Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Police Reform proposals....?

How the Trump Administration Undid Obama’s Response to Ferguson

The Obama-era reforms could not have stopped George Floyd’s death, but dismantling them sent a clear message to the police.

"........there are some obvious explanations for why 2020 is different from 2015, or 2014, or 1992, or 1968.

Racism and police violence existed long before Donald Trump became president, but he’s further emboldened police forces across the country. In addition to aligning himself rhetorically with police who commit brutality, Trump methodically dismantled the already limited federal checks on abusive police departments in the years before the Floyd uprising. If it feels like police officers across the country are acting with virtually total impunity, it’s because they have been granted that impunity by federal officials.

There are three key ways that Trump’s Department of Justice has eroded or outright dismantled checks on abusive police departments in the past 3½ years: First, it has all but ended the Barack Obama–era practice of placing police departments that violate constitutional rights under court-supervised consent decrees. These court-monitored settlements have, according to experts, offered some deterrent to police chiefs who do not want to see their departments placed under federal supervision.

Second, it ended a voluntary federal-state collaborative reform program, over the opposition of police chiefs—including Republicans—who embraced the initiative.

Finally, it reversed limits on a program that has provided billions of dollars of military-grade vehicles and weapons—such as grenade launchers and bayonets—to local police departments. These reforms were either introduced or escalated in response to the police killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, in 2014 and the subsequent heavily armed police crackdown on Black Lives Matter protests. As soon as he took office, Trump has undone them one by one. ...........

The reforms implemented by the previous administration were not nearly enough to curtail systemic racist policing, but they did at least offer some mechanism of accountability. Start with the consent decrees—

Dramatically, the Sessions DOJ even refused to go forward with a consent decree of the Chicago Police Department after the Obama administration had already issued a report finding systemic abuses in the wake of the murder of Laquan McDonald. .......

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/trump-doj-obama-policing-reform.html

• Thanks 1

There is no easy fix for the systemic racism in our policing and justice systems. But if the Trump administration won’t do everything in its power to hold police departments accountable when officers use excessive force and kill Black Americans, then Congress should make them.

-I'm introducing a bill to: Reverse the Trump admin’s limits on the use of consent decrees

– and then expand them

Empower state AGs to pursue their own investigations into discriminatory policing

Triple DOJ's  @CivilRights

funding to allow it to pursue these cases

:unsure:

Democrats prepare sweeping police reform bills after George Floyd's death

Lawmakers on Capitol Hill are working furiously to draft what could become one of the most ambitious efforts in years to oversee the way law enforcement works.

"............With Democrats in the majority, the bills will almost certainly pass the House. But the outcome in the Senate is less certain. Republican Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has said the chamber would take a look at the issues, but he has not endorsed any particular legislation.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, tweeted that his panel will conduct a hearing “to shine a bright light on the problems associated with Mr. Floyd’s death, with the goal of finding a better way forward for our nation.”

But much like efforts to stem gun violence after mass shootings, the political momentum for changes to policing procedures could fade from public view as the protests wane and the memories of those who have died in connection with police interactions dims. For example, a long-sought federal anti-lynching bill has languished in Congress.........

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/democrats-prepare-police-reform-bills-after-george-floyd-s-death-n1224636?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR3HJCJX4rv66ef5uXqgyxCQOQQZ9OMKgOW1DsVKb2KbjJhPvszlv9pUd6w

<_<

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

There is no easy fix for the systemic racism in our policing and justice systems. But if the Trump administration won’t do everything in its power to hold police departments accountable when officers use excessive force and kill Black Americans, then Congress should make them.

-I'm introducing a bill to: Reverse the Trump admin’s limits on the use of consent decrees

– and then expand them

Empower state AGs to pursue their own investigations into discriminatory policing

Triple DOJ's  @CivilRights

funding to allow it to pursue these cases

:unsure:

I wonder what the actual local and state Dems leaders think about this?  E.g. the mayors of L.A., NYC,  Chicago,  Atlanta, etc.... 

Do they really want the Feds to investigate their police departments?        In addition Congress already passed such a law after the Rodney King incidence.     The Obama and Holder lead DOJ used this law,  but obviously wasn't effective.       Of course such a bill will NOT be signed by Trump so this is just more pandering by Dems.    But even if it would pass would that appease BLM?      

Seth Abramson (@)

@SethAbramson

I worked in the justice system as a public defender for years. Systemic racism is everywhere. Money must be systematically reallocated to prevention and rehabilitation. But defunding or disbanding police would cause vulnerable people horrific suffering and I don't support either.

PS/ We can transform policing without leaving battered women and children nowhere to report their emergencies.

We can make a historic turn toward investment in communities and the rehabilitation of nonviolent offenders without empowering sexual predators and the serially violent.

PS2/ We can dramatically reduce the use of cash bail. We can legalize, decriminalize, or deemphasize enforcement of some overwritten or unnecessary criminal statutes. We can take money from militarizing police and put it towards more shelter beds for abused or other at-risk kids..........

PS5/ Don't say "defund" unless you mean *that word*—defund, which means the removal of all funding.

Don't say "disband" unless you mean disbanding—abolishing—police.

If what you want is funding and allocation reform, I'm with you 100% and that should be the transparent messaging..........

PS3/ I hear some people using the word "defund" as political messaging who then immediately say, "Oh, but I don't really mean *defund*!"

Did you know Fox News is already running a 24/7 attack on Dems over "defunding"?

Political messaging matters. Stop helping Trump get reelected..........

.......And you won't find hardly any CJS experts—including the most progressive public defenders, victim-witness advocates, judges, GALs or probation officers—backing defund/disband efforts..............

CONCLUSION/ Political messaging matters in activism. When people say "defund" but don't mean what that word *literally means*, it's a massive gift to Trump—

and his media organs spend all day every day gathering new independent and moderate voters off it.

We can't let that happen........

see:  https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1269658207619858432

:huh:

• Thanks 1

‘Black Americans want to stop being killed’: Democrats unveil sweeping police reform bill

The bill would make dramatic changes to police policy across the country and undo decades-old laws.

"........While the legislation proposes a sweeping overhaul of current laws — including moving to ban chokeholds and making it easier to sue police officers who unjustly injure or kill citizens — it doesn’t answer liberals’ most aggressive demand to “defund the police.” Police departments are largely funded at the state and local level, although there is significant federal aid.

Democrats want to lower the federal threshold for when police officers can be charged with using excessive force and limit “qualified immunity” which currently shields officers from lawsuits over their misconduct, according to a draft outline obtained by POLITICO.

Democrats are also seeking to create a “National Police Misconduct Registry,” end racial profiling, bar the use of “no-knock” arrest warrants in drug cases, develop a national standard on using force, and limit the transfer of military equipment to police departments, among other initiatives.

The legislation would also make lynching a federal crime.............

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/08/democrats-to-unveil-sweeping-police-reform-bill-307108

the above is biased and blatantly unfair to the millions of cops in this country who routinely daily put themselves on the chopping block against violent criminals to protect the lot of us including liberals.

the above casts the police as an enemy of the american people.

this is what liberals and the democrats have been doing since the Vietnam era....

ringing the dinner bell for the criminals and all those who would tear down the foundations of western civilization.

liberals secretly yearn for chaos and disorder.

reign of terror France is a heaven to them...

SKUNKS!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

the above is biased and blatantly unfair to the millions of cops in this country who routinely daily put themselves on the chopping block against violent criminals to protect the lot of us including liberals.

the above casts the police as an enemy of the american people.

this is what liberals and the democrats have been doing since the Vietnam era....

ringing the dinner bell for the criminals and all those who would tear down the foundations of western civilization.

liberals secretly yearn for chaos and disorder.

reign of terror France is a heaven to them...

SKUNKS!

and they've always been kinda fond of the mau-mau uprising too.

• Confused 1

George Floyd death: Seven solutions to US police problems

"Protesters across the US have taken to the streets in the wake of George Floyd's death to demand an end to police brutality and what they see as systemic racism.

In response, Democrats have proposed legislation to address inequities and reduce deaths in custody, including measures that would require police to wear body cameras, ban chokeholds and make it easier to prosecute officers.

Here's a look at some of these proposed solutions, and other potential ways to reform policing. ........

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52981634?xtor=AL-72-[partner]-[bbc.news.twitter]-[headline]-[news]-[bizdev]-[isapi]&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld&at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=9F0A9408-AA91-11EA-A517-A5AF4744363C&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_campaign=64

• Thanks 1

Using the terms defund, dismantle, etc. will elect more Republicans to state,local and federal offices and reelect Trump in Nov.  Count on it.

There is a definite need to reorganize police departments at all levels and to reallocate funding priorities.  Not to mention total retraining of law enforcement officers at all levels.  There also needs to be intense psychiatric examination of recruits.   People who go into law enforcement and other "first responder" fields do not think the same as others.   Of course, Hollywood is partially to blame for how police often behave.

There are too many police chiefs, sheriffs, etc. who want the latest technology, equipment, etc. to play with.  There are police departments with as few as 10 officers who have to have police dogs because other departments do.   Even though the county sheriffs departments already have dogs readily available to all municipalities.  These PD's also pull their officers off patrolling so they can go to all kinds of training they will never use.  

Congress should immediately cancel the programs for transferring military equipment to police departments.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2020 at 8:36 PM, NipkowDisc said:

and they've always been kinda fond of the mau-mau uprising too.

A piece of advice: lay off all those lysol injections for a little while.

Rep. Pramila Jayapal

@RepJayapal

·

18h

Ban chokeholds.

End police brutality.

Stop no-knock warrants.

Demilitarize the police.

Establish a police misconduct database.

These kinds of sweeping, transformational changes are absolutely essential. They will save lives.

·
6h

I am proud that the Justice in Policing Act promotes civilian oversight

and allows federal funding to go toward building Civilian Review Boards.

I believe that this is one answer to protecting our communities and rebuilding the trust with police.

San Francisco police officers will be replaced with trained, unarmed professionals to respond to calls for help on noncriminal matters

involving mental health, the homeless, school discipline and neighbor disputes, as part of a new wave of police reforms

:)

13 hours ago, mr6666 said:

San Francisco police officers will be replaced with trained, unarmed professionals to respond to calls for help on noncriminal matters

involving mental health, the homeless, school discipline and neighbor disputes, as part of a new wave of police reforms

:)

What are "noncriminal" matters?

• Like 1

I still say that all people applying for jobs in law enforcement must undergo strenuous mental health screenings.  This should also apply to firefighters and EMS as well, but especially to law enforcement.

We also need to eliminate ALL elective law enforcement positions, such as county sheriffs. 

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

What are "noncriminal" matters?

Come on you really don't know?    Finding lost children,  helping recuse pets,  responding to someone that see something they-think-is-suspicious that isn't a crime, etc...    Funny but  my wife just asked me something similar and I so we  watched One -Adam-12 (Decades at 5:00 PM):  typically an episode consist of a main story and 3 - 6 really short 'responding to calls' scenes and one or two of those are  often "noncriminal" matters.

I assume this was done to help humanize the cops,   the general population of L.A.,    as well as the entire show;  (versus a show where 90% of the non-cops are harden criminals and all the scenes are about cops versus these criminals,,,,,which would make for a really 'bummer dude' of a show).

PS:   one issues that leads to a lot of debate is how to handle mental health issues;   sometimes a cop is needed;   if a city\county changes how these are treated (first send in non-cops \ mental health professionals)  and cops are called only when a situation turns violent (or to some activist 'really' violent),,,,  that could lead to more harm for both the public,  those living with the person with mental health issues,  and the one with the issues.    I.e.  timing is critical,,,,.    

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, TheCid said:

Using the terms defund, dismantle, etc. will elect more Republicans to state,local and federal offices and reelect Trump in Nov.  Count on it.

There is a definite need to reorganize police departments at all levels and to reallocate funding priorities.  Not to mention total retraining of law enforcement officers at all levels.  There also needs to be intense psychiatric examination of recruits.   People who go into law enforcement and other "first responder" fields do not think the same as others.   Of course, Hollywood is partially to blame for how police often behave.

There are too many police chiefs, sheriffs, etc. who want the latest technology, equipment, etc. to play with.  There are police departments with as few as 10 officers who have to have police dogs because other departments do.   Even though the county sheriffs departments already have dogs readily available to all municipalities.  These PD's also pull their officers off patrolling so they can go to all kinds of training they will never use.  

Congress should immediately cancel the programs for transferring military equipment to police departments.  

I suspect that is where the problem really lies, in our police academies. you shouldn't graduate and hand a uniform to just anyone.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Come on you really don't know?    Finding lost children,  helping recuse pets,  responding to someone that see something they-think-is-suspicious that isn't a crime, etc...    Funny but  my wife just asked me something similar and I so we  watched One -Adam-12 (Decades at 5:00 PM):  typically an episode consist of a main story and 3 - 6 really short 'responding to calls' scenes and one or two of those are  often "noncriminal" matters.

I assume this was done to help humanize the cops,   the general population of L.A.,    as well as the entire show;  (versus a show where 90% of the non-cops are harden criminals and all the scenes are about cops versus these criminals,,,,,which would make for a really 'bummer dude' of a show).

PS:   one issues that leads to a lot of debate is how to handle mental health issues;   sometimes a cop is needed;   if a city\county changes how these are treated (first send in non-cops \ mental health professionals)  and cops are called only when a situation turns violent (or to some activist 'really' violent),,,,  that could lead to more harm for both the public,  those living with the person with mental health issues,  and the one with the issues.    I.e.  timing is critical,,,,.    

Geez, ask a question and you get criticized.  I'll try not to ask anything in the future. 

In my small town with a police force of about 10, one of them is animal control (no weapon).  She's the one who would help rescue a pet.  As for lost children, I think most PD's are going to send out as many "troops" as they can.  That's the way it is around here.  They will also bring out the dogs who are handled by armed law enforcement.

"See something that is suspicious, but not a crime."   Hmm.

One of the reasons police got involved in some many non-crime activities was a component of community policing.  Let the police be human and "neighbors" and show up to be helpful, not just to be someone with a gun that might be used.

It would be interesting to see how law enforcement handles having to have unarmed personnel added to the armed personnel.  This would probably add another layer of bureaucracy and increased budgets.

Incidentally, the show is Adam-12, but their call sign is 1-Adam-12.  Been watching it for years and currently comes on 2 X's per day.  The show is a Jack Webb production and with the blessing of the LAPD, so it has to be very favorable to police.

Disbanding Notorious NYPD Anti-Crime Unit Is a “Shell Game,” Critics Say

“It’s moving around resources and actual police officers, shuffling them around within the department to make it look like what we’re asking for, but we’re actually calling for a much larger systemic shift,” Bandele told The Intercept. “We’re not talking about shuffling resources and people within the police department. We’re talking about moving around resources within the citywide budget in a way that makes our communities safer. That means actually moving money out of the NYPD budget, and moving those resources into education, housing, mental health services, homelessness services.”

“Internal personnel changes don’t really address the fact that our communities are over-policed and under-resourced.”..........

https://theintercept.com/2020/06/16/nypd-anti-crime-unit/

37 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Yes,  Mitch is trying to play the people,  just like you did the citizens of CA,  especially people-of-color,  when you wouldn't support similar measures as AG of the state.