Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Allhallowsday

NOW THEN LATER

TCM has always advised after a movie is over what the next three programs will be and the time they will be airing.  Just recently TCM is showing "Now" "Then" "Later" instead of the TIME the next three films will be broadcast... I don't think that was a good idea. 

• Thanks 1

Someone else brought that up earlier.  And I agree it's not helpful.  I suppose TCM figures regular viewers will have their newsletter handy or have already looked ahead and noted when something they like will show.  I don't know.  I know I always look ahead using my cable service's guide to determine the time, but not everyone accesses the channel by cable, or has a service that provides a guide.  So I'm in agreement that it IS a bad idea.  

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Since my recorder doesn’t possess corresponding NOW-THEN-LATER buttons the ending of last evening’s airing of “The Five Pennies” 1959 (I patiently waited over a decade for TCM to air) wasn’t seen this morning as the recorder was set per TCM’s online schedules times, which had no way of adjusting to actual NOW-THEN-LATER airing times…the movie apparently started late and thus ended late, as in, later than the TCM online scheduled times the recorder was set to.

PO’d :angry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

Since my recorder doesn’t possess corresponding NOW-THEN-LATER buttons the ending of last evening’s airing of “The Five Pennies” 1959 (I patiently waited over a decade for TCM to air) wasn’t seen this morning as the recorder was set per TCM’s online schedules times, which had no way of adjusting to actual NOW-THEN-LATER airing times…the movie apparently started late and thus ended late, as in, later than the TCM online scheduled times the recorder was set to.

That's a great example of why I don't understand this change.  Sure, I know some movies are liable to be scheduled for 2 hours, 3 hours, an hour and a half... I don't know the logical programming length of every movie I might want to look at ... the TIME of the airing, however, is helpful. 

• Like 1

I don't blame JEANNECRAIN for being pizzed. 

Sepiatone.

• Thanks 1

Oh, I should have deduced what you meant in your first post. Yes, there's been another thread about this already. I suggested that TCM didn't want to post specific starting times anymore, because sometimes the next movie's beginning might be as much as 30 minutes away, and they want to hang on to viewers who might otherwise turn off their TVs when they realize how far away the next movie is. Someone immediately suggested my thoughts were stupid, because TCM has stated publicly they don't pay any attention to ratings. So I retorted that well, they want people to keep their TVs on long enough so they will see either a Backlot or Wine Club ad, which is now obligatory to air between every movie.

@sewhite2000:  I was the one who posted after your post on the earlier thread.  I don't recall saying or suggesting your thoughts were stupid.   If you took it that way, I apologize.  It was not in any way intended as such.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

TCM has always advised after a movie is over what the next three programs will be and the time they will be airing.  Just recently TCM is showing "Now" "Then" "Later" instead of the TIME the next three films will be broadcast... I don't think that was a good idea. 

Probably because they don't want to broadcast all the time zones for each schedule.  (Remember "Tonight at 8pm, 7 Central!"?)  Also, with no commercials, there's no guaranteed on-the-half-hour start or stop time.

It's easier to broadcast the sequence, and let all the West coast folk check their own listings.

6 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

It looks as if this feature was allowed to overrun by about 5 min beyond scheduled time.  That is because I recorded it too, using online schedule information to schedule it.  I know it went 5 min over because I already had padding set up on my recorder to start 4 min early and end 6 min late (out of previous trial and error), and this movie only had about a minute remaining on my recording after the end credits. 

(The DVR padding typically only has to be set once, it then applies to all recordings - except it doesn't apply to the middle of a double feature, though it still captures everything,.  Your DVR features may vary here.)

So right now I just went over and readjusted mine to 5 minutes pre-padding and 10 minutes post-padding, which seems a bit silly, but I like to have at least 3-5 min padding on each side of the actual feature, and this condition doesn't seem to be improving. 

In my case the most recent padding extension was to add a minute or two at the end to get the entire 1 hour Western they show on their Saturday matinee, as that consistently didn't fit into the allotted time on their schedule.

So my suggestion to you and anyone else out there would be to investigate (RTFM - read the fine manual) and see if you have the option to set pre/post padding on your DVR's scheduled recordings.  It is better to have some expected gack you can ignore or cut out later, rather than miss part of the movie...

I don't record any programming. 

I always go to TCM to see what's playing; if it's at the end of the feature, I wait to see what the next three programs are to be broadcast.  Once in awhile I am interested to look at one or more and have planned to watch something based upon what TIME it was on... like a few weeks ago I saw FROM BEYOND was coming on at 2am... so I planned to stay up for TCM Underground...

4 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

Yes. I noticed that the timeslot for it actuially started at 12:02 last night, plus when you throw in a 4 minute intro, it cut the last four minutes of the film. I don't blame you for being angry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't record things and I wish they would put the two Danny Kaye films they ran recently in their On Demand choices (i.e., you can play it when you are ready).  Often do that when I don't like what is on TV.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

@sewhite2000:  I was the one who posted after your post on the earlier thread.  I don't recall saying or suggesting your thoughts were stupid.   If you took it that way, I apologize.  It was not in any way intended as such.

I was mainly trying to make the story more exciting than it actually was. Sorry if I wrongly assigned a motive to you that didn't actually exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I was mainly trying to make the story more exciting than it actually was. Sorry if I wrongly assigned a motive to you that didn't actually exist.

No worries.

• Thanks 1

I think Next/Then/Later is completely idiotic.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

It's easier to broadcast the sequence, and let all the West coast folk check their own listings.

They could just use Eastern time (or UTC, which would make the biannual time change easier) and let people in other time zones figure it out themselves.

• Like 2

Arrrrrgh!  Curse TCM!  I just was finishing off The Five Pennies (1959), only the second Danny Kaye movie I ever liked, and my recording stopped just before the end!  If they don't want to go to the trouble of telling their audience when the movies start and stop, the least they could to is let the cable and satellite companies that carry their channel know so people who record on their DVRs will actually get the movie!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Arrrrrgh!  Curse TCM!  I just was finishing off The Five Pennies (1959), only the second Danny Kaye movie I ever liked, and my recording stopped just before the end!  If they don't want to go to the trouble of telling their audience when the movies start and stop, the least they could to is let the cable and satellite companies that carry their channel know so people who record on their DVRs will actually get the movie!

We can all still find all the exact times online, right? I'm a little confused at all the hostility here.

I am in NJ, hence EST, but any math ain't hard.  I am used to eBay being PST.  My employer for years was in SFO.  I dig not everyone sees anything the way I might, but... time zones?   Aren't TCM in Atlanta...?  If yer broadcasting nationwide... "Then" is more useful than 8pm est...?

49 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

We can all still find all the exact times online, right? I'm a little confused at all the hostility here.

I never used the (now removed) times shown on-air.  I have always used the online info (TCM website, etc) to manually schedule.  There is zero difference for me.  Above in my last post I detail my additional use of padding to eliminate these issues.

So I can only deduce that the on-air times might have been a bit more accurate here and there.  Maybe, maybe not...

Not everyone approaches recording/viewing exactly the same way.  It is mostly trial and error.  So there is that.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I pay extra for a DVR precisely so that I don't have to go to the trouble of identifying times, then programing my DVD player to record.  The whole idea is to find the program, select it, and not have to worry about it.  Additionally, I can record multiple overlapping programs so that I don't have to choose which to record or watch, or have to stay up til 3 am on a weeknight.  Not having the local schedules sync with TCM's broadcast defeats the whole purpose of the feature.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

So I'm in agreement that it IS a bad idea. 

9 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

That's quite the flip flop.  I don't see hostility.  I have been online and working from home for 20 years, so I dig looking up TCM schedules online.  YET, that rarely impacts my day-to-day  viewing.  I like to see the TIME when a program will be coming on even if it were Central, PST, EST, Mountain, Greenwich Mean Time or Oceania...  :lol:

• Like 2

I rarely understand anyone's replies to my posts. We can all still find the precise times a movie is going to start by looking online. That's all I'm saying.  People are expressing what feels like a lot of anger that this information is not presented on their TV screen anymore which is why I used the term hostility. But I can still go look on my computer.

First, and I've said the following before, I still miss the lady announcer with the pleasant voice who used to intone this thing.

Secondly, my DirectTV satelite guide function is still absolutely correct time-wise when I hit that button on my remote and thus have never used the internet/TCM's website to catch airing times, and even though I know not everyone has DirectTV as their TCM access. 

(...and thirdly, when I first saw this thread's topic heading, I was a bit confused and thought this thread was going to be some comment about the dangers of procrastination, but THEN realized it read "Now THEN later" and not "Now THAN later", AND now that I've read through this thing, I think I get what all the hubbub is about here!)  ;)

• Thanks 1