Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

August (Summer Under the Stars) Schedule is Up!

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Night Club Scandal (1937) with John Barrymore

In Caliente (1935) with Dolores Del Rio

***The Senator Was Indiscreet*** (1947).  With William Powell.  I    Let's hope that it stays on the schedule and plays in Canada too !

My personal highlights too,i have the same feeling for the Powell movie I have never seen it and I hope there is no rights issue in Canada,i bet the McQueen  movie 'An Enemy of the people will be replaced,it did not play in Canada the last time it played on TCM.But I have it on a dvd somewhere...I will watch 2 Raft movies from 1952-i complete more than 50 actors-actresses so....I wished they would have played 'Term of Trial' on the Laurence Olivier day..his performance is so riveting,the film is not overplayed , it is  too bad...one of his best  work.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 11:45 AM, lydecker said:

Wish we had seen more character actors on this years SUTS.  

They had a “Star of the Month: Character Actors” last fall.  Maybe if we’re lucky they will repeat it

• Like 1

https://summer.tcm.com/

How is August any different from other months?   I assume it’s the usual introductions & some shorts mixed in.

I’m asking because I was planning to cancel my cable and save $35 each month.  Maybe I’ll keep it one more month.

5 hours ago, Davehat said:

https://summer.tcm.com/

How is August any different from other months?   I assume it’s the usual introductions & some shorts mixed in.

I’m asking because I was planning to cancel my cable and save $35 each month.  Maybe I’ll keep it one more month.

The main difference for Summer Under the Stars is that TCM’s programming is changed to devote all of the films each day to those with a specific star, and each day of the month features a different star.

Sort of a mini- Star of the Month each day.  So you can go through the list and find the stars that are your favorites or those you might be interested in learning about.

All of the other regular TCM features (TCM Underground, Noir Alley, Silent Sunday Nights, TCM Imports) are given up for the month but will return in September.

It’s the same type of films with introductions done by the same hosts, but just organized around specific stars as the daily theme.

• Like 2
On 7/23/2020 at 6:48 AM, Davehat said:

How is August any different from other months? 

I’m asking because I was planning to cancel my cable and save $35 each month. 

I'd gladly pay $35/month for TCM....here you have to buy it in an $80/month package.

Historically, the "Regulars" on this board are less than thrilled with Feb's 31 Days of Oscar and August's Summer Under The Stars programming because of normal schedule disruption and TCM tends to broadcast the same old same old. But by doing so, these are the two best months for TCM to hook new viewers. The "regulars" get the TCM programming we love 10 months of the year. 

I have to say though, I'll never forget the recent SUTS that featured Thelma Todd shorts ALL DAY long and one 31 Days of Oscar that grouped various category nominated movies, not all winners to mix things up.

This year's SUTS has a few premieres that have caught my eye, worthy trade off.

• Like 1

While going thru the August TCM schedule I noticed that they took "Steamship Round The Bend"  (1935) off  on Anne Shirley's day.  I was looking forward to it as it was the last film Will Rogers made before his untimely death. It is also a rare Fox film.  I knew it was too good to be true.

Also, I noticed that they're showing "Mary Burns Fugitive" (1935)  as a TCM premiere on Sylvia Sidney's day. That's not true. They aired it several months ago in the afternoon as I taped it. 

On 7/28/2020 at 10:08 PM, midnight08 said:

While going thru the August TCM schedule I noticed that they took "Steamship Round The Bend"  (1935) off  on Anne Shirley's day.  I was looking forward to it as it was the last film Will Rogers made before his untimely death. It is also a rare Fox film.  I knew it was too good to be true.

Also, I noticed that they're showing "Mary Burns Fugitive" (1935)  as a TCM premiere on Sylvia Sidney's day. That's not true. They aired it several months ago in the afternoon as I taped it. 

Click on the link to see our work on the premieres.  It is far better than using the online schedule alone, which contains all kinds of transient issues.  As far as Steamship Round The Bend, take a look at the 9:30 PM slot for August 25 on the schedule.  As I type this,  it doesn't exist.  You are most likely just seeing a false negative, as there is no evidence it has been replaced with something else yet.  So for now we are saying it is still on, and using this approach we have been correct most of the time.

As far as declaring Mary Burns Fugitive a premiere, that is a false positive.  A human mistake.

https://forums.tcm.com/topic/48504-tcm-premieres/?do=findComment&comment=2245527

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

Just curious, where did you see Mary Burns, Fugitive listed as a premiere?

The digital Now Playing Guide is the only place I know of where TCM lists premieres, and I don't see it indicated as such in my July copy.

I also checked summer.tcm.com, and I don't see any premieres listed there either.

Sorry if I am missing something.

I'm not enthused by the selections for STANWYCK'S DAY (SATURDAY.)

BALL OF FIRE and DOUBLE INDEMNITY are fine, but ANNIE OAKLEY is the only underwhelming performance I've seen from her and BF'S DAUGHTER, EAST SIDE WEST SIDE and THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS are lacking. CLASH BY NIGHT suuuuucks. 

I'm not sure if there is a good quality print of LADY OF BURLESQUE (airing in the late night)- but I hope so, I have tried to watch it online and the picture and sound were so poor I couldn't make it through.

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

that's right, i said it. CLASH BY NIGHT suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Except for the KEITH ANDES/MARILYN MONROE scenes.

I despise "Clash By Night."  It really does suck and I even hate Paul Douglas in it and I am a major fan of his (and Barbara's.)  As for "Annie Oakley," no one ever has to see that POS ever again.  Barbara deserved better film selection for sure.

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, lydecker said:

.  Barbara deserved better film selection for sure.

one thing i will point out- STANWYCK was in A LOT of films for A LOT of different studios for a 20 year span, and even though she was in some bad ones, she was in more good ones...it just seems like when TCM does a BARBARA tribute they go back to a list of what they can get their mitts on, often WARNERS productions and a lot of those are eh.

so even though SATURDAY'S line-up is not great, I will cite THE FURIES and NO MAN OF HER OWN and MON REPUTACCION! and THELMA JORDAN and her two films for SIRK and MARTHA IVERS and STELLA DALLAS and GENERAL YEN....(i could keep going)

ps- is it just me or has been an ETERNITY since SORRY, WRONG NUMBER! has played?

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- is it just me or has been an ETERNITY since SORRY, WRONG NUMBER! has played?

It's not just you, according to MovieCollectorOH's database it looks like Sorry, Wrong Number hasn't been on TCM since 2012, which is longer than I can remember...

I see on the poster that it's a "Hal Wallis Productions" picture, so maybe it's difficult to get the rights to show it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

It's not just you, according to MovieCollectorOH's database it looks like Sorry, Wrong Number hasn't been on TCM since 2012, which is longer than I can remember...

I see on the poster that it's a "Hal Wallis Productions" picture, so maybe it's difficult to get the rights to show it.

is it this one? Immediately across from where I write this in my office, I have this reprint tacked to the wall:

OIP.Cdodl6hKeTXDceLxMSmfewHaLf?pid=Api&r

21 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Yes, that's it.  Nice that you have one!

I saw it on IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040823/

If Eddie would feature it on Noir Alley, he could tell us the story of the production.  🙂

He gives it a rather brief mention in DARK CITY, he writes more about Stanwyck’s other noirs. 

I stand corrected on a comment I made earlier -

This year TCM is continuing The Essentials series during the Summer Under the Stars programming in August.

The schedule is:

Aug 1 - Ball of Fire (1941) (Barbara Stanwyck)
    Aug 8 - City Lights (1931) (Charlie Chaplin)
    Aug 15 - An American in Paris (1951) (Nina Foch)
    Aug 22 - The Searchers (1956) (Natalie Wood)
    Aug 29 - North by Northwest (1959) (Eva Marie Saint)

8 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

What have I started?

On 6/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, speedracer5 said:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-08-29

The links keep working and then not working... If the schedule comes up blank, this might work: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/august2020.html

1 Barbara Stanwyck
2 Rock Hudson
3 Rita Hayworth
4 SZ Sakall
5 Ann Miller
6 Burt Lancaster
7 Sylvia Sidney
8 Charlie Chaplin
9 Goldie Hawn
10 Norma Shearer
11 Sammy Davis Jr
12 Lana Turner