Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western movie I watched about 30 years ago

LKP

I recall watching a movie that possibly starred John Wayne, and Raquel Welch, or Ann Margaret?? I only remember a few scenes from the movie, but would like to find out the name of it so I might be able to watch it again as an adult.

One scene was several riders snaking their way through very high mountains, cliffs with very narrow ledges, and one of the previously mentioned actresses involved in a fight with another woman and very nearly falling off the ledge.

The second scene I recall was the group of riders discovering the key to finding a hidden entrance into a canyon

LKP;

Per imdb, John Wayne shared no titles with Raquel Welch. John Wayne and Ann-Margaret share

a 1970s title, *The Train Robbers*, which doesn't seem to fit your description.

The matter of the canyon with the secret entrance suggests perhaps you saw one of the versions of Zane Grey's *Riders Of The Purple Sage* which has been filmed several times, including in

1931 and 1941. A 1990s version on cable TV was, I think, a 2-part miniseries. Basic story was

about a woman having trouble defending her hold on the land she had inheirited from her father.

Crooked judges and the like were after it. The novel and the miniseries added the point that she was being targeted by a high-ranking Morman official whom she had refused to marry. A brave gunman named Lassiter becomes her ally.

Consult the movies under that title, and see if it matches up with what you remember. Good luck.

cmvgor

The 1996 version of "The New Riders Of The Purple Sage" is a pretty good movie that showed on TNT. It starred Ed Harriss. At the climax of the film they escape to a place in the mountains, she already knows it is there, but they seal themselves off from the people who have chased them there.

It is, sadly, rarely shown. It also stars Amy Madigan, Henry Thomas and Robin Tunney who is currently seen it "The Mentalist."

I think the movie you are referring to is "Mackenna's Gold" which was released in 1967 and starred Gregory Peck & Omar Sharif. It was designed as a big roadshow film but was edited down due to poor response to the longer version. The women I believe were Camilla Sparv & Julie Newmar.

Chris,

It would be great if those wonderful westerns from TNT's Original Production days, *Conagher*, *Riders* and *The Quick and the Dead* (Elliot's version) could be put in a box set.

I still remember *Conagher* it was that good.

Also, if they could throw in *The Sacketts* and *Shadow Riders* that would icing on the cake.

Lynn:

"Conagher" is one of my wife's favorite movies. I have Elliott's "The Quick and The Dead" which was an HBO production.

If you want what looks like a good box set it is the set of westerns Selleck did for TNT. "Last Stand At Saber River", "Monte Walsh" and "Crossfire Trail." Selleck was built for westerns.

(Of course looking at the thread title the "30 years" part should have attracted my attention.)

*"Conagher" is one of my wife's favorite movies. I have Elliott's "The Quick and The Dead" which was an HBO production.*

Chris,

I'd forgotten that *Quick* was an HBO production.

No doubt about it, Elliot was made for westerns. Especially that voice.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}> No doubt about it, Elliot was made for westerns. Especially that voice.

Besides westerns he's using "that voice" to make a buck too. Here in upstate New York he does the voice-over on commercials for Kinne Drugs, a regional drugstore chain. Just hearing the first word or two is enough to know it's Sam. I would assume he does v/o work for other clients around the country too.

Holly,

I'm glad you were able to find the Kinney Drug spot on youtube especially since I misspelled it in my first post. That one's probably the best of the series. His voice is just perfect for it. I love how it doesn't have loud music and a shouting announcer like many commercials do today. It also lets folks know that there's a lot more to New York State than big cities.

Mark

Uh, has anybody heard from LKP recently? We've wandered somewhat off point, as these threads sometimes do, but that is not a downside. I just wonder if anybody got lucky and was

helpful in his quest for the movie he remembers seeing. Anybody crosses paths with him (I'm

assuming it's a him) let him know we'd like to hear if there were any results.

cinematical55,

I think you are correct. Thank you. MacKenna's Gold does seem to fit my memories. I'm not sure why I mistook Julie Newmar for Raquel Welch, but I do remember that the girl fight was between a native american woman, and a white woman. Also, the sun pointing the way to the secret entrance of the hidden canyon. I don't have an explanation for the John Wayne memory.

I am glad to know that the movie does exist, but I am a little disappointed to learn that it wasn't a very impressive movie for anyone except me! I will say, in my defense, that it was more like 35 years ago that I saw the movie, and that would have made me 8 years old, practically an infant!

I think that clears up any suspicion that LKP is some senile old **** that can't remember what he had for breakfast, let alone who starred in what!!

So I didn't recall one single actor who actually was in the movie, and I didn't recollect what the story line was, I'm sure some of you had a nice little walk down memory lane with Raquel and Ann anyway!!

LKP

P.S. cmvgor, The L stands for Linda (I'm smiling too!)

Message was edited by: LKP