Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

August (Summer Under the Stars) Schedule is Up!

13 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Thank you for posting this!!!

No problem.  Since I posted this, John Wayne has been replaced with Natalie Wood; and Bette Davis was replaced by Olivia de Havilland.

on a less positive note, I just checked out ROCK HUDSON'S day (tomorrow) and...eh.

I know I have an internet tv now and i don't have to watch live tv and my options are open, but JESUS CHRIST that doesn't mean I don't ROLL MY EYES at ICE STATION MOTHER ******** ZEBRA every time it shows up on the damn schedule [aka 28 times a year.].

Sigh.

Would've been nice to re-air THE TARNISHED ANGELS instead.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

on a less positive note, I just checked out ROCK HUDSON'S day (tomorrow) and...eh.

I know I have an internet tv now and i don't have to watch live tv and my options are open, but JESUS CHRIST that doesn't mean I don't ROLL MY EYES at ICE STATION MOTHER ******** ZEBRA every time it shows up on the damn schedule [aka 28 times a year.].

Sigh.

Would've been nice to re-air THE TARNISHED ANGELS instead.

Lol.  But Ice Station Zebra was Howard Hughes' favorite film! 

I just bought The Tarnished Angels on blu ray.  I love that movie.  Robert Stack was a treasure.

Looking at Hudson's schedule, I would watch: All That Heaven Allows, Magnificent Obsession and Written on the Wind (because I love the 1950s Douglas Sirk melodramas) and Pillow Talk; but these are all movies that I own, so nothing that I'd need to record.

Every time I see Rock Hudson, I think of Ethel Mertz fawning over him:

"Would you like a piece of rock, Mr. Candy?"

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  But Ice Station Zebra was Howard Hughes' favorite film! 

The favorite film of a man who kept his urine in Mason jars and wore Kleenex boxes on his feet you say?

I would’ve thought GRAND ILLUSION, but yeah, makes sense. 

• Haha 1

I apologize about getting salty over SUTS, for the record- I like it a lot, I realize that there are 10,000 other things on tv, and I know it's got to be a struggle for the Programming Dept.  to acquire stuff for air...I just feel compelled to cite when too many titles in a STAR'S 24 HOURS are more there for their convenient length or the ease of acquisition AND NOT BECAUSE THEY REPRESENT SAID STAR AT THEIR BEST, because in the end, it's almost an insult.

i remember a while back, INGRID BERGMAN was on SUTS and BETWEEN 8:00 AM AND 8:00 PM they had- one after another- EVERY DOG SHE WAS EVER IN- A RAGE IN HEAVEN, SARATOGA TRUNK, JOAN OF ARC, STROMBOLI, UNDER CAPRICORN JEKYLL AND HYDE- and if you watched those, you would get a very different impression of her career, and not a good one.

ps- yeah, sue me, I don't like the 41 JEKYLL AND HYDE

PSS- You know, now that I look at imdb, INGRID was in a lot of dogs, wasn't she?

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I apologize about getting salty over SUTS, for the record- I like it a lot, I realize that there are 10,000 other things on tv, and I know it's got to be a struggle for the Programming Dept.  to acquire stuff for air...I just feel compelled to cite when too many titles in a STAR'S 24 HOURS are more there for their convenient length or the ease of acquisition AND NOT BECAUSE THEY REPRESENT SAID STAR AT THEIR BEST, because in the end, it's almost an insult.

i remember a while back, INGRID BERGMAN was on SUTS and BETWEEN 8:00 AM AND 8:00 PM they had- one after another- EVERY DOG SHE WAS EVER IN- A RAGE IN HEAVEN, SARATOGA TRUNK, JOAN OF ARC, STROMBOLI, UNDER CAPRICORN JEKYLL AND HYDE- and if you watched those, you would get a very different impression of her career, and not a good one.

ps- yeah, sue me, I don't like the 41 JEKYLL AND HYDE

PSS- You know, now that I look at imdb, INGRID was in a lot of dogs, wasn't she?

I don’t like the 41 Jekyll and Hyde either. I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of Spencer Tracy. I think another reason I didn’t like it was that I watched it right after seeing the 31 version with Fredric March and it was so good. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don’t like the 41 Jekyll and Hyde either. I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of Spencer Tracy. I think another reason I didn’t like it was that I watched it right after seeing the 31 version with Fredric March and it was so good. 

Yes and yes and also 1941 JEKYLL AND HYDE is too damn long and the pacing is sooooo slow.

Also,  the "transitioning into MR HYDE sequence/montage" has numerous shots of a bubbling, overflowing mudslide of something that is supposed to be "primordial ooze"  but it really looks like diarrhea and it kind of undercuts the supernatural gravitas of the moment.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2020 at 12:19 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I completely agree; this film just clogs up the schedule for the entire afternoon! 🥱 Put it on the schedule (if you must) at the very end of the night where folks who have insomnia can use it as a possible remedy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I completely agree; [ICE STATION ZEBRA] film just clogs up the schedule for the entire afternoon! 🥱 Put it on the schedule (if you must) at the very end of the night where folks who have insomnia can use it as a possible remedy.

It genuinely looks like they filmed it on sets recycled from the MR FREEZE episodes of the 66-68 BATMAN TV SHOW.

• Haha 1

A Rock Hudson film that's never been shown on TCM that I remember from my teenage days of yesteryear is "One Desire", co-starring Anne Baxter and Julie London.  I've only seen it once, and while I liked it, IMDB users only give it a 6.1 rating.  I'd like to see it again, if anything, to see if I'm overrating it or if the IMDB posters are high.  Of course, it's a Universal International flick, so we'll be lucky to see it on TCM before we 'kick', as the saying goes...👿

• Like 2
1 hour ago, midwestan said:

A Rock Hudson film that's never been shown on TCM that I remember from my teenage days of yesteryear is "One Desire", co-starring Anne Baxter and Julie London.  I've only seen it once, and while I liked it, IMDB users only give it a 6.1 rating.  I'd like to see it again, if anything, to see if I'm overrating it or if the IMDB posters are high.  Of course, it's a Universal International flick, so we'll be lucky to see it on TCM before we 'kick', as the saying goes...👿

I'd really like to see SECONDS, I know TCM used to run a commercial about a San Fernando Valley "video store" with the ultimate selection and the owner told a story about JOHN FRANKENHEIMER contacting him requesting a VHS copy because he didn't have a personal print.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Good gravy...this film looks like it's this side of 'awesome'!!!  When I saw that opening screen shot, for a minute I thought it was Jimmy Stewart!  This looks like an over-the-top, tantric version of "Mr. Budwing".  Then you see it's a Paramount picture, and that emanates with a heavy sigh and wistful look in one's eyes...drat!  😩

• Like 4
1 hour ago, midwestan said:

Good gravy...this film looks like it's this side of 'awesome'!!!  When I saw that opening screen shot, for a minute I thought it was Jimmy Stewart!  This looks like an over-the-top, tantric version of "Mr. Budwing".  Then you see it's a Paramount picture, and that emanates with a heavy sigh and wistful look in one's eyes...drat!  😩

I have a similar but more strongly worded reaction than "drat," but I'm not from the Midwest.

******** Paramount, I swear.  "We made some of the GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS OF ALL TIME and NO, you can't see any of them. Bwahahahahaha!"

• Haha 2

On a side note, I will mention that- in light of my rant over the iffy quality of STANWYCK'S SUTS day, I had a BARBARA ON THE RADIO DOUBLE FEATURE of THE LUX RADIO THEATER presents SORRY, WRONG NUMBER and THELMA JORDAN (they do not use the theatrical release title THE FILE ON THELMA JORDAN.)

Both are GREAT, benefiting from the HOUR LONG FORMAT, which is perfect for WRONG NUMBER especially. Both STANWYCK'S LEADING MEN- BURT LANCASTER and WENDELL COREY- repeat their roles in the films, and as an added plus, the WORMY LITTLE DUDE who plays WALDO EVANS (the chemist who is in league with Lancaster) reprises his role and HIS VOICE is perfection. It's a special treat to hear the audience give STANWYCK an extended round of THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE at the end of the performance. She is so hoarse from SCREAMING that she jokes that she sounds like ANDY DEVINE.

SPOILERS IN RE: THELMA JORDAN

Wendell Corey actually does a pretty good job here, problem is that his character is such a turdburger that he deserves to be punished more than he is in the end. One of the things I like about RADIO very much is that, oddly for something that was in every household- it seems to have had A MUCH MORE LAX PRODUCTION CODE THAN FILMS DID. People on radio shows get away with murder on occasion and sex is a lot more strongly implied. I kind of wish they had gone with a different, more punishing, ending for the radio version.

• Like 1
On 7/28/2020 at 10:08 PM, midnight08 said:

While going thru the August TCM schedule I noticed that they took "Steamship Round The Bend"  (1935) off  on Anne Shirley's day.  I was looking forward to it as it was the last film Will Rogers made before his untimely death. It is also a rare Fox film.  I knew it was too good to be true.

Also, I noticed that they're showing "Mary Burns Fugitive" (1935)  as a TCM premiere on Sylvia Sidney's day. That's not true. They aired it several months ago in the afternoon as I taped it. 

Check the time between Anne of Green Gables and Stella Dallas. I'm suspecting they're still showing it.  My cable guide did not have Down to Earth yesterday but the movie was shown on TCM.

• Thanks 1
On 8/3/2020 at 5:59 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

It genuinely looks like they filmed it on sets recycled from the MR FREEZE episodes of the 66-68 BATMAN TV SHOW.

I saw about the last 45 minutes of Ice Station Zebra the other day, you are absolutely right. If anyone has been wondering if Ernest Borgnine might do some overacting in this film, why yes he does.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2020 at 7:25 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'd really like to see SECONDS, I know TCM used to run a commercial about a San Fernando Valley "video store" with the ultimate selection and the owner told a story about JOHN FRANKENHEIMER contacting him requesting a VHS copy because he didn't have a personal print.

Seconds has very imaginative direction, cinematography, and editing. The opening is great. This was shown at the TCM Film Festival several years ago to great acclaim. Richard Anderson was in attendance. I seem to recall that even with the excellent restoration, the print wasn't perfect. The original may have been in bad shape. If it hasn't been on TCM, it's probably because of rights issues.

I believe Rock Hudson thought this was one of his best performances, and most people would agree. There's a very touching scene with Frances Reid (yes, Alice Horton from Days of Our Lives), Will Geer has a nice part as a psychiatrist, the reliable Richard Anderson has the last line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have a similar but more strongly worded reaction than "drat," but I'm not from the Midwest.

******** Paramount, I swear.  "We made some of the GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS OF ALL TIME and NO, you can't see any of them. Bwahahahahaha!"

Trust me, just because I live in the allegedly 'wholesome' Midwest, I know all the naughty words and have been known to utter a few of them from time to time, like...when I'm doing my own lawnmower repair work!  😊

However, I've been told I tend to 'cut loose' if people ply me with alcohol  🍺

Fortunately, I don't drink as much as I used to since I started working out.  It wipes out the hard work you put into yourself, and it can be expensive too.  🥑💪🥝

• Thanks 1