Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When protesters cry 'defund the police,' what does it mean?


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I am heartened when I hear police depts are stocking up on military hardware and here is why....

look at mexico and ask yourselves just how did the drug cartels get such a foothold down there. they are as well-armed if not more so than the federalis. how did that happen?

simple. the cartels sensed weakness and exploited that ch in k.

and the same dam thing could happen up here if people doan wake up and stop swallowing the real Kool-Aid being hosed down their throats by liberal democrats and their sick America-hating street scum allies.

 

Police are better armed than you think.  The out gunned era of Bonnie and Clyde never happened again.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I am heartened when I hear police depts are stocking up on military hardware and here is why....

look at mexico and ask yourselves just how did the drug cartels get such a foothold down there. they are as well-armed if not more so than the federalis. how did that happen?

simple. the cartels sensed weakness and exploited that ch in k.

and the same dam thing could happen up here if people doan wake up and stop swallowing the real Kool-Aid being hosed down their throats by liberal democrats and their sick America-hating street scum allies.

 

The guns and arms that drug cartels and others in Mexico  are due largely to Texas’ liberal gun laws.  They have made their way down that way, along with bartering of guns for some drugs.  Worth’s like the GOP Iran-Contra scam of the late 80s.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not just big cosmopolitan cities that are wasting tax payer's money on unnecessary weapons of war for police.  This was to cost $350,000

Halifax Pulls Plug On Armoured Police Vehicle Purchase As ‘Defund The Police’ Movement Gains Traction

Halifax Armoured Police Vehicle Purchase In Jeopardy As ‘Defund The Police’ Movement Gains Traction

Halifax Armoured Police Vehicle Purchase In Jeopardy As ‘Defund The Police’ Movement Gains Traction (Halifax Regional Police/Halton Police)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an argument to be made that the more you deprive the majority of people decent health care, education and a chance to get ahead in the world the more the billionaire class will depend on these heavily armed police to protect their wealth from an upset and fed up populace.

Of course instead of arming the police to the teeth to control your peasants you could instead spend that same money on them and keep them contented.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

There is an argument to be made that the more you deprive the majority of people decent health care, education and a chance to get ahead in the world the more the billionaire class will depend on these heavily armed police to protect their wealth from an upset and fed up populace.

Of course instead of arming the police to the teeth to control your peasants you could instead spend that same money on them and keep them contented.

Very valid point and something most city and county leaders discuss and debate each and every year when they work on a city or county budget.

Having more of these discussions is necessary,  but the clueless pandering by some Dems on 'defunding' to appease activist groups in-the-moment,   isn't very helpful,  but instead likely to delay any actual progress.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hamradio said:

Police are better armed than you think.  The out gunned era of Bonnie and Clyde never happened again.

 

Well you know what happened to Bonnie and Clyde. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a liberal I do not believe that slaughtering people should be restricted to people lying in their

beds. That would discriminate against those who are up and about and doing things and give them

a free pass so to speak. Let's keep slaughter an equal opportunity endeavor and make sure that

people of all groups are subject to it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

There is an argument to be made that the more you deprive the majority of people decent health care, education and a chance to get ahead in the world the more the billionaire class will depend on these heavily armed police to protect their wealth from an upset and fed up populace.

Of course instead of arming the police to the teeth to control your peasants you could instead spend that same money on them and keep them contented...they got an internet chock full of porno video clips. what more could they want?

:D

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Of course instead of arming the police to the teeth to control your peasants you could instead spend that same money on them and keep them contented.

But if the weapon manufacturers were really smart they'd develop and sell defensive weapons to the general public. They could play both ends against the middle. 

l31vsHR.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Very valid point and something most city and county leaders discuss and debate each and every year when they work on a city or county budget.

Having more of these discussions is necessary,  but the clueless pandering by some Dems on 'defunding' to appease activist groups in-the-moment,   isn't very helpful,  but instead likely to delay any actual progress.

 

 

I don't really consider it "pandering" to give an ear to any alternative ideas, or see it too as an attempt to "appease".  That part of the post more sounds like NIP instead of your usual well thought out and insightful posts.  And I believe the term "defund" has been widely misunderstood by some to think it means to do away with police forces altogether. There's some argument on the side of it meaning to cut outside funding for big city forces if they fail to meet more strident guidelines in procedures.  There's really never a need to put choke holds on any criminal suspect  to the point of putting his life in danger or losing it  any more than like in the late '60's for cops to wade into a bevy of peaceful war protesters while swinging billy clubs.  OR national guardsmen shooting into a crowd of non-violently demonstrating college students.  And while Joe Biden's suggestion to "Shoot 'em in the leg." might sound dumb, it IS better than shooting 'em into the ground.  But a stray bullet is blind and the risk of the well known "innocent bystander"  stopping it is too great to give the idea any credence.  

Sepiatone 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't really consider it "pandering" to give an ear to any alternative ideas, or see it too as an attempt to "appease". 

See what Pelosi is saying now about the Confederate statues in DC.      Uh,,, these statues have been there for many decades.    There have been calls from activist to remove them for decades.      NOW the Dem establishment wing of the party is finally saying 'those need to come down'.       

Looks like a lame attempt to appease to me.       

What's next;   A Washington DC football team noticing their name?????      

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Then there's the "too little too late" move to change military base named for confederate generals.  How THAT came to be in the first place is the puzzle.  

And the idea that the only problem with statues of confederate generals has to do with racism is off base too.

These men fought and were leaders in an army that was the military arm of a government which was an ENEMY of the United States.  Putting up a statue or monument of ROBERT E. LEE or STONEWALL JACKSON in any town square is tantamount to  erecting monuments to ADOLF HITLER, TOJO or ROMMEL. 

And the NASCAR driver who b!tched about not allowing the "stars and bars" to be displayed at races as "political BS"  misses that point also.  If he feels so strong about displaying the confederate flag, why not also fly the red HAMMER AND SICKLE Soviet flag, or the Nazi SWASTIKA flag as well?  There's really no difference.  They were this nation's enemies as much as the C.S.A. was.  

And something interesting in this morning's Free Press was a column written by an ex cop, African-American, who pointed out that "defunding" police forces could work against the protester's intent and indeed may backfire.  He pointed out that once funding is cut or reduced, police forces will not sacrifice personnel or equipment in order to stay within a newly reduced budget, but instead will likely close down most(if not all) of their "outreach" projects, like PAL(Police Athletic League) and others aimed at working with youths in troubled areas and neighborhoods and that attempt to foster better understanding between the police and the communities in which they serve.  

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...