Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

August (Summer Under the Stars) Schedule is Up!

2 hours ago, jinsinna13 said:

people who fall into the last category like Robert Young.

All those movies he made at MGM. It's a head-scratcher.

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

we just can't see Barbara Stanwyck's day

Not sure why I've been blessed with being able to see the first day. If you're still unable to see it, here's the lineup. Sorry, I scribbled them down chronologically by year of release rather than air times, but at least you'll have some idea.

Gambling Lady (Warner Bros., 1934)
Annie Oakley (RKO, 1935)
The Mad Miss Manton (RKO, 1938)
Ball of Fire (RKO, 1941)
Meet John Doe (Warner Bros., 1941)
Lady of Burlesque (United Artists, 1943)
Double Indemnity (Paramount, 1944)
The Two Mrs. Carrolls (Warner Bros., 1947)
B.F.'s Daughter (MGM, 1948)
East Side, West Side (MGM, 1949)
Clash by Night (RKO, 1952)
The Moonlighter (Warner Bros., 1953)
Crime of Passion (United Artists, 1957)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, midwestan said:

Damn Dargo!  You continue to amaze and impress with your wit, wisdom, and knowledge.  A tennis-playing, motorcycle-riding, former employee of an airline I flew not once, but twice for vacations in North Dakota, now living in a scenic part of Arizona was once a closet English major?  Who knew?  😃👌✈️🎾🏍️

Why, thanks for the compliments here, midwesty! That was very nice of you to say this.

However, I must add here that you seemed just a bit remiss in failing to ALSO note what a good lookin' guy I am too! Well, for an old grey-bearded f*art, anyway. ;) LOL

Hey, this reminds me here, and speaking of "wit, wisdom and knowledge"(and although I don't know how "good lookin'" HE is...LOL) has anyone heard from our friend Lawrence for awhile? Don't think I've run across any postings from him around here for quite some time.

(...now THERE'S a guy I always thought when it came to "wit, wisdom and knowledge", I couldn't hold a candle to)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Speedy, hope you don't mind but I shared the list of stars elsewhere so people will know who will be on this Summer.

That’s fine! 

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

has anyone heard from our friend Lawrence for awhile?

The last time I can remember a post from Lawrence was right after I'd returned home from nearly a two-month stay at my parents' house to keep an eye on them in the early months of the pandemic. One day is just like another. I'm not even sure how long I've been back. Just a few days shy of a full month, I think. Lawrence, if you're still around, at least post to let us know you're all right!

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

The last time I can remember a post from Lawrence was right after I'd returned home from nearly a two-month stay at my parents' house to keep an eye on them in the early months of the pandemic. One day is just like another. I'm not even sure how long I've been back. Just a few days shy of a full month, I think. Lawrence, if you're still around, at least post to let us know you're all right!

Yeah, I was wondering about him today too.  Lafitte hasn't been too active lately either, for that matter.  Of course, I'm sort of a 'will-o-the-wisp' with my postings too.  I like hanging out at various websites, but I mostly lurk.  Sometimes I laugh.  Sometimes I roll my eyes.  But, I always learn...

• Like 1

I disappeared from this board for for the first four months of 2019 when financial difficulties forced me to give up my cable and Internet (which come from the same provider). Finally got it together (much as I ever do). Not sure anyone even noticed my absence. But typically I also disappear for long periods of time every year during baseball season, which may not be happening at all this year (owners rejected players' proposal today). So, I may be around more this summer.

• Like 4

Last year Henry Fonda had his day for SOTS. I was disappointed that TCM didn't include "Trail Of The Lonesome Pine" for his day. Now a year later and Sylvia Sidney is one of the SOTM's . Same deal;  no "Trail Of The Lonesome Pine".  I remember this film from when I was young. It was a wonderful film and the technicolor outdoor landscapes were magnificent. I guess I'll just have to order a DVD. 

33 minutes ago, midnight08 said:

Last year Henry Fonda had his day for SOTS. I was disappointed that TCM didn't include "Trail Of The Lonesome Pine" for his day. Now a year later and Sylvia Sidney is one of the SOTM's . Same deal;  no "Trail Of The Lonesome Pine".  I remember this film from when I was young. It was a wonderful film and the technicolor outdoor landscapes were magnificent. I guess I'll just have to order a DVD. 

It's worth purchasing. Great film.

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hey, this reminds me here, and speaking of "wit, wisdom and knowledge"(and although I don't know how "good lookin'" HE is...LOL) has anyone heard from our friend Lawrence for awhile? Don't think I've run across any postings from him around here for quite some time.

(...now THERE'S a guy I always thought when it came to "wit, wisdom and knowledge", I couldn't hold a candle to)

If you check the early May posts in the cesspool (Off-Topic), you'll see the insults he's been suffering lately from the TDS crowd. He changed his avatar the other day, so he's probably fine, just not eager to participate.

• Thanks 3

Thanks. I had to go to Urban Dictionary and look up TDS, as this is a term I'd never before heard of in my life. I have no stomach for Off-Topic Chit-Chat. Think I've made about three visits there ever, and one was specifically to answer a question on a thread that had been moved there. So I had no idea what was going on in that part of these message boards. 

4 hours ago, Capuchin said:

If you check the early May posts in the cesspool (Off-Topic), you'll see the insults he's been suffering lately from the TDS crowd. He changed his avatar the other day, so he's probably fine, just not eager to participate.

I had been thinking about his absence as well for a few weeks, then I too saw he had changed his avatar. Hopefully, he is okay.

I think I'll skip Goldie Hawn.  She's never been one of my favorites, and I have never considered her a legendary actress by any means, Oscar or no Oscar.

I am looking forward to Sylvia Sidney, Maureen O'Hara and George Raft though. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, midnight08 said:

DITTO. I dont think TCM has aired it in many years. :(

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I think I'll skip Goldie Hawn.  She's never been one of my favorites, and I have never considered her a legendary actress by any means, Oscar or no Oscar.

I am looking forward to Sylvia Sidney, Maureen O'Hara and George Raft though. 

Not to get to personal, but are you a gent or lady? Because GOLDIE was & still s incredibally hot

She's not really legendary though, but HOT POPULAR! Especially after PVT. BENJAMIN (l980)

Her most adorable role, not FOUL PLAY BUT SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES from 1980

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

KNOW THE MOVIE, NEVER SAW IT I ALWAYS THINK OF KLAUREL & HARDY DOING THAT FAMOUS NUMBER FROM WAY OUT WEST instead   Which was nommed by the way

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Not sure why I've been blessed with being able to see the first day. If you're still unable to see it, here's the lineup. Sorry, I scribbled them down chronologically by year of release rather than air times, but at least you'll have some idea.

Gambling Lady (Warner Bros., 1934)
Annie Oakley (RKO, 1935)
The Mad Miss Manton (RKO, 1938)
Ball of Fire (RKO, 1941)
Meet John Doe (Warner Bros., 1941)
Lady of Burlesque (United Artists, 1943)
Double Indemnity (Paramount, 1944)
The Two Mrs. Carrolls (Warner Bros., 1947)
B.F.'s Daughter (MGM, 1948)
East Side, West Side (MGM, 1949)
Clash by Night (RKO, 1952)
The Moonlighter (Warner Bros., 1953)
Crime of Passion (United Artists, 1957)

In my view some good, great but a lot not so much    BALL OF FIRE & D.INDEMNITY my picks

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

On that topic what are your top3-5 of HANKS

On 6/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, speedracer5 said:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-29

The links keep working and then not working... If the schedule comes up blank, this might work: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/august2020.html

1 Barbara Stanwyck
2 Rock Hudson
3 Rita Hayworth
4 SZ Sakall
5 Ann Miller
6 Burt Lancaster
7 Sylvia Sidney
8 Charlie Chaplin
9 Goldie Hawn
10 Norma Shearer
11 Sammy Davis Jr
12 Lana Turner
13 John Barrymore
14 Steve McQueen
15 Nina Foch
16 Cary Grant
17 Maureen O'Hara
18 Warren Beatty
19 Dolores Del Rio
20 William Powell
21 Diana Dors
22 John Wayne
23 Bette Davis
24 George Raft
25 Anne Shirley
26 Laurence Olivier
27 Claudette Colbert
28 Paul Henreid
29 Eva Marie Saint
30 Charlton Heston
31 Alain Delon

NO SINATRA, NATALIE OR SPENCE YET AGAIN???   But N. SHEARER??? & THE ULTRA EGO RIDDEN, HAMMY HESTON???

AT LEAST THEY HAD THE KING OF MOVIE COOL McQUEEN INCLUDED THIS TIME  Only made 28 flix

16 minutes ago, spence said:

KNOW THE MOVIE, NEVER SAW IT I ALWAYS THINK OF LAUREL & HARDY DOING THAT FAMOUS NUMBER FROM WAY OUT WEST instead   Which was nommed by the way

DOES ANYONE ELSE LIKE G.O.L.D.I.E.???  Her finest work as an actress & was robbed for a nod was SPIELBERG very strong (***1/2) 1974 SUGARLAND EXPRESSS

23 minutes ago, Hibi said:

DITTO. I dont think TCM has aired it in many years. :(

I've had TCM since 1995 and I don't ever remember them showing "Trail Of The Lonesome Pine"  at all.

39 minutes ago, spence said:

On that topic what are your top3-5 of HANKS

Tom Hanks?