Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, and speakin' of those Brits...

While I've never been able to verify the following, I've heard Alec Guinness started out in the biz as Alec Stout Ale.

(...sorry)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Okay, and speakin' of those Brits...

While I've never been able to verify the following, I've heard Alec Guinness started out in the biz as Alec Stout Ale.

(...sorry)

I believe that was only after his appearance on the London stage in Shakespeare's Henry IV in which he played Falstaff.

• Like 1

In the early 1960's, a pretty young actress had minor roles in about half a dozen movies, but only received billing in one of them.  She used her real name of Donna Lee Hickey.  In 1954, she landed one of the few female roles in "The Caine Mutiny", as the girlfriend of Ensign Willie Keith.  The character's name was May Wynn, and much like Anne Shirley and Gig Young did years earlier, she changed her professional name to May Wynn for the rest of her career, which ended at the end of the decade.

May Wynn - Wikipedia 

She was married to "Maverick" actor Jack Kelly from 1956 to 1964. 

There was a young character actor whose real name was Justus McQueen.  He was billed under his own name in his first movie, a 1955 war film called "Battle Cry" in which he played a soldier named L.Q. Jones.  From then on, he was billed as L.Q. Jones for the rest of his lengthy career.  Possibly, the fact that there was another young actor named McQueen trying to break into movies at that time, may have influenced the change.  L.Q. Jones became a favorite of director Sam Peckinpah, appearing in films like "The Wild Bunch", "Ride The High Country" and "The Ballad Of Cable Hogue".  

L.Q. Jones Original Autographed 8X10#2 at Amazon's Entertainment ... 

If you ever see an actress in some forties movies billed as Patricia White, you may think she resembles actress Patricia Barry.  That's because it's the same actress.  Patricia White used her own name in several films in the 1940's.  In 1950 she married producer Phillip Barry Jr, whose father was the famed playwright of "The Philadelphia Story" and "Holiday".  She then adopted her married name as her stage name.  Her career lasted more than fifty years, much of it spent appearing on various TV series.

1962-01-25 Patricia Barry - My Three Sons | WOmWAm Review Image ... 

A character actor who started his film career in the late 1960's was Allen Garfield.  He played a variety of roles, but he was probably best known for playing sleazy, low life types in both movies and TV shows.  In 1978 he changed his name back to his original name and for the next five years he was billed as Allen Goorwitz.  Then, in 1983, he changed it back to  Allen Garfield and that was his stage name for the rest of his career.

Allen Garfield, elite '70s character actor, dies at 80 due to ... 

Many of you remember Gloria Stuart as the old woman in "Titanic".  Some may not know that she was a busy leading lady in the 1930's.  She appeared in "The Old Dark House", "The Invisible Man", "Gold Diggers Of 1935", and a couple of Shirley Temple movies, "Poor Little Rich Girl" and "Rebecca Of Sunnybrook Farm" among others.  She was one of the founders of The Screen Actors Guild.  Her original name was spelled S-T-E-W-A-R-T and she spelled it like that when she started as a stage actress.  She changed it to S-T-U-A-R-T when she went into movies.  The reason was so that her first and last names would have the same number of letters.  That way they would line up better on a marquee or a movie poster.

Gloria Stuart - IMDb | Gloria, Stuart 

Gloria Stuart | James Cameron's Titanic Wiki | Fandom 

Some people thought that she was married to actor James Stewart, but that was a different Gloria Stewart.

• Like 4

One actress who also took her professional name from a character that she played in her first film was originally Suzanne Burce, who was a child singer on radio in Oregon.  She auditioned for MGM and was signed to a contract at age fifteen.  Her first movie was a loan out to United Artists for the 1944 film "Song Of The Open Road" where she played a character named Jane Powell.  Of course, from then on,  she was never billed under any other name. 

Young starlet Jane Powell, 1944 in ''Song of the Open Road… | Flickr 

Jane Powell at fifteen. 

Jane Powell - Wikipedia 

Jane as a young adult.

• Like 2

This is opposite to this thread but I would like to take a moment to state that I am very glad that: Honeysuckle Weeks did not change her name. There is a nuance to that name which I find as charming as she is. It would have been a shame if some agent or director or producer had forced her to change it to Bridget Annuals or some other mainstream-sounding name. 

Really SANS.  That sounds more like a name some producer or director would change an actresses name TO.  Obviously at 40, Ms. Week's parents might be at the age of those '60's "flower power" mavens who would give their newborns such a name, as did my wife's stepsister who named her daughter SUNSHINE and her son SEQUOIA !  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

And yet another instance which might not be exactly in keeping with this thread's intent and due in this case to the subject's never having their actual given name credited on any movie's list of cast members, but I've always found this one to be interesting in how their stage name would come about, and in this case not via some Hollywood producer or agent suggesting the change but by their own volition:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

740full-slim-pickens.jpg

Louis Burton Lindley Jr. was born in Kingsburg, California,[2] the son of Sally Mosher (née Turk) and Louis Bert Lindley Sr., a Texas-born dairy farmer. Young Lindley was an excellent horse rider from an early age. Known as "Burt" to his family and friends, he grew bored with dairy farming and began to make a few dollars by riding broncos and roping steers in his early teens. His father found out and forbade this activity, but Lindley took no notice, went to compete in a rodeo, and was told by the doubtful rodeo manager that there would be "slim pickin's" (i.e. little chance of any prize money) for him.

To prevent his father from discovering that he had competed, he entered his name as Slim Pickens, and won $400 that afternoon. Lindley graduated from Hanford High School, Hanford, California, and was a member of the Future Farmers of America. He joined the rodeo, billed as Slim Pickens, and eventually became a well-known rodeo clown.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Really SANS.  That sounds more like a name some producer or director would change an actresses name TO.  Obviously at 40, Ms. Week's parents might be at the age of those '60's "flower power" mavens who would give their newborns such a name, as did my wife's stepsister who named her daughter SUNSHINE and her son SEQUOIA !  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

I would expect an actor of Rock Hudson or Rip Torn vintage to have an inanely-cutsie name. 'Honeysuckle' seems to me to be much less fad and more homegrown.

• Like 1

I understand "Rip" is a nickname that was a family tradition in the Torn family.  So it too, isn't a "stage name"  I always dug it for it's "before and after" quality.  ROCK HUDSON's named was changed to that by a talent scout.  

Sepiatone

23 hours ago, Dargo said:

He joined the rodeo, billed as Slim Pickens, and eventually became a well-known rodeo clown.

According to Jeffrey Richardson,  assistant curator at the Autry National Center of the American West ... as a rodeo clown, Pickens was "so ugly he didn't need the makeup."

• Like 2

A young dancer made her feature film debut in 1943's "Something To Shout About", which has been shown on TCM.  She was billed as Lily Norwood.    In all future movies, she was billed as Cyd Charisse.  Yes, born Tula Ellice Finklea, she married her one time dance teacher, Nico Charisse, when she was eighteen.  Her first name, Cyd, was a family nickname.  When her brother was learning to talk, he tried to call her Sis, but it came out Sid.  With a spelling change, she became Cyd.

Cyd Charisse - IMDb 

• Like 3

Kinda reminds me of my ex's grandmother, who with her thick and unidentifiable accent used to pronounce her granddaughter's name "Cindy" as "SYDNEY".  When her best friend heard of it she started calling my ex "Sid" as a nickname that stuck with my ex until she died in '04.

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Kinda reminds me of my ex's grandmother, who with her thick and unidentifiable accent used to pronounce her granddaughter's name "Cindy" as "SYDNEY".  When her best friend heard of it she started calling my ex "Sid" as a nickname that stuck with my ex until she died in '04.

Sepiatone

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But lets get down to brass tacks here, Sepia.

DID your ex have legs like THIS???...

1950s-Cyd-Gene-620.jpg

;)

Do you know this guy.  You may have seen him playing a policeman in "Nora Prentiss" on TCM this week.  

clifton young - Google Search (With images) | Young actors ... 

His name was Clifton Young.  He is perhaps better known for playing the man with an old jalopy who gives Humphrey Bogart a ride in "Dark Passage".   Later in the movie, he becomes a blackmailer.

Clifton Young | Discover New Movies | Noovie 

Besides being in several movies in the late forties, he was also a semi-regular in the Joe McDoakes shorts with George O'Hanlon.  

Now look at the boy in these photos.

Clifton Young - Wikipedia 

Robert 'Bonedust' Young... | The Little Rascals  

It's the same guy.  He was a child actor in the "Our Gang" comedies of the late twenties and early thirties when the gang featured Jackie Cooper, Farina, Chubby, Wheezer , and Mary Ann.  He played a rather dim-witted boy named "Bonedust".  However, his name at the time was Bobby Young.  When he became an adult actor, he thought that the name Bobby was too juvenile sounding.  He couldn't use his real name of Robert Young because  there was already a well established actor with that name, so he used his mother's maiden name of Clifton for his first name.

He died tragically in a hotel fire at age thirty-three.  He fell asleep in bed with a lit cigarette in his hand.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But lets get down to brass tacks here, Sepia.

DID your ex have legs like THIS???...

1950s-Cyd-Gene-620.jpg

;)

Sorry Darg, but that's one of those images that (for some reason) don't show up on my PC screen.  But I've seen CYD'S legs before, know how good they looked, and meaning no disrespect to my late wife(who also had nice legs, although shorter than most) my ex's legs were pretty good. 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sorry Darg, but that's one of those images that (for some reason) don't show up on my PC screen.  But I've seen CYD'S legs before, know how good they looked, and meaning no disrespect to my late wife(who also had nice legs, although shorter than most) my ex's legs were pretty good. 

Sepiatone

The pic I posted was that famous shot of Cyd in the "Broadway Melody" number in Singin' in the Rain, and where while sitting on a chair in gun moll mode, she has her leg kicked out and Gene Kelly's straw hat dangling from her shoe as he's kneeling beside.

• Thanks 1

In the movie "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers", two of the "brides" were portrayed by actresses billed under their real names, who would go on to long careers under different names.  Actress Julie Newmar was billed as Julie Newmeyer.

Julie Newmar as Dorcas. (With images) | Lace wedding dress vintage ... She would  be one of several actresses to play Catwoman on the "Batman" TV series.

The other actress is Ruta Lee, who was billed as Ruta Kilmonis.

Classic Film and TV Café: An Interview with Ruta Lee: A Lively ... 

• Like 1

Here's something you may not have known.  Actor Christoper Walken was a juvenile actor working for years using his real name of Ronnie Walken.   He was from New York City and had an older brother Ken, and a younger brother Glenn, who were also child actors. Young Ronnie was primarily a stage actor in New York, both on and off Broadway, although he did appear in some TV shows, including "The Guiding Light" with his brother Glenn. 

National Film Preservation Foundation: The Boy Who Saw Through (1958) 

Ronnie Walken, later Christopher Walken

Christopher Walken through the years 

L-R,  Glenn Walken, Ronnie Walken

In 1963, the still teenage Ronnie got some national exposure when he landed a role on an episode of "The Naked City", playing the son of Eddie Albert.   The episode had the memorable title "Robin Hood And Clarence Darrow, They Went Out With The Bow And Arrow".  The son's name was Chris.   Strangely, his brother Glenn had played Eddie Albert's son in a 1952 TV series called "Leave It To Larry".

The next year, Ronnie was working as a dancer in a nightclub act for actress Monique Van Vooren, She suggested he change his name to something that suited him more as a dramatic actor.  From then on, he was Christopher Walken. 

Of course, he went on to win an Oscar for "The Deer Hunter ".

Walken in The Deer Hunter as Nick (With images) | Christopher ...   

He was also Oscar nominated for "Catch Me If You Can".

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN - Frank Abagnale (Christopher Walken) Cadillac ... 

His wife and brothers still call him Ronnie.  From others, he prefers just Chris. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you remember a pretty young actress named Pamela Austin?   She was billed as Pamela Kirk when she appeared with Elvis in "Blue Hawaii" playing a teenage girl in a tour group.  She later was in another Elvis movie, "Kissin' Cousins".   However, she is probably best remembered as "The Dodge Girl" in a series of commercials for the car company.  That led to her starring with Pat Boone in a remake of "The Perils Of Pauline" in 1967.

Pamela Austin - IMDb 

Find a Death Forum 

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I was reminded that actress Julie Bishop had worked for years under the name Jacqueline Wells.  TCM showed one of her movies on Monday, July 6th.  She was born Jacqueline Wells Brown and she was a child actress in silent movies in the 1920's.  As a young adult in the thirties, she was a very busy actress.  You may remember her as Buster Crabbe's leading lady in "Tarzan The Fearless" from 1933.  

English: Jacqueline Wells (aka Julie Bishop) & Buster Crabbe in ...

She even appeared in a 1932 serial called "Heroes Of The West" where she was billed as Diane Duval.

In 1941, she signed a contract with Warner Bros.  They changed her name to Julie Bishop.  She appeared opposite some top stars in the forties and fifties, including Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, John Wayne, and Alan Ladd,

Julie Bishop - (08/30/1914 - 08/30/2001) died age 87. Actress ... 

Her daughter, Pamela Susan Shoop, became an actress and appeared on many TV shows from the seventies to the nineties.

Pamela Susan Shoop | Halloween Series Wiki | Fandom 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I was reminded that actress Julie Bishop had worked for years under the name Jacqueline Wells.  TCM showed one of her movies on Monday, July 6th.  She was born Jacqueline Wells Brown and she was a child actress in silent movies in the 1920's.  As a young adult in the thirties, she was a very busy actress.  You may remember her as Buster Crabbe's leading lady in "Tarzan The Fearless" from 1933.  

English: Jacqueline Wells (aka Julie Bishop) & Buster Crabbe in ...

She even appeared in a 1932 serial called "Heroes Of The West" where she was billed as Diane Duval.

In 1941, she signed a contract with Warner Bros.  They changed her name to Julie Bishop.  She appeared opposite some top stars in the forties and fifties, including Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, John Wayne, and Alan Ladd,

Julie Bishop - (08/30/1914 - 08/30/2001) died age 87. Actress ... 

Her daughter, Pamela Susan Shoop, became an actress and appeared on many TV shows from the seventies to the nineties.

Pamela Susan Shoop | Halloween Series Wiki | Fandom 

While I might not remember her mother all that well, I do remember Pamela guesting on quite a few television series during those years your mentioned, Miles. She always caught my eye in them, as I thought she was very attractive. 

And so wondering how she might look today, I googled her name and found a fairly recent video interview of her done during some Halloween movie series retrospective convention in 2018. She's 70 years old here according to her Wiki bio page, and she's still quite attractive, I'd say...

Here's a bunch from my Pinterest pages......sorry if some have already been named. Some are from the silent film age as well as "talkies".

Alice Faye - Alice Jeane Leppert

Marie Dressler - Leila Marie Koerber

Dolores Del Rio - María de los Dolores Asúnsolo López-Negrete

Esther Ralston - Esther Louise Worth

Marian Marsh - Violet Ethelred Krauth

Claudette Colbert - Emilie (Lily) Claudette Chauchoin

Bessie Love - Juanita Horton

Ginger Rogers - Virginia Katherine McMath

Anna May Wong - Wong Liu Tsong

Alice Terry - Alice Frances Taaffe

Mary Astor - Lucile Vasconcellos Langhanke

Edward G. Robinson - Emanuel Goldenberg

Clark Gable - William Clark Gable

Mary Pickford - Gladys Louise Smith

Alice White - Alva Violet White

Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. - Douglas Elton Thomas

Barbara LaMarr - Reatha Dale Watson

Carey Grant - Archibald Leach

Mae Murray - Marie Adrienne Koenig,\

D.W. Griffith - David Wark Griffith

Lupe Velez - María Guadalupe Villalobos Vélez

Jane Russell - Ernestine Jane Geraldine Russell

Marilyn Monroe - Norma Jean Baker (or Mortenson depending on what article your reading)

Greer Garson - Eileen Evelyn Greer Garson

Hedy Lamarr - Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler

Raquel Torres - Paula Marie Osterman

Mary Brian - Louise Byrdie Dantzler

Carole Landis - Frances Lillian Mary Ridste

Mack Sennet - Michael Sinnott

Carmen Miranda - Maria do Carmo Miranda da Cunha

Joan Blondell - Rose Joan Blondell

Dorothy Lamour - Mary Leta Dorothy Slaton

Jane Wyman - Sarah Jane Mayfield

Susan Hayward - Edythe Marrenner

Rudolph Valentino - Rodolfo Alfonso Raffaello Pierre Filibert Guglielmi di Valentina d'Antonguella

Barbara Stanwyck - Ruby Catherine Stevens

Jean Harlow - Harlean Harlow Carpenter

Helen Twelvetrees - Helen Marie Jurgens

John Gilbert - John Cecil Pringle

Alla Nazimova - Marem-Ides Leventon

Linda Darnell - Monetta Eloyse Darnell

Conrad Veidt - Hans Walter Conrad Veidt

Mary Carlisle - Gwendolyn Witter

Janet Gaynor - Laura Augusta Gainor

ZaSu Pitts - Eliza Susan Pitts

Mary Miles Minter - Juliet Reilly

John Wayne - Marion Michael Morrison