Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Little bummed about this change.  Don't get me wrong.  I do like Natalie Wood.  And am glad she gets her day again.  And J Wayne has been honored many times...  But wanted to catch 3 Wayne shows I'd love to watch including "The Comancheros"...  Still Awesome lineup!  And again thanks to TCM for keeping us entertained.  And Forum members for keeping us informed!

• Like 1

I go through the schedule and pick at least one a day, usually one I haven't seen if possible. I surprised myself by picking 7 for Sylvia Sidney. I couldn't decide, so my dvr is getting a workout that day. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Giggles Widlansky said:

And Olivia DeHaviland has replaced Bette Davis on August 23.

Thanks for the info.

This change is due to the fact that Olivia de Havilland just passed away, so they won't have to wait till September to do a memorial tribute.

I am sure Bette will return to the schedule next year. TCM won't neglect her.

Just now, TopBilled said:

Thanks for the info.

This change is due to the fact that Olivia de Havilland just passed away, so they won't have to wait till September to do a memorial tribute.

I am sure Bette will return to the schedule next year. TCM won't neglect her.

One of the movies they are showing, Hard to Get, was originally scheduled for her birthday earlier in the month but was pulled and replaced by Libel. Glad to see it being brought back on.

And To Each His Own, which I see get requested often on a TCM fan page I'm on, is also scheduled.

Just now, Giggles Widlansky said:

One of the movies they are showing, Hard to Get, was originally scheduled for her birthday earlier in the month but was pulled and replaced by Libel. Glad to see it being brought back on.

And To Each His Own, which I see get requested often on a TCM fan page I'm on, is also scheduled.

Where is the schedule change posted? I looked and still see Bette's films listed for the 23rd of August.

Okay...I just found the schedule change. I see it was updated on the Canadian schedule, but not yet updated on the U.S. schedule.

I've gone back and edited the first post/list of honorees...and I've edited the post that had Bette's films listed and replaced them with Olivia's films.

The lovely picture I had of Bette Davis & Gary Merrill and their kids has now been replaced by a photo of Olivia de Havilland and her second husband Pierre Galante with their infant daughter.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 2:52 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Did I hear right?  Did Ben say yesterday this was the first time in 18 years that John Barrymore was a SUTS honoree?

My understanding is that John Barrymore is a 1st time Honoree this year.  And this is TCM's 18th year of Celebrating  SUTS!  So sounds right.  I havta say, I too was surprised this is the Great John Barrymore's first time...  Makes me realize how many Greats deserve their day!  More to look forward to during future celebrations...

• Like 2
On 7/28/2020 at 10:35 AM, TopBilled said:

Okay...I just found the schedule change. I see it was updated on the Canadian schedule, but not yet updated on the U.S. schedule.

I've gone back and edited the first post/list of honorees...and I've edited the post that had Bette's films listed and replaced them with Olivia's films.

The lovely picture I had of Bette Davis & Gary Merrill and their kids has now been replaced by a photo of Olivia de Havilland and her second husband Pierre Galante with their infant daughter.

Very amazing schedule list you do each year!  I do appreciate your hard work & dedication!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Terri Williams Palos said:

Very amazing schedule list you do each year!  I do appreciate your hard work & dedication!

Thank you. That's very nice of you to say.

Re: John Barrymore, I think he was a Star of the Month many years ago, as part of a month-long retrospective on the Barrymores. So he shared that particular honor with brother Lionel and sister Ethel. They were in some films together.

However, with a Summer Under the Stars tribute, the programmers can aid us in looking more specifically at John's motion picture career and how it evolved.

• Like 2

Thanks, Terri and TopBilled.     It had been a long time coming for John alone.

That being said, I was also happy they included Nina Foch in the festivities!  

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

That's one thing that's so cool about Summer Under The Stars.  They have a wide array of people to choose from, and while the selections may not be for everyone's taste, you can usually find at least one or two movies a day for each actor or actress, based on the co-stars alone!  I'm glad TCM gives a day of programming each August for people like Nina Foch and S.Z. Sakall.  And the tidbits you get from the wrap-arounds in prime time are most interesting.  I never knew Lana Turner only received one Oscar nomination in her long career, and that it came for her role in "Peyton Place".  I thought she gave a better performance in "Madame X", which I had never seen before until it aired after "Peyton Place".  I had never seen the movie, "The Dark Past" until Saturday (Nina Foch day), and I thought Lee J. Cobb and William Holden gave excellent performances in their roles.  Last week on Goldie Hawn's day, I watched "Best Friends" which co-starred Burt Reynolds.  I'd never seen that one before either, and I thought the parents in the film (Jessica Tandy, Bernard Hughes, Audra Lindley, and Keenan Wynn) were hilarious!

On top of that, the crazy-quilt schedule of honorees makes me chuckle sometime.  What other station would offer fare on consecutive days featuring Goldie Hawn, Norma Shearer, Sammy Davis Jr., Lana Turner, John Barrymore, Steve McQueen, and Nina Foch?  Thanks again TCM, for another great Summer Under The Stars.  Once again, you give us a reason to watch television in August! 

• Like 3
On 8/16/2020 at 1:36 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Yes...I enjoyed Nina Foch's tribute too. I enjoyed seeing so many Columbia noir.

Maybe next summer they can give Evelyn Keyes a day, since she was also a Columbia contract player.

• Like 3

I find I'm watching and recording more movies during this year's SUTS than in past years. Lots of movies I haven't seen in a while (Love with the Proper Stranger, In This Our Life) and movies I'm watching for the first time plus some old favorites. Good mix this year.

• Like 3
On 8/23/2020 at 4:14 PM, Peebs said:

I find I'm watching and recording more movies during this year's SUTS than in past years. Lots of movies I haven't seen in a while (Love with the Proper Stranger, In This Our Life) and movies I'm watching for the first time plus some old favorites. Good mix this year.

Yeah, variety is a great thing. I prefer to see a smattering of classic films from different eras and different countries if possible.

• Like 2

With Charlton Heston on the scheduale again this year.  Which I’m so excited about.  Because I missed him last time.  So I’m really looking forward to it.  I can’t wait.  Because he was just a really wonderful actor.  Wasn’t he?  So I have a few questions.  Does anyone remember that made for TV movie for The Disney Channel and seen The Little Kidnappers?  Where two kids discover a baby?  I think it’s a lost baby and he’s the bad guy whose after the baby and tries to get the kids to tell him where it is?  I’ve always wanted to see that.  Maybe it’s on YouTube and has anyone seen the made for TV movie version of Treasure Island from 1990?  With him as Long John Silver?  I’ve always wanted to see that one too.  Maybe that’s on YouTube too.

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

With Charlton Heston on the scheduale again this year.  Which I’m so excited about.  Because I missed him last time.  So I’m really looking forward to it.  I can’t wait.  Because he was just a really wonderful actor.  Wasn’t he?  So I have a few questions.  Does anyone remember that made for TV movie for The Disney Channel and seen The Little Kidnappers?  Where two kids discover a baby?  I think it’s a lost baby and he’s the bad guy whose after the baby and tries to get the kids to tell him where it is?  I’ve always wanted to see that.  Maybe it’s on YouTube and has anyone seen the made for TV movie version of Treasure Island from 1990?  With him as Long John Silver?  I’ve always wanted to see that one too.  Maybe that’s on YouTube too.

THE KIDNAPPERS was originally a British film made in 1953.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kidnappers