Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Allhallowsday

NOW THEN LATER

29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

First, and I've said the following before, I still miss the lady announcer with the pleasant voice who used to intone this thing.

Secondly, my DirectTV satelite guide function is still absolutely correct time-wise when I hit that button on my remote and thus have never used the internet/TCM's website to catch airing times, and even though I know not everyone has DirectTV as their TCM access. 

I forgot about the old voice over thing... I like that too. 

DirectTV is how I'm getting my TV. 

50 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I rarely understand anyone's replies to my posts. We can all still find the precise times a movie is going to start by looking online. That's all I'm saying.  People are expressing what feels like a lot of anger that this information is not presented on their TV screen anymore which is why I used the term hostility. But I can still go look on my computer.

You waffle on your opinion as demonstrated above.  I waffle too, not often.  It's not Rocket Science though, as far as wanting to see the TIME a program will be on.  YES I can look it up any number of ways.  Why do I want to do that?  I mean routinely...  I say: insert eyeroll. 

Sorry, I have no idea how to erase that non-reply I just accidentally posted.

I have zero idea how I'm waffling.

17 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I think Allhallows got you confused with Sepiatone earlier, sewhite.

If you go back to page-1, you'll see her post third from the bottom where she first quoted Sepiatone and then you within one single post, and so it appears she thought Sepia's comment in which he agreed with her and then your comment in which you appear to dissent a bit from hers is where she made the comment about "your waffling".

• Thanks 1

Dargo, I have DirectTV too, and the recording on my DVR for The Five Pennies (1959) froze before the end of the movie, just as Red starts to dance with his daughter.  This has never happened before in my experience.

• Thanks 2

I hope that doesn't mean ALLHALLOWS thinks I'M the "waffler".  I'm in total agreement with her here.

And SEWHITE;

Sure, I know anyone can go online and get info about movie times, but why should WE do THAT instead of TCM having such consideration for it's viewers?  And too, consider....

Not EVERYONE has "hand-held" devices they sit around all day playing on(like I don't) which means looking up anything online takes more time and effort for them to do. And why SHOULD anyone do that when TCM could just as easily put that information out there as the day goes along? 

You're sounding like the compliant kind of sucker that's allowed the market to control the consumer rather than leaving it the proper other way around. We should be given the choice as to either texting a company to order their product, or CALLING them.  Instead, I see an increase in ads that only give us a word to text to some number, and with no other way to contact them.  It's almost as if Samsung, LG and Apple got together and started paying kickbacks to these companies so that people would start snapping up smartphones( and not for free, mind you) so that they could text orders for their products, or download some silly "APP".  :angry:

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Okay, well, it's not a point I feel like getting into an argument about. I'm not crazy about the things you're talking about either, but this is America, where Noam Chomsky once said we have two political parties "the big business party and the other big business party", so it's doubtful anyone is ever going to be able to tell a giant corporation what they can or can't do in this country. 

• Thanks 1

Well it's MY point you're overlooking!

WE, the CONSUMERS should be able to tell giant corporations what to do or not by NOT blithely buying any crap they shove down our throats by them removing any semblance of being given a CHOICE. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I am in NJ, hence EST, but any math ain't hard.  I am used to eBay being PST.  My employer for years was in SFO.  I dig not everyone sees anything the way I might, but... time zones?   Aren't TCM in Atlanta...?  If yer broadcasting nationwide... "Then" is more useful than 8pm est...?

Maybe you've hit on one reason: incorrect times for some viewers.

TCM has two live feeds - east and west.  Typically, those of us in the Eastern and Central time zones would get the east feed, and Mountain and Pacific would use the west feed.  If you use WatchTCM, you can actually choose which one you want.

If every cable system and satellite user (and now, streaming services) used the correct feeds, then the on-air times would be correct, as the west coast feed is 3 hours later than the east coast feed, and the broadcast times are the same for Pacific and Eastern time zone viewers.

Some cable systems in the two westernmost zones, though, use the east coast feed for some reason, and the films are shifted 3 hours earlier than the times TCM would advertise on the channel for that time zone.  I've noticed this in hotels I've stayed at, where I was expecting their prime-time programming to start at 8pm Pacific, but it actually started at 5pm.

Using the Now/Later language gets rid of this problem.

It's a long shot explanation, but only the folks at TCM know why they changed it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I hope that doesn't mean ALLHALLOWS thinks I'M the "waffler".  I'm in total agreement with her here.

HIM HIM HIM!!!

• Haha 1

OOPS, sorry.  Saw DARGO refer to you as "her" up there earlier and simply followed suit.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It was indeed my error with the two "S" green background avatars.  My apology, you're not waffling.

45 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I am "he". 

Oops! Sorry, Allhallows. For some reason I was thinking you were a her.

(...won't make this mistake again, now that I know)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that the change is most likely due to streaming. I know of no streaming channel which indicates time except in their menu section which can be coded to present the proper time for the time zone in which the player is located.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...won't make this mistake again, now that I know)

I have absolute faith that you will find many new ones to make instead.

;)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I have absolute faith that you will find many new ones to make instead.

;)

LOL

Well Sans, as they say in Minnesota (and where Northwest Airlines used to send my sorry butt for a two and some years three day seminar every freakin' cold as hell and wintery January to their then corporate headquarters)...

"You betcha!"

;)

• Haha 1

QUESTION SEEKING UNIVERSAL TRUTH:  How can one be a "waffler" when one buys pancake mix from the Supermarket? 

I don't understand it . . . ?  Maybe someone can enlighten me? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Well Sans, as they say in Minnesota (and where Northwest Airlines used to send my sorry butt for a two and some years three day seminar every freakin' cold as hell and wintery January to their then corporate headquarters)...

"You betcha!"

;)

I dig it. 

My last employer arranged for everyone to fly into Chicago that February for a company-wide meeting.  Cold as hell no!  I learned within 36 hours that all flights were directed to other airports as the WIND was too strong at O'Hare... a short trip only overnight, they all had to get on their appropriate planes and a few hours later fly into Chicago land sometime in the early AM and GIT TO DAT 9an MEETIN'...  bwahhahahaha hah!  Eventually, the choice of skipping cost me that job.  It could not have worked out better for me. 

• Like 1

BTW... I've looked at TCM enough since to realize they're liable to say NEXT...  NOW I'd like to KNOW what TIME the damned program is starting. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

QUESTION SEEKING UNIVERSAL TRUTH:  How can one be a "waffler" when one buys pancake mix from the Supermarket? 

I apologize profusely for taking this thread so far from its topic but I have been waiting for several years for an opening for which this image might be even a little appropriate. It is one of my most-favorite-ever posts on Imgur:

19RaLLQ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Well, most boxed pancake mixes I'M familiar with also have instructions for waffle batter. Actually, it just gets down to making it thicker than for pancakes.  

And SANS' thing reminds me of something that actually happened....

My Mother had told me some years back that she had heard from the daughter of a woman who when I was a kid was one of her best friends.  That daughter and I were playmates up until I was 10 or 11.  Anyway....

This daughter asked my Mother if she had a recipe for some kind of confection( some cake of some kind) and my Mom said "yes" and offered to recite it over the phone.  But the girl said she didn't have the time and suggested my Mom write it down and mail it to her.  So she did.  And a few weeks later that person called her back complaining that it turned out badly. She asked her then to go over the recipe and shortly the problem was discovered.

The directions Mom wrote called for the usual stuff...  written as; 1C flour...... 2tsp. this. 1 Tbsp. that....  but the snag came when it called for 1 1/2 C of something or other...  And the friend's daughter took it to mean ONE HALF CUP of the ingredient!  :rolleyes:  And this girl has an engineering degree!  :D 

My Mom thought it would be a good idea for her to contact the college she went to in order to see if she could get a REFUND of her tuition.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, most boxed pancake mixes I'M familiar with also have instructions for waffle batter. Actually, it just gets down to making it thicker than for pancakes.  

And SANS' thing reminds me of something that actually happened....

My Mother had told me some years back that she had heard from the daughter of a woman who when I was a kid was one of her best friends.  That daughter and I were playmates up until I was 10 or 11.  Anyway....

This daughter asked my Mother if she had a recipe for some kind of confection( some cake of some kind) and my Mom said "yes" and offered to recite it over the phone.  But the girl said she didn't have the time and suggested my Mom write it down and mail it to her.  So she did.  And a few weeks later that person called her back complaining that it turned out badly. She asked her then to go over the recipe and shortly the problem was discovered.

The directions Mom wrote called for the usual stuff...  written as; 1C flour...... 2tsp. this. 1 Tbsp. that....  but the snag came when it called for 1 1/2 C of something or other...  And the friend's daughter took it to mean ONE HALF CUP of the ingredient!  :rolleyes:  And this girl has an engineering degree!  :D 

My Mom thought it would be a good idea for her to contact the college she went to in order to see if she could get a REFUND of her tuition.  ;) 

Sepiatone

To say that it is: one half-cup is correct per some technical formats. The proper way to specify one-and-a-half cups is: 1.5 Cups.  Stipulating the number of 1/2 Cups required adheres to a standard because there can be instances where 1/2 Cup would be needed for one part and a new 1/2 Cup would be needed for a different part and so the total needed is 2 1/2 Cups. It was incorrect to apply strict engineering principles to cooking but that type of mistake is common.

It is a common joke that a woman tells her husband to go to the store for a gallon of milk and that he should check to see if they have eggs and that he should get a dozen if they do. He comes home with a dozen gallons of milk because the store did have eggs. This is strict programming logic. 

I remember an old story of a woman who could not cook when she married. The couple ate many burned and odd-tasting meals as she learned but she persevered and soon became reasonably competent.  Her bane was soft-boiled eggs. She knew that her husband liked them very much for breakfast but that was one thing which she could not master. Her husband was surprised one morning when she was not in bed when he awoke. He found her crying in the kitchen. She had gotten out of bed in the middle of the night so she could finally get the eggs right and surprise him but the eggs would not become soft even when she boiled them for hours! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1