Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marx Bros. films tonight

Beginning at 8pm tonight TCM will showcase the Four Marx Brothers (Zeppo incuded) in their Paramount films. Does anyone know why their first film "The Cocoanuts" is rarely if ever shown? Even times like tonight when all the other Paramount films are being shown they left out their first one. This has happened many times in the past.

...Is it perhaps seen as to early sound stiff " filmed with in unmoving camera stage play "? I like early sound's aspect that way, but.I guess it turns. **** some people. The first two films were both based on George S. Kaufman/Morrie Ryskind?? co-authored plays, I presume K-R's heirs still own their shares?? Or are they P.D. now? I recall Coconuts receiving a full revival on Broadway in the 90s starring Marx Brothers impersonators in their roles.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

A great showing, especially Horse Feathers. Everyone says I love you...

The great big mosquito when-a he sting you...

I remember, back in the days before home theater, when we didn't have these old movies memorized, the local theater was showing Horsefeathers in a double-feature:  There were some snickers of disgruntled PC annoyance when Thelma Todd tried baby-talking the football signals away from Groucho, and when Groucho responded, "...Was that you who said that, or the duck?" the whole theater exploded.  🤣

On 6/5/2020 at 8:02 PM, Walter L. said:

I recall Coconuts receiving a full revival on Broadway in the 90s starring Marx Brothers impersonators in their roles.

Ever since Tommy Tune's Broadway "A Day in Hollywood & A Night in the Ukraine" was shut down by the Marx estate--now that celebrities' estates actually could sue for unauthorized use of a classic star's likeness in the early 80's--the only way theater companies have been able to do Marx Bros. imitations is through revival productions of "The Cocoanuts" and, more often, "Animal Crackers".

Apparently, the estate can't sue if you're playing Captain Spaulding, Sr. Ravelli and the Professor as written.

I was laughing a lot watching these films. The first hour of Monkey Business, with the Marx Brothers on the ship, is especially funny. Did you notice the parody of Eugene O'Neill's Strange Interlude in Animal Crackers (the asides about how the characters really feel)? Strange Interlude was the highbrow play which Groucho & Co. enjoyed making fun of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I found that scene funny, but didn't realize it was a parody of a specific work.

It's left over from the play version:  

"If this were a Eugene O'Neill play, I could tell you both what I think of you.  You're just lucky the Guild isn't putting this on...And so is the Guild."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2