Bruce Bennett had changed his name before he made his mark in the movies.

Joseph Yule, Jr. went on to become Mickey Rooney until the end of his days.

And of course Marion Morrison once he hit the silver screen, would forever call himself John Wayne, aka The Duke.

Carol Lombard became Carole Lombard.

Okay, okay, not exactly earth shattering but spelling counts here, too, doesn't it?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Carol Lombard became Carole Lombard.

Okay, okay, not exactly earth shattering but spelling counts here, too, doesn't it?

Well, YEAH Tom. It DOES! Of COURSE it does!

(...why do ya think I'm always griping about that superfluous-'u' that you and those Brits so needlessly spell with, HUH?!!!)

;)