Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

‘Cops’ Canceled By Paramount Network


Recommended Posts

‘Cops’ Canceled By Paramount Network

Cops‘ six-year run on Paramount Network and its predecessor has come to an end. Pulled last week in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death, the series will not be coming back.

“Cops is not on the Paramount Network and we don’t have any current or future plans for it to return,” a Paramount Network spokesperson said in a statement to Deadline.

The long-running Cops premiered on Fox in 1989 and aired for 25 seasons. The show was resurrected in 2013 when Spike TV ordered new episodes. Spike TV rebranded as Paramount Network in 2018, with the docuseries carried over to the new network.

Cops, whose 33rd season was slated to premiere yesterday, has been off the air since June 1 when it was pulled with no plans to run any additional episodes. Paramount Network has been moving away from all unscripted programming.

A&E on June 5 pulled last weekend’s episodes of its hit docuseries Live PD amid continued nationwide protests over Floyd’s death. The network still is evaluating the right time to bring it back, though a return this weekend appears unlikely at the moment.

*********************************************************

So much for the days when children wanted to be policemen or firemen, now they have to do something PC like a social worker or even become a "reluctant" criminal.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cinecrazydc said:

Whoppi is pushing back on censorship of "Gone with the Wind" and "COPS."    I seldom if ever agree with Whoppi, but this time I cut her some slack - Censorship that is being talked about now is WRONG !!

https://www.foxnews.com/media/whoopi-goldberg-gone-wind-cops

 

This isn't censorship;  It capitalism.    I.e.  private companies making marketing decisions based on their view of the market-place and potential customers.

Censorship is when the government decides what content can be shown or not.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This isn't censorship;  It capitalism.    I.e.  private companies making marketing decisions based on their view of the market-place and potential customers.

Censorship is when the government decides what content can be shown or not.

 

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

 

You are correct insofar as government action is required for "censorship."    I was merely using the language found in the article.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cinecrazydc said:

 

You are correct insofar as government action is required for "censorship."    I was merely using the language found in the article.    

Well I shouldn't have implied that there is only one use of the term 'censorship';    I.e. a lot of folks view any type of suppression of works as censorship regardless of WHO is doing the censoring.      Thus in the other thread I'm using the terms self-imposed censorship;   i.e. when a private company decides (by themselves),  to censor given works. 

Anyhow,  my overall point is that due to the nature of the market-place ,   there are always ways to get around self-imposed censorship;  e.g.   find another company that offer the product.      Of course there are limits especially when it comes to film and music since the 'rights' are owned by a single company;   E.g.  the owner of GWTW could destroy all copies they had,  no longer sell any,  and prevent anyone with an existing copy from broadcasting \ displaying it for any NON private use.     

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 5:56 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well I shouldn't have implied that there is only one use of the term 'censorship';    I.e. a lot of folks view any type of suppression of works as censorship regardless of WHO is doing the censoring.      Thus in the other thread I'm using the terms self-imposed censorship;   i.e. when a private company decides (by themselves),  to censor given works. 

Anyhow,  my overall point is that due to the nature of the market-place ,   there are always ways to get around self-imposed censorship;  e.g.   find another company that offer the product.      Of course there are limits especially when it comes to film and music since the 'rights' are owned by a single company;   E.g.  the owner of GWTW could destroy all copies they had,  no longer sell any,  and prevent anyone with an existing copy from broadcasting \ displaying it for any NON private use.     

 

I think Turner is the owner of GWTW - that was Ted's first acquisition back in 1994.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Cops" is still on WGN Directv channel 307, watching as I type this 

2:00 and 2:30 am EST

 

 

Also on our local CW - WQCW channel 6-1 and Directv30 at 2:30 am

256x256.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 7:05 PM, cinecrazydc said:

I think Turner is the owner of GWTW - that was Ted's first acquisition back in 1994.

It is my understanding Turner gave up those rights (as well as the rights to all the films he had purchased) many years ago.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...