Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speedracer5

August (Summer Under the Stars) Schedule is Up!

1 hour ago, spence said:

Not to get to personal, but are you a gent or lady? Because GOLDIE was & still s incredibally hot

She's not really legendary though, but HOT POPULAR! Especially after PVT. BENJAMIN (l980)

Her most adorable role, not FOUL PLAY BUT SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES from 1980

I'm a gal.

PRIVATE BENJAMIN is probably her most famous role, but personally I thought the other Army comedy, STRIPES, which came out a year later, was much funnier. I love Bill Murray.

1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

I've had TCM since 1995 and I don't ever remember them showing "Trail Of The Lonesome Pine"  at all.

Maybe it was AMC that aired it. I don't know what the trouble is. Wasn't it a UA release? Or was it Paramount?

Wish we had seen more character actors on this years SUTS.  What about Edward Arnold, C. Aubrey Smith, Edward Brophy, Edna May Oliver, Una Merkel, Allan Jenkins, Paul Kelly, Joseph Calleia, May Robson, Anne Revere, Harry Davenport, Lucille Watson, etc.. etc. etc.?????

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I'm a gal.

PRIVATE BENJAMIN is probably her most famous role, but personally I thought the other Army comedy, STRIPES, which came out a year later, was much funnier. I love Bill Murray.

I'm a fan of Goldie, but not across-the-board. I prefer the era when she began producing, starting with Private Benjamin. Personally, I haven't watched that one much so I get what you're saying, but I love Protocol and its quirky milieu, in which she rents a room from a gay couple and works in a safari theme bar with the wonderful Jean Smart. Her naively sweet nature makes her a perfect  tool for some political hacks when she stumbles across their path and it's her journey to the realization of how and why she's being used that gives the movie some actual weight.  Overboard has been shown practically to death, but I think its cleverness and "heart" stand up to repeated viewings. My favorite is Wildcats, in which she takes over coaching an inner-city high school football team and becomes simultaneously responsible for raising a young, slightly rebellious daughter and helping to mold the talents and characters of the young men.  There are setbacks in both cases and I think Goldie really shined as an example of how far good faith can get you. (I laugh out loud every time I hear the school cheerleaders: "Ice cream, soda pop, bonanna fizz. We's from Susie. Who you is?")  As an actress, it's really remarkable how far she was able to get beyond the airhead stereotype she was initially burdened with (and in which she actively participated). I won't watch all of them and some of my most favorite aren't being shown, but I respect the actress Goldie became and the tenacity she showed in getting there against the odds. 

On 6/3/2020 at 7:10 AM, TopBilled said:

I think they threw Davis and Wayne (and Cary Grant) into the mix so they could have familiar faces to include in their advertising. But yes, these household names are overexposed.

Something to remember: During this quarantine, lots of people staying home means more opportunities to gain new viewers. Just as there are new posters on this site, or posters who haven't been around much are here more often. And anytime you make a push to increase your following, you bring your big stars out to lure them in. Give them an entry way, a familiar name to start the process.

Stars are only over exposed to those of us who have been watching classic films for years and years. They are still rather new to those beginning this journey.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lydecker said:

Wish we had seen more character actors on this years SUTS.  What about Edward Arnold, C. Aubrey Smith, Edward Brophy, Edna May Oliver, Una Merkel, Allan Jenkins, Paul Kelly, Joseph Calleia, May Robson, Anne Revere, Harry Davenport, Lucille Watson, etc.. etc. etc.?????

I think there could probably be an Edward Arnold month...  Definitely an Edward Brophy day, maybe a Harry Davenport day.  Some of these character actors have enough credits that you could just spend an entire month going through their credits, you'd probably come up with some interesting inventory...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lydecker said:

While I have no issue with character actors being celebrated, I don't think this is that time.

SUTS means "Summer Under The Stars" . This is a special once a year occasion for stars to shine. To spend an entire 24 hours day enjoying a favorite star. This is the major leagues.

Character actors can have a day or special month because they deserve it. But, stars are stars for a reason.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

While I have no issue with character actors being celebrated, I don't think this is that time.

SUTS means "Summer Under The Stars" . This is a special once a year occasion for stars to shine. To spend an entire 24 hours day enjoying a favorite star. This is the major leagues.

Character actors can have a day or special month because they deserve it. But, stars are stars for a reason.

S.Z. Sakall kind of breaks that mold though.

P.S. Bear in mind  that I don't follow these thematic schedules as strictly as most.

8 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Something to remember: During this quarantine, lots of people staying home means more opportunities to gain new viewers. Just as there are new posters on this site, or posters who haven't been around much are here more often. And anytime you make a push to increase your following, you bring your big stars out to lure them in. Give them an entry way, a familiar name to start the process.

Stars are only over exposed to those of us who have been watching classic films for years and years. They are still rather new to those beginning this journey.

I agree with what you are saying above to some extent, but not entirely. I think that people get conditioned to certain stars receiving airplay on TCM. The actors become household names based on visibility, which is why some stars are remembered and some are not. In theory if you play Actor X every month, every year, then people will become accustomed (overexposed) to him and think, oh he must be a star, he's on TCM all the time...even if he's not someone else's definition of a real star. 

If you browse the selection at any electronics store, places like Best Buy or Target or Walmart, it's easy to see John Wayne movies, Bette Davis movies, Audrey Hepburn movies, Cary Grant movies and Humphrey Bogart movies. They are always visible on the shelves (in the actual store) or on the webpages (online). So most young people already know who those stars are, they don't need TCM to teach them this. 

8 hours ago, lydecker said:

I would have loved a Charles Coburn day. 

I love Lucile Watson and May Robson. They were the epitome of the nagging mother-in-law. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Though I think that many character actors are stars in their own right. Eve Arden was nominated for an Oscar; Agnes Moorehead I think was nominated for multiple Oscars. Charles Coburn won one! 

49 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Though I think that many character actors are stars in their own right. Eve Arden was nominated for an Oscar; Agnes Moorehead I think was nominated for multiple Oscars. Charles Coburn won one! 

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

S.Z. Sakall kind of breaks that mold though.

P.S. Bear in mind  that I don't follow these thematic schedules as strictly as most.

I don't think its a hard and fast rule.  Just a general guideline.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I agree with what you are saying above to some extent, but not entirely. I think that people get conditioned to certain stars receiving airplay on TCM. The actors become household names based on visibility, which is why some stars are remembered and some are not. In theory if you play Actor X every month, every year, then people will become accustomed (overexposed) to him and think, oh he must be a star, he's on TCM all the time...even if he's not someone else's definition of a real star. 

Every part of entertainment follows that rule. Why is payola (paying a dj to play a record), illegal in the radio business ? Because the gov't knows that if you play a song enough, people will assume its a hit and treat it as such. 

If you browse the selection at any electronics store, places like Best Buy or Target or Walmart, it's easy to see John Wayne movies, Bette Davis movies, Audrey Hepburn movies, Cary Grant movies and Humphrey Bogart movies. They are always visible on the shelves (in the actual store) or on the webpages (online). So most young people already know who those stars are, they don't need TCM to teach them this. 

But, they need a port of entry. How to begin the odyssey of watching classic movies ? Where to begin ? How to know what I will like ? This is a whole new concept for many, it was for me. My dad only liked westerns. And didn't know what "noir" was ? Now, if you mention "detective movies", now he knew exactly what I was talking about.

For example, The newbie might know Audrey Hepburn so my give "Roman Holiday" a try.  Then while watching ask himself/herself " who is this Gregory Peck guy, he's good". Then realize he one of greatest actors ever. And go watch some of his films. And after watching Spellbound, want to watch more Ingrid Bergman films. The happen upon Casablanca, a film they probably have heard of and see lots of stars there. And off they go on their own personal journey. But, that can't happen until the first step if made.

Like any business, the key is to get them through the front door. That 's all TCM is doing. Once they are hooked, they aren't going anywhere.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Every part of entertainment follows that rule. Why is payola (paying a dj to play a record), illegal in the radio business ? Because the gov't knows that if you play a song enough, people will assume its a hit and treat it as such. 

But, they need a port of entry. How to begin the odyssey of watching classic movies ? Where to begin ? How to know what I will like ? This is a whole new concept for many, it was for me. My dad only liked westerns. And didn't know what "noir" was ? Now, if you mention "detective movies", now he knew exactly what I was talking about.

For example, The newbie might know Audrey Hepburn so my give "Roman Holiday" a try.  Then while watching ask himself/herself " who is this Gregory Peck guy, he's good". Then realize he one of greatest actors ever. And go watch some of his films. And after watching Spellbound, want to watch more Ingrid Bergman films. The happen upon Casablanca, a film they probably have heard of and see lots of stars there. And off they go on their own personal journey. But, that can't happen until the first step if made.

Like any business, the key is to get them through the front door. That 's all TCM is doing. Once they are hooked, they aren't going anywhere.

That’s how I really got into classic film, except it started with “I Love Lucy.” 

3 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Just to elaborate, the thoughts and whims of the TCM programming dept are not my own.  I just don't approach watching movies in a thematic way like that.  Never have.  That is why I have a DVR and collect movies.  Hey, at least they don't do a Hallmark Christmas thing.  I do appreciate the variety though, enough to inspire me to put together a database and share the results.

Having dispensed with that, the idea of focusing on more character actors, whateverthehellmonth it may be, seems a neat thing at the moment.

I'd definitely add Charles Coburn to that list.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hibi said:

Maybe it was AMC that aired it. I don't know what the trouble is. Wasn't it a UA release? Or was it Paramount?

Did anyone ever answer this? It was a Paramount release.

Yes, I looked it up later. I thought since Walter Wanger produced it, it went through UA, since that's where many of his films were distributed back then.

I believe that it would not be overly damaging to the concept to reduce the number of usual suspects and introduce some who were mainly character actors but who did star in some movies. My primary thinking is of Edna May Oliver or James Gleason who both starred in quite respectable movies for prime time and were important in many other movies even although they did not have top billing in them. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I believe that it would not be overly damaging to the concept to reduce the number of usual suspects and introduce some who were mainly character actors but who did star in some movies. My primary thinking is of Edna May Oliver or James Gleason who both starred in quite respectable movies for prime time and were important in many other movies even although they did not have top billing in them. 

For years I have been calling for SUTS to only feature 31 character actors,   but Gerald has a solid point that this is NOT the year.   E.g.  the Food Network ratings are up around 30%.  The primary reason being lack of sports programming;   (male viewership of  the network is way up!).       The Food Network put into place some specific programming; E.g. Amy Schumer Learns to Cook - the comedian host the show with her chef husband.      In the first one Amy calls her buddy,  Jenifer Lawrence - talk about star power!

TCM can gain some new viewers,  that may decide to stick around after a return to normalize.     They need to strike while the iron is hot.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, Dargo said:

Why, thanks for the compliments here, midwesty! That was very nice of you to say this.

However, I must add here that you seemed just a bit remiss in failing to ALSO note what a good lookin' guy I am too! Well, for an old grey-bearded f*art, anyway. ;) LOL

Hey, this reminds me here, and speaking of "wit, wisdom and knowledge"(and although I don't know how "good lookin'" HE is...LOL) has anyone heard from our friend Lawrence for awhile? Don't think I've run across any postings from him around here for quite some time.

(...now THERE'S a guy I always thought when it came to "wit, wisdom and knowledge", I couldn't hold a candle to)

On 6/3/2020 at 8:01 PM, sewhite2000 said:

The last time I can remember a post from Lawrence was right after I'd returned home from nearly a two-month stay at my parents' house to keep an eye on them in the early months of the pandemic. One day is just like another. I'm not even sure how long I've been back. Just a few days shy of a full month, I think. Lawrence, if you're still around, at least post to let us know you're all right!

On 6/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, midwestan said:

Yeah, I was wondering about him today too.  Lafitte hasn't been too active lately either, for that matter.  Of course, I'm sort of a 'will-o-the-wisp' with my postings too.  I like hanging out at various websites, but I mostly lurk.  Sometimes I laugh.  Sometimes I roll my eyes.  But, I always learn...

On 6/4/2020 at 1:47 AM, Capuchin said:

If you check the early May posts in the cesspool (Off-Topic), you'll see the insults he's been suffering lately from the TDS crowd. He changed his avatar the other day, so he's probably fine, just not eager to participate.

On 6/4/2020 at 6:34 AM, sagebrush said:

I had been thinking about his absence as well for a few weeks, then I too saw he had changed his avatar. Hopefully, he is okay.

I haven't spoken to Lawrence recently, but he is fine. A few weeks ago I helped him with some questions about Letterboxd, the film logging website, and while he took a week off from both here and there (which really made me very concerned and worried for him), he has been logging films over there as recently as earlier today, so he's doing well. So far, in the last few weeks, of the films he has seen, he liked 1917 (2019) the most. Got a 9/10 from him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

For years I have been calling for SUTS to only feature 31 character actors,   but Gerald has a solid point that this is NOT the year.   E.g.  the Food Network ratings are up around 30%.  The primary reason being lack of sports programming;   (male viewership of  the network is way up!).       The Food Network put into place some specific programming; E.g. Amy Schumer Learns to Cook - the comedian host the show with her chef husband.      In the first one Amy calls her buddy,  Jenifer Lawrence - talk about star power!

TCM can gain some new viewers,  that may decide to stick around after a return to normalize.     They need to strike while the iron is hot.

I believe that the current schedule is written in stone. I felt that I was discussing considerations for future years. I am sorry if I did not make that plain.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 7:45 PM, GGGGerald said:

I disagree. If SUTS can honor folks like S.Z. Sakall (2020), Lionel Atwill (2018) and Slim Pickens (2017!?) they can certainly allocate at least a few spots out of 31 days to honor character actors, many of whom have done way more films than "the stars."  Also, by limiting it to "The Stars" (and exactly whose definition is that?) we get treated to the "usual suspects,"  August in and August out.  I am referring to:  John Wayne, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland, etc. etc. etc. who receive SUTS tributes again and again. Honestly, I love many of the major Golden Age stars but they get constant exposure.  How many more times can they be honored??? Also, it is a very rare character actor who did not "star" in at least some B films.  So, they really are stars.  I would be much more interested in SUTS if there was a bit more variety.  As it is, I swear they have a very specific formula they abide by nearly every year:   Several GIANT STARS (see above), 1 Silent Star, 1 Foreign Star, 1 Minority Star, 1 Extremely Esoteric Star (Leila Hyams would be a good example of that) and 2-4 "Modern Stars" (Streisand, Redford, Hoffman, Beatty, McQueen, etc.)  Why not several silent stars, several black/Asian/Hispanic stars, several foreign stars, several director "stars" and several character actor"stars??"  I know that people postulate that TPTB "think" 31 Days of Oscar and SUTS are the channel's best chance to capture new viewers (which is why they lean on "stars" that even people in their 20's might have heard of like Davis and Bogart) but perhaps they should think a bit more about  entertaining their huge existing audience base  --  those of us who have watched and supported this channel for years. We really don't need to see John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis constantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm impressed with this year's line up of Stars and some films that I haven't had the chance to see as yet.  Here are some of the month's highlights for me:

Crisscross (1992) with Goldie Hawn

A Man Called Adam (1966) with Sammy Davis, Jr.

Don Juan (1926) and Night Club Scandal (1937) with John Barrymore

Cry of the Werewolf (1944) and The Dark Past (1948) with Nina Foch

In Caliente (1935) with Dolores Del Rio

***The Senator Was Indiscreet*** (1947).  With William Powell.  I have seen this one and since then I've only been able to find very bad quality copies of the film.   Let's hope that it stays on the schedule and plays in Canada too !

Man Bait (1952) with Diana Dors

Have I the Right to Kill aka The Unvanquished (1964) with Alain Delon

2 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I'm impressed with this year's line up of Stars and some films that I haven't had the chance to see as yet.  Here are some of the month's highlights for me:

Crisscross (1992) with Goldie Hawn

A Man Called Adam (1966) with Sammy Davis, Jr.

Don Juan (1926) and Night Club Scandal (1937) with John Barrymore

Cry of the Werewolf (1944) and The Dark Past (1948) with Nina Foch

In Caliente (1935) with Dolores Del Rio

***The Senator Was Indiscreet*** (1947).  With William Powell.  I have seen this one and since then I've only been able to find very bad quality copies of the film.   Let's hope that it stays on the schedule and plays in Canada too !

Man Bait (1952) with Diana Dors

Have I the Right to Kill aka The Unvanquished (1964) with Alain Delon

The days for Nina Foch and Sammy Davis, Jr. are the high points to me.  And I say that even though I worship Barbara Stanwyck and William Powell.  But, I have seen EVERYTHING THEY HAVE EVER DONE and would be thrilled to see some different people honored.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lydecker said:

The days for Nina Foch and Sammy Davis, Jr. are the high points to me.  And I say that even though I worship Barbara Stanwyck and William Powell.  But, I have seen EVERYTHING THEY HAVE EVER DONE and would be thrilled to see some different people honored.

Agreed, but if they do in fact play The Senator Was Indiscreet it will have been well worth another William Powell day.  A good copy is impossible to find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Agreed, but if they do in fact play The Senator Was Indiscreet it will have been well worth another William Powell day.  A good copy is impossible to find.

Yea,  I would like to see this 1947 Powell comedy with the always welcome Ella Raines.  (below but not with a Senator!).

The Senator Was Indiscreet poster.jpgElla Raines Films: Ella Raines meets Harry Truman