Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chaya bat woof woof

Same Character but Different Actor(s)

I don't know if anyone has talked about this before, but, in light of another incarnation of Perry Mason (most people think of Perry Mason but others played him before the movie - I think Warren Williams?), but do you like to look at different actors or actresses take on the same role.

Batman (still like Michael Keaton in movies) and Superman are two examples.

One interesting I thought of is The Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon as Mr. Ripley.  John Malkovich played Ripley in a subsequent movie.  I remember it being convoluted and Ripley had much more of a sense of humor than Matt Damon's version.

Bela L. seems almost laughable at Dracula today, Francis F. C.'s take on Dracula was different - Winona R. and Gary Oldman but still unlike B. Stoker's novel, while Frank L. reprised his Broadway role to make an extremely sensual Count.  Finally the man who was not a bad actor in his younger days and, in later years, had the ability to mock himself, George Hamilton (unfortunately, he couldn't tan).

Would love to hear others' thoughts and examples.

The overall topic has been discussed many times;  related to American movies I believe Wyatt Earp is the most represented historical figure played by different actors,  with Lincoln being in second.

As for fictional characters:   I assume Sherlock Holmes.

• Like 1

There have been many film versions of LES MISERABLES and many fine actors who have stepped into the roles of Jean Valjean (Fredric March, Liam Neeson, Hugh Jackman, Richard Jordan to name a few) and Inspector Javert (Charles Laughton, Geoffrey Rush, Russell Crowe, Anthony Perkins, etc.).

The 1935 version with March and Laughton is my personal favorite of all the versions of the story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

One interesting I thought of is The Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon as Mr. Ripley.  John Malkovich played Ripley in a subsequent movie.  I remember it being convoluted and Ripley had much more of a sense of humor than Matt Damon's version.

Dennis Hopper played Ripley in a 1977 Wim Wenders version.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The overall topic has been discussed many times;  related to American movies I believe Wyatt Earp is the most represented historical figure played by different actors,  with Lincoln being in second.

As for fictional characters:   I assume Sherlock Holmes.

I think Jesus Christ has been portrayed more times than either Wyarr Earp or Holmes. Same with the Devil. Some like Max von Sydow even portrayed both!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sukhov said:

I think Jesus Christ has been portrayed more times than either Wyarr Earp or Holmes. Same with the Devil. Some like Max von Sydow even portrayed both!

You could be right;    Now I would assume Jesus Christ is mentioned in more movies than Earp but often while JC is a major part in the story of the film,  he isn't actually shown (or shown only from far away and only his back,  I.e. not his face).     I assume this was done out of respect (i.e.  JC is a unique historical figure and what he really looked like is disputed).  

E.g.  1959 Ben Hur;     Claude Heater played JC,  but was un-credited.   

There have been curses involved with playing certain characters.  Superman comes to mind (George R. and Christopher R.), also, you mentioned Jesus (Jeffrey Hunter and I think my Mom said there was someone else).  There have been many incarnations of Sherlock Holmes.  Personally, like Basil Rathbone.  I tend to like Burt Lancaster's Wyatt Earp, but there are other good movies with good actors (and some not so great - Kurt Russell and Kevin C. each had competing movies).  I agree with your comment about the Devil - one of my favorite actors, Claude R. played either the Devil or one of his minions opposite Paul Muni.  Mr. R. also does the reverse role in Here Comes Mr. Jordan.  I did not see many silent versions of films such as Ben Hur (sp?) remade with Charlton Heston and Stephen Boys (excuse misspellings).  I do not like Spencer Tracy's take on Dr. Jekyll; preferred Frederic March's award-winning performance (both are different than the novel).  Thank you all for responding. 

Well, off the top I can think of these guys portraying Jesus...

H.B.Warner, Jeffrey Hunter, Max Von Sydow, Chris Sarandon, Robert Powell, Willem Dafoe, Jim Caviezel.  Ted Neely,  Robert Wilson.

And of course, both MARLON BRANDO and ROBERT DE NIRO  Both played VITO CORLEONE, but at different ages.

Sepiatone

Based on a Google search the top 4 frequently portrayed fictional characters are;

Santa Clause,   Sherlock Holmes,   God,  and Dracula.