Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

August (Summer Under the Stars) Schedule is Up!

Glad to see two of my picks - Burt Lancaster and Sylvia Sidney. Great line-up of Sylvia Sidney films. Thank you TCM.  I also like the selection of Eva Marie Saint.  A Hatful of Rain might be a premier. Glad to see it scheduled for prime time. Over all its a good, well rounded group of stars.

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

19 Dolores Del Rio

The 8pm slot, right now, is TBA. Any chance this could be the TCM premiere of the restored Ramona (1928)?

2 hours ago, garovick said:

A Hatful of Rain might be a premier. Glad to see it scheduled for prime time.

A Hatful of  Rain is not a premiere, but it's a TCM rarity, for sure. According to moviecollectoroh's database, this will be only its fifth airing in TCM history and its first in six years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm delighted to see on Charlie Chaplin day, TCM will be showing A King in New York, Chaplin's last leading role, shot in England during his exile from America.

• Like 1

There's always one MGM lifer or near-lifer every year. This year, it's Norma Shearer. 12 films, all MGM releases.

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

For future reference here, sewhite:

The yellow colored "on whom" in your first paragraph and the word "Who" which started your second paragraph were both correctly used.  However, the two red colored words "whom" in your second paragraph were incorrectly used in both cases, and you should have used the word "who" in those two instances for it to be grammatically correct.

(...hey, you pretty much asked here, now didn't ya?!) ;)

LOL

Damn Dargo!  You continue to amaze and impress with your wit, wisdom, and knowledge.  A tennis-playing, motorcycle-riding, former employee of an airline I flew not once, but twice for vacations in North Dakota, now living in a scenic part of Arizona was once a closet English major?  Who knew?  😃👌✈️🎾🏍️

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hibi said:

Mostly the usual suspects whose films are shown throughout the year. Happy to see Sylvia Sidney included. Diana Dors might be an interesting day also.

I'm happy that there is a Diana Dors day on this August's SUTS.     

There's one thing wrong though with that day's schedule:  they're not showing "Berserk".     She had several funny one-liners in that one.    Her role in that film was a character role, but a very juicy and prominent supporting role.     It was also a movie in which she practically goes toe-to-toe on-screen with Joan Crawford in a couple of scenes.     I'm a little sorry that TCM won't be airing that film as part of her Summer Under the Stars day.    I can't believe they're not including it.  They have shown it occasionally.

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Bette Davis and all, but I feel like we’ve had a glut of marathons of her films recently. First her SOTM tribute in November, then I think just last week, there was a daytime tribute to her films; and I’m fairly certain she was featured during the day in either March or April. 

At this point, I only want to see “Beyond the Forest.” Everything else I own or have already recorded! 

I think they threw Davis and Wayne (and Cary Grant) into the mix so they could have familiar faces to include in their advertising. But yes, these household names are overexposed.

• Like 1

Nothing that great for my tastes. Much of the usual. Glad to see that Sylvia Sidney has her day. Also looking forward to Anne Shirley. I'm disappointed in Claudette Colbert's day; all the Paramount films she made in the 1930's and not one is scheduled.

5 hours ago, midwestan said:

Damn Dargo!  You continue to amaze and impress with your wit, wisdom, and knowledge.  A tennis-playing, motorcycle-riding, former employee of an airline I flew not once, but twice for vacations in North Dakota, now living in a scenic part of Arizona was once a closet English major?  Who knew?  😃👌✈️🎾🏍️

I knew we kept him around for a reason!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Classic aficionado said:

I'm happy that there is a Diana Dors day on this August's SUTS.     

There's one thing wrong though with that day's schedule:  they're not showing "Berserk".     She had several funny one-liners in that one.    Her role in that film was a character role, but a very juicy and prominent supporting role.     It was also a movie in which she practically goes toe-to-toe on-screen with Joan Crawford in a couple of scenes.     I'm a little sorry that TCM won't be airing that film as part of her Summer Under the Stars day.    I can't believe they're not including it.  They have shown it occasionally.

That's too bad. It's a cheesy film, but she's fun in it. You can tell Joan probably hated her. It shows in their scenes. LOL.

56 minutes ago, midnight08 said:

Nothing that great for my tastes. Much of the usual. Glad to see that Sylvia Sidney has her day. Also looking forward to Anne Shirley. I'm disappointed in Claudette Colbert's day; all the Paramount films she made in the 1930's and not one is scheduled.

That's typical. We rarely get to see Colbert's 30s Paramount films (except for a few).

• Like 1

Would someone mind posting the films on Sylvia Sidney day? That first week link doesnt work.

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Would someone mind posting the films on Sylvia Sidney day? That first week link doesnt work.

For some reason, if you change the date in the address bar from 08-01 to 08-02, it works, we just can't see Barbara Stanwyck's day.  Not sure what's wrong there.  

But anyway, Sylvia Sidney:

6:00am One Third of a Nation (1939)

7:30am  An American Tragedy (1931)

9:15am City Streets (1931)

11:15am Street Scene (1931)

1:00pm Mary Burns, Fugitive (1935)

2:30pm You Only Live Once (1937)

4:15pm Dead End (1937)

6:00pm Fury (1936)

8:00pm You and Me (1938)

9:45pm Thirty Day Princess (1934)

11:15pm Sabotage (1936)

12:45am Les Miserables (1952)

2:45am Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (1973)

4:30am The Wagons Roll at Night (1941)

53 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I knew we kept him around for a reason!

That reminds me of a fellow engineer about 15 years ago (an older visiting British guy who we all got along well with).   I had been mildly annoying him by picking up his car keys and tools with a telescopic magnet, which made loud clattering noises as I fumbled with with and dropped some of his tools in front of him on his desk, ala "Wallace & Grommit", complete with poor imitation of W&G dialog ("Good heavens, Grawmit, you think my apparatus here can pick this one up?  How would I ever get this done otherwise?  It would be a marvel to be able to pick all of these up at once")...  He looked up at me indirectly with a restrained smile and told me "You have your uses".  😁

• Like 1

I'm not thrilled by the lineup. I know the month mostly focuses on the usual suspects, but I was hoping for some more variety. I'm happy with Alain Delon as this year's international star. I'm a big fan of his and look forward to seeing Scorpio, Have I the Right to Kill, and Rocco and His Brothers for the first time. Only thing I'd say here is I wish they included Un Flic (1972), Indian Summer (1972), Borsalino (1970), or The Sicilian Clan (1969).  Un Flic is great, but I haven't seen the other three. I like that Sylvia Sidney is being featured and will enjoy the premieres on her day. I would have been really excited for Steve McQueen's day had these movies not just been shown on his birthday tribute in March. I like Claudette Colbert, but I would have preferred Carole Lombard as the Backlot selection. I love Burt Lancaster and am happy to see the return of Elmer Gantry, but the rest has been shown quite frequently lately. I don't need a day of Bette Davis or John Wayne either as these movies air all the time. I'm looking forward to Eva Marie Saint's day, specifically A Hatful of Rain. 

Again, I know what to expect but hoped we would see some more differentiation. The wishlist thread had tons of great selections and it would have been nice to see more of them featured. For my picks, I wish Albert Finney, Robert Preston, Joanne Woodward, Sandy Dennis, and Brian Keith were selected in particular. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

For some reason, if you change the date in the address bar from 08-01 to 08-02, it works, we just can't see Barbara Stanwyck's day.  Not sure what's wrong there. 

It seems to be an overflow/underflow problem with the weekly and monthly templates at times, based either on a relative offset with regards to number of days this month versus following months, or perhaps absolute number of days divided by some constant, or something similar.  Your basic CS type of riddle.  So just keep doing that to get at the schedule entries.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

But anyway, Sylvia Sidney:

6:00am One Third of a Nation (1939)

7:30am  An American Tragedy (1931)

9:15am City Streets (1931)

11:15am Street Scene (1931)

1:00pm Mary Burns, Fugitive (1935)

2:30pm You Only Live Once (1937)

4:15pm Dead End (1937)

6:00pm Fury (1936)

8:00pm You and Me (1938)

9:45pm Thirty Day Princess (1934)

11:15pm Sabotage (1936)

12:45am Les Miserables (1952)

2:45am Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (1973)

4:30am The Wagons Roll at Night (1941)

Thanks. Looks like You and Me is the only one I havent seen (except for Les Miserables which I assume is a supporting role)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think they threw Davis and Wayne (and Cary Grant) into the mix so they could have familiar faces to include in their advertising. But yes, these household names are overexposed.

TopBilled, I know exactly what you mean. The majority of the people I put in my wish list are either underrated, people we don't see all that often, or ignored completely. I feel bad for people who fall into the last category like Robert Young. The "popular kids" of TCM need to step aside once in a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

TopBilled, I know exactly what you mean. The majority of the people I put in my wish list are either underrated, people we don't see all that often, or ignored completely. I feel bad for people who fall into the last category like Robert Young. The "popular kids" of TCM need to step aside once in a while.

I like how you worded this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Thanks. Looks like You and Me is the only one I havent seen (except for Les Miserables which I assume is a supporting role)

Yes., it's a small part in her for Les Miserables. She gets the doomed supporting part of Fantine, a showy part though.

Premieres:

You and Me (1938) [Sylvia Sidney]

Thirty Day Princess (1934) [Sylvia Sidney]

The First Wives Club (1996) {Goldie Hawn]

CrissCross (1992) [Goldie Hawn]

Tap (1989) [Sammy Davis Jr.]

Night Club Scandal (1937) [John Barrymore]

The Devil's Playground (1937) [Dolores Del Rio]

The Senator Was Indiscreet (1947) [William Powell]

Danger Route (1967) [Diana Dors]

The Weak and the Wicked (1954) [Diana Dors]

Loan Shark (1952) [George Raft]

I'll Get You (1953) [George Raft]

Steamboat Round the Bend (1935) [Anne Shirley]

For Men Only (1951) [Paul Henreid]

• Like 3

I'm not thrilled with the lineup or some of the movies.  First Wives Clubs I've watched numerous times lately.  My Dad's mother worked with Sylvia Sidney before she became famous (at a hospital).  She was still going strong in Beetlejuice.  I agree that I trot out the faves (and the same films) - haven't looked at the schedule yet.  Everett Sloane (sp?) - same grandmother knew his mother or Agnes Moorehead (sp?) would have been nice also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That reminds me of a fellow engineer about 15 years ago (an older visiting British guy who we all got along well with).   I had been mildly annoying him by picking up his car keys and tools with a telescopic magnet, which made loud clattering noises as I fumbled with with and dropped some of his tools in front of him on his desk, ala "Wallace & Grommit", complete with poor imitation of W&G dialog ("Good heavens, Grawmit, you think my apparatus here can pick this one up?  How would I ever get this done otherwise?  It would be a marvel to be able to pick all of these up at once")...  He looked up at me indirectly with a restrained smile and told me "You have your uses".  😁

This seemed to me to be a devastating put-down when I first heard it but I have since learned that it is rather tame: "If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, there must be something we can do with you."

• Haha 1

And a big welcome back to one former TCM staple from the 70s, Foul Play. It is one of my favorite comedies, and this is only its third airing in the last 10 years.

• Like 4