Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

♠ 1969 MASTERS Tournament and other Info ♠

I'm in a golf-minded mood this evening. 

In March of 2018 the Masters Tournament committee uploaded all the final-round CBS broadcasts from 1968 to the present day.  CBS had broadcast the tournament since 1956;  I don't know why the '56-'67 final-round broadcasts weren't uploaded, but I wish I did know!  I'd like to see all the earlier ones and/or find out why they aren't on YouTube.  I wish the 3rd Round CBS broadcasts were uploaded, too!  I'd watch them.  :)

As far as the final-round Masters Tournament broadcasts that were uploaded from 1968-onward here in the breakdown of the early uploads:

1968 -  Archival black-and-white kinescope.  The original color videotape was probably 'wiped' and reused because videotape was expensive back then and many programs of the time were 'wiped'.  Game shows, soap operas, sporting events, musical shows, early Tonight Shows starring Johnny Carson, et al.  All received the wiping treatment.  This telecast runs 78 minutes.  The ending is unforgettable.  The final group of Gary Player and Bruce Devlin complete play at the 64½-minute mark leaving the rest of the telecast to sort out what happened.  And it ain't pretty!  NOTE the 'continuous putting rule' was in effect!  

1969-  Archival black-and-white kinescope.  Likely the same deal as '68.  MORE on this tournament below.  Broadcast Running Time:  1 hr 26 minutes.  This was the final year of the 'continuous putting rule' so if you watch the upload and wonder why George Archer wouldn't mark his ball at the 17th and wait for Tom Weiskopf to putt first, well, that's why! 

1970-  This one is a color kinescope.  (Why no color kinescopes in '68 and '69?  Maybe those were recorded in color and black-and-white but the color kinescope simply deteriorated?  Beats me).  The 1970 Masters Tournament was the last 18-hole playoff in the tournament's history.  Note that there is ♦bonus♦ coverage because "the hockey game ended early".  I guess CBS was covering Stanley Cup hockey in '70.  The last 6 holes of the playoff on Monday were also covered by CBS so this upload runs 3 hours 12 minutes and further includes a lengthy Green Jacket presentation by the 18th Green subsequent to the playoff.     

1971-  Back to the archival black-and-white kinescope bit!  I guess no color kinescope either survived or was filmed by a color camera.  Again this year, it is mentioned by CBS there is bonus coverage due to the hockey game ending early.  From what I gather CBS had allotted 90 minutes to final round Masters coverage.  I'm guessing from 3:30 PM to 5 PM Eastern.  This runs 1 hour 49 minutes.      

1972-  The first Masters upload from a videotape.  But a truncated final-round broadcast is all that's currently available.  I can only surmise for 1972 there was not a camera pointed at the original telecast for archival purposes.  Ergo, no kinescope of the full broadcast.  → It is possible the full-length color 'master' videotape had been re-used and whatever had been recorded over the first part of the telecast was ♦short♦.  Or the original videotape could simply have deteriorated to a point where only the last 53 minutes of the broadcast could be uploaded.  There's not much golf to be seen no matter what happened!  When it cuts on the final group of Jack Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf are on the 16th Green looking over birdie putts at the Par-3.  There is a long interview session at the end of the broadcast in Butler Cabin as well.    

1973-  This one's almost ♦gone♦.  All the currently exists of Tommy Aaron's win is 22 minutes.  The only golf seen is the final group on the 18th Green.  J.C. Snead had a 20-foot to tie Aaron, who had completed play at 5-under.  I hope The Masters staff is able to find a complete broadcast somewhere of the '73 Masters.  Tommy Aaron is still alive at 83.  He'd probably like to see it. 

ANYWAY . . .

I really like the 1969 Masters Tournament.  Standing on the 18th tee five players had a chance to either tie or win the tournament outright.  None of The Big Three of Palmer, Player and Nicklaus were near the lead by the final nine on Sunday.  Nicklaus started the final round needing a round in the mid-60s to contend, but he shot 76 and was out of contention after the front nine.  Billy Casper was never considered one of the The Big Three or what could have been "The Big Four", but he held the lead starting the final round on Sunday at 8-under par. 

The final 3 twosomes that Sunday were:

COODY, Charles  74-68-69=211 (-5)

KNUDSON, George  70-73-69=212 (-4)

-------------------------

ARCHER, George  67-73-69=209 (-7)

WEISKOPF, Tom  71-71-69=211 (-5)

--------------------------

CASPER, Billy  66-71-71=208 (-8)

BARBER, Miller  71-71-68=210 (-6)

Until the 1982 Masters → the final two groups had the players in 1st and 3rd Place in the last group then the players in 2nd and 4th position in the penultimate group.  Today you'd have Casper and Archer paired together with Barber and Weiskopf in the second-to-last twosome. 

NOTE that if you watch the broadcast no other golfers are seen besides those in the last 3 groups except for one shot hit by Jack Nicklaus (+3)  out of the fairway bunker at the 18th.  You see Lionel Hebert on the Leaderboard but never see him hit a shot!  Same with Gene Littler.

As the final round neared its conclusion 5 players stood on the 18th Tee with a chance to either tie or win the tournament outright:  Coody, Knudson, Archer, Weiskopf and Casper.  Only Miller Barber stood on the final tee that Sunday with no chance to win. 

Casper had gone +5 through the first 10 holes before composing himself; he was down to -3 before making a comeback.  Charles Coody eagled the 13th to take the lead . . . for a while.  Canadian George Knudson was a great ball striker and, unfortunately, one of the worst putters on TOUR.  But this Sunday he managed to get his putter to cooperate a little bit!  George Archer hit one of the all-time groovy chip shots at the Masters at the Par-5 15th Hole in the final round.  Check it out!  Weiskopf played steady golf all round . . . but his second shot at the 17th was rough! 

Observation:  WATCHING the 1969 Masters on a black-and-white kinescope is truly like watching an old movie that hasn't been remastered!  There's the 'muddy' look, the grain, the scratches and various pops and hisses.  When George Knudson is putting on the 18th Green it sounds like a tennis ball is being hit in the background! 

13 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Observation:  WATCHING the 1969 Masters on a black-and-white kinescope is truly like watching an old movie that hasn't been remastered!  There's the 'muddy' look, the grain, the scratches and various pops and hisses.  When George Knudson is putting on the 18th Green it sounds like a tennis ball is being hit in the background! 

I'm watching Dark Shadows on DECADES and there are b&w kinescope in between color ones;   I was told these were the ones where the color master was lost and this was the only print left.    Filmed around the same time (late 60s).      I was told they (producers) didn't think there was a future for such material, even in the late 60s,  so the color master weren't taken care of. 

Joan Bennett is featured here;  even she didn't bring enough star power to make anyone think these shows would be of value decades in the future.

• Like 1

I reckon that was the same notion for old movies -- once they'd ended their theatrical run there wasn't much thought of preservation. 

I hope at some point the full telecasts for the 1972 and '73 Masters will be found an uploaded. 

From 1974-79 the Masters telecasts seem to be fully intact. 

However, the 1980 Masters upload is a piecemeal job.  It's a patchwork of shots and golfers without any announcing or scores for approx. the first 45 minutes of the 84 minute upload.  It's a mess! 

The 1981 Masters upload is better, but it's still kind of a mess.  This upload features the full CBS audio track . . . but what the announcers are saying does not match what you are seeing on the screen on a lot of occasions.  I don't know what happened with that, but it *IS* distracting!