Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Allhallowsday

NOW THEN LATER

Cute.  But my girl GRACIE ALLEN addressed that this morning.

She wanted to hire a housekeeper to take care of the house and George while she visited her Mother.  The housekeeper asked what the husband liked for breakfast and Gracie replied,  "He says he likes boiled eggs and grapefruit, but I just give him eggs because it's hard to tell when a grapefruit is boiled all the way through."  :D 

And sorry, but here in the world of non-metric,  most(if not all) cookbooks and recipes will designate measurements thus:

1 1/2 C will mean one and one half cups------ for example...

This recipe for sugar cookies  of just the ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cup shortening (or butter*)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Sometimes the word "cups" (as in this case) will be used, but generally(and in the cookbooks I have) the capital letter "C" will be used.  For either one cup, or more (1 1/2 C)  Anyone with more than half a brain(1/2 B  ;) ) would quickly surmise that if the recipe called for ONLY one half cup, it would read, "1/2 C".  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:45 AM, Sepiatone said:

Sometimes the word "cups" (as in this case) will be used, but generally(and in the cookbooks I have) the capital letter "C" will be used.  For either one cup, or more (1 1/2 C)  Anyone with more than half a brain(1/2 B  ;) ) would quickly surmise that if the recipe called for ONLY one half cup, it would read, "1/2 C".  :)

It is obviously inappropriate to apply Engineering formats and standards to non-technical issues but I understand such lapses. It is a little like when a newly-minted PhD reacts when someone requests a doctor. It needs some time and experience for it to become second-nature to not react because you are not the type of doctor which is most likely needed in an emergency.

I find that hard to believe that any professional technical occupation would require anyone to not think while performing duties of their profession.  However it's my opinion(based on personal experience) that this seems to be the "norm" in the medical profession for the last decade or so. 

However, my not being an engineer I can't address the propensity of engineers to think or not think in the course of their endeavors.  But too, given the recent decade or so of frequent automobile recalls due to faulty engineering, I can conclude that not thinking is prerequisite to finding gainful employment in that field.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I find that hard to believe that any professional technical occupation would require anyone to not think while performing duties of their profession.  However it's my opinion(based on personal experience) that this seems to be the "norm" in the medical profession for the last decade or so. 

However, my not being an engineer I can't address the propensity of engineers to think or not think in the course of their endeavors.  But too, given the recent decade or so of frequent automobile recalls due to faulty engineering, I can conclude that not thinking is prerequisite to finding gainful employment in that field.  ;) 

Sepiatone

There is the "engineering" part of the job, then there are the "cost benefits" and "company politics", among other things.  By the time an average engineer goes to all the meetings and puts up with all the soap operas, there isn't much time left in the day for any actual engineering.

Once I watched a guy go through with a crap design, because he had to.  Someone higher up in his chain of command had a stupid idea that went way too far, and his carcass was on the line.  His problem became my friend's problem when he inherited this crap project, essentially sweating bullets and polishing an obvious  t u r d  for them.  (Isn't corporate "culture" great?)  Eventually my friend was put on a different project and this incompetent higher-up was let go.

9 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

There is the "engineering" part of the job, then there are the "cost benefits" and "company politics", among other things.  By the time an average engineer goes to all the meetings and puts up with all the soap operas, there isn't much time left in the day for any actual engineering.

Once I watched a guy go through with a crap design, because he had to.  Someone higher up in his chain of command had a stupid idea that went way too far, and his carcass was on the line.  His problem became my friend's problem when he inherited this crap project, essentially sweating bullets and polishing an obvious  t u r d  for them.  (Isn't corporate "culture" great?)  Eventually my friend was put on a different project and this incompetent higher-up was let go.

Let GO?!!!

Now, whatever happened to the ol' Peter Principle, I ask?

(...it was sure as hell still in practice all those years I worked in the airline industry, anyway!)

;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Let GO?!!!

Now, whatever happened to the ol' Peter Principle, I ask?

(...it was sure as hell still in practice all those years I worked in the airline industry, anyway!)

;)

How about the 737-Max.  What next??

17 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

How about the 737-Max.  What next??

Good point and good example, MCOH.

From what I understand, that whole project started with the idea that in order to save money on its fabrication costs, Boeing would take the existing 737 and attempt to modify it to the point well beyond its original design's maximum parameters, and then make whatever compromises it would take to make the thing airworthy at all.

(...however, I was speaking more of the airline industry in a service compacity and not of the equipment used, and of which I would have firsthand experience of watching the ol' Peter Principle in action for the 35 years I worked in that field)

On 6/12/2020 at 10:45 AM, Sepiatone said:

Cute.  But my girl GRACIE ALLEN addressed that this morning.

She wanted to hire a housekeeper to take care of the house and George while she visited her Mother.  The housekeeper asked what the husband liked for breakfast and Gracie replied,  "He says he likes boiled eggs and grapefruit, but I just give him eggs because it's hard to tell when a grapefruit is boiled all the way through."  :D 

(Insurance salesman: ) "You have a lovely house, Ms. Allen, the kids aren't home from school?"
"No, sorry, George and I don't have any children."
"Well, don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a cat or a dog soon enough."
"Aww, no, if George and I have anything, it'll be children."

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Good point and good example, MCOH.

From what I understand, that whole project started with the idea that in order to save money on its fabrication costs, Boeing would take the existing 737 and attempt to modify it to the point well beyond its original design maximum parameters, and then make whatever compromises it would take to make the thing airworthy at all.

(...however, I was speaking more of the airline industry in a service compacity and not of the equipment used, and of which I would have firsthand experience of watching the ol' Peter Principle in action for the 35 years I worked in that field)

Here's the original design.  The jet engines are shaped like a cigar and fit neatly under the wing, as designed.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Boeing%20737-200.jpeg

Now here's the "upgrade".  The engines are shaped more like a can of tuna and won't fit under the wing.  So the whole thing is naturally unbalanced.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Boeing%20737-MAX-in-flight.jpg

They didn't want to redesign and recertify certain parts of the airframe to meet the needs of this different engine (a different landing gear I think).  So it can't fly straight on its own, without flight computers and two small sensors on the front (the second one an option) being operational.  Don't you think a big jet aircraft like that should be capable of flying straight as an arrow, as per mechanical design alone and without any computer assistance??  What frame of mind were they in.  It was crippled out of the gate.

• Like 2

I wish there were some spare parts for a B-1 Bomber so we could have another one.

that schtootz McCain helped kill it.

Tinkering with B-1 bombers at air base in Oklahoma

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I wish there were some spare parts for a B-1 Bomber so we could have another one.

that schtootz McCain helped kill it.

stoops. it wasn't Desert Fox it was Desert Shield.

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

I believe that the concept is to simply accept all aspects and not apply any original thinking because you do not know all of the constraints and conditions which produced those results. A common example is a unit which was specified in all regards in metric except for one bolt hole which was Imperial. The closest metric sizes larger and smaller both seemed more practical for manufacturing. It was only if you had the original DT results would you find that the smaller metric size did not have the proper safety margin for holding power and the next larger metric size was a seedbed for fractures when the body was placed under torsional stress. The difference in size were in thousandth-of-an-inch increments but they were significant in the application. The original design adhered to the most primal of Engineering dogmas of "it won't quite fail."  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

My father, an employee of North American Aviation (which would become North American Rockwell and then later Rockwell International) from 1948-1980 at their El Segundo CA plant (and retiring at age 60 of that year),  worked as a planning engineer on the B-1, Nip.

(...I still remember in the mid-'70s driving out with him to Edwards AFB in the Palmdale area and watching this plane being rolled out of the hanger for its first public and press unveiling)

19 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe that the concept is to simply accept all aspects and not apply any original thinking because you do not know all of the constraints and conditions which produced those results. A common example is a unit which was specified in all regards in metric except for one bolt hole which was Imperial. The closest metric sizes larger and smaller both seemed more practical for manufacturing. It was only if you had the original DT results would you find that the smaller metric size did not have the proper safety margin for holding power and the next larger metric size was a seedbed for fractures when the body was placed under torsional stress. The difference in size were in thousandth-of-an-inch increments but they were significant in the application. The original design adhered to the most primal of Engineering dogmas of "it won't quite fail."  

Still doesn't explain the fact of a 30 something woman with an engineering degree fudging up a simple cake recipe. And going through the same public school system I did, she must have taken "Home Economics" in high school as it was mandatory.  I knew a few girls who tried to get out of it and it was no dice.  

Anyway....

I always try to have a bit of fun when that stuff pops up in the most unlikely or unnecessary places, like Burger King.

One day I went there to get a Whopper, which my wife and I would usually split.  So, as I usually did, I ordered,  "One Whopper, cut in half...."(etc.) and the kid taking orders came back with the review....,  "That's a Whopper .5, and....."    At that point I cut him off, and said I just wanted a Whopper cut into 2 halves.  HE claimed that was what he said, but I told him "the Whopper point 5 you said makes it(to me) sound like you're gonna give me a Whopper and a HALF!"  ;)  We did get it straightened out though,  I got my Whopper cut in half and my smart-azz laugh for the day.  :D  Another time, later and at the same BK, I asked for a small diet coke with my order.  The kid at the speaker informed me, "We don't sell small sizes anymore."  When I asked for clarity, he said, "We only have medium, large and extra large."  This sounded dumb to me, so I asked, Well then, is MEDIUM the SMALLEST drink size you sell?"  and he replied, "Yes, it is."

So I said, "Then gimme me a small diet coke, ****!"  ;) 

Sepiatone

I'm sorry. but when I come across something that opens a door for me I tend to take advantage.

Like when my ex and I took the kids to a movie one night, and we stopped at the concession stand before heading to the seats, I ordered a medium cup of popcorn for the girls, and asked the counter girl if she had an extra cup or something so I could put some of the popcorn from the one I ordered in it because it was intended that they share the popcorn, and I didn't want them fighting over who gets to hold the cup.  So if I had another container to put some corn in it would avoid the problem.(anyone here with kids can relate).  The girl said she couldn't give me another cup because they determine how much popcorn was sold by the number of cups that were used.  My smart-azz saw the opening!  ;)

"So, you're saying basically that you're selling the CUP, and not the popcorn?"  She giggled and said, "Yeah, basically, that's what it seems like."  So, then I asked, "Well then, like could I bring in my OWN cup, and have you fill it with popcorn for FREE?"  ;) She said she couldn't do that.  I countered with, "Who's gonna know?  You just count YOUR cups to determine the popcorn sales, right? " :D She looked flustered so I said, "Look.  Anything you have that I can put some popcorn in so the kids can share it without causing a scene will be fine."  So she reached under the counter and came up with one of those cardboard treat and drink carriers that was the perfect size for splitting the girl's popcorn equally..  I smiled and apologized for giving her a hard time.  She laughed and said.  "That's OK.  I might try that bring your own cup thing for when my FRIENDS come in here."  I told her, "I'd be PROUD of you if you did!"  :D 

I don't know if she ever had or not. :) 

Sepiatone