Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

just saw where HBO has dropped GWTW from it's streaming platform.

"now don't you go and try and spare my feelings.

you really don't like me, mammy."

Gone With The Wind 13 Wilkes online movie film

Thank goodness. This should have happened quite a few years ago. We've had political correctness movements since the mid-1990s.

• Confused 1

What? You mean that you're not upset that new Looney Tunes cartoons for HBO Max won't show Elmer Fudd with a gun?

See the source image

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thank goodness. This should have happened quite a few years ago. We've had political correctness movements since the mid-1990s.

You must be kidding TB.  I don't want to see my classic films "reimagined" or erased from history for any reason. In "The Best of Everything" you have the story of a bunch of Ivy League college graduate women starting out....in the steno pool???? As a woman I demand this never be shown again! No I don't. That was what life was like in 1959 and it is good to have such films around to remind us of how things were. 

• Thanks 2

From what I read, the disappearance is only temporary.  From the second paragraph of the NY Times article:

The streaming service pledged to eventually bring the film back “with a discussion of its historical context” while denouncing its racial missteps, a spokesperson said in a statement on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/business/media/gone-with-the-wind-hbo-max.html

The CNN article sewhite2000 cited above has the same content.

36 minutes ago, jakeem said:

What? You mean that you're not upset that new Looney Tunes cartoons for HBO Max won't show Elmer Fudd with a gun?

See the source image

2cd6cad118569e7a41d9b9919425ed97.gif

3 minutes ago, hamradio said:

2cd6cad118569e7a41d9b9919425ed97.gif

And I suppose we won't see any new versions of this on HBO Max:

See the source image

• Haha 1

Attention HBO...

mNS0465_7090121c-2e0c-423f-9aac-eacb2ac4

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are now two threads running on the exact same topic. Jakeem has made the exact same Elmer Fudd post in both of them.

3 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

You must be kidding TB.  I don't want to see my classic films "reimagined" or erased from history for any reason. In "The Best of Everything" you have the story of a bunch of Ivy League college graduate women starting out....in the steno pool???? As a woman I demand this never be shown again! No I don't. That was what life was like in 1959 and it is good to have such films around to remind us of how things were. 

This exceeds censorship. This becomes a case of Hollywood's need for self-imposed censorship on films that enflame and do nothing more than present warped/distorted views of so-called American "history." This is not my America in GONE WITH THE WIND, this is not my history, and this is not any type of entertainment that makes me or my friends comfortable. I want it gone, wiped out.

I am so grateful to HBO for having the guts to finally push it out the door.

3 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

To me your being way-over-the-top;     what is going on here is NOT a film being 'erased from history',  but ONE private company that has decided to NOT shown certain films unless there is some type of '“with a discussion of its historical context”.

This isn't the government mandating that such a discussion must ALWAYS take place before a film is shown.       Shouldn't this private company be given the freedom to present the film the way they wish?   AND if the majority of private companies decide to do the same that is the market-place speaking;    i.e. supply and demand,  which to many is the ultimate  American value.

PS:  For the record I prefer to NOT be subject to such a 'historical context' discussion (especially more than once!),   AND I hope that TCM does NOT go this way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

...GONE WITH THE WIND, this is not my history, and this is not any type of entertainment...

I think there's a lot to like about GWTW (VIVIEN LEIGH) but that's one movie I was never a fan of... TCM shows it WAY too much anyway!  The times continue to change. 

• Thanks 1

@Nipkow:  That just leaves more of an opportunity for HBO Max to air HOT SPELL!  I suggest you bombard them with e-mails requesting the immediate purchase of the rights to air HAWT SPEL! 

This is something that cannot *wait* -- it MUST be done now!  To strike while the iron's hot!  :)

HOT SPELL on HBO Max 24/7.  :D

8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

just saw where HBO has dropped GWTW from it's streaming platform.

About time, too!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

One of the few things I hate as much as censorship is political correctness. Who is to say what should and should not be shown ? I don't remember any election where we vote for the content police. Its entirely a business decision, which is their right. But, I'd rather live in a world where it all is available. Let the adults make their own mature decision.

My late father was in favor of showing this type of content. He grew up in Georgia during the days that film was released. He wants people to see clearly how things were in those days. What people had to overcome. What they had to put up with.

Like the old saying "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it". When you hide and deny historical facts, you open the door for them to be repeated.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

One of the few things I hate as much as censorship is political correctness. Who is to say what should and should not be shown ? I don't remember any election where we vote for the content police. Its entirely a business decision, which is their right. But, I'd rather live in a world where it all is available. Let the adults make their own mature decision.

My late father was in favor of showing this type of content. He grew up in Georgia during the days that film was released. He wants people to see clearly how things were in those days. What people had to overcome. What they had to put up with.

Like the old saying "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it". When you hide and deny historical facts, you open the door for them to be repeated.

Gerald,

There was a sidebar discussion earlier in one of these threads between Dargo and James where James told Dargo that his comments could be construed as supporting conservative biases. Something like that. And I think that what you wrote above, well intentioned that it might be, could easily be taken out of context and "liked" by conservatives on the board reading it. In other words, you are playing right into their hands. They want you to say "show the film!" so they can have their own prejudices continually reflected on screen because that makes them think their prejudices are still okay since they are still in evidence.

I really believe that the only solution to racism is the extinction of racism not preserving it to teach. Nothing can be taught and learned from it except ongoing hatred. Neo-Nazi skinheads know this and that is why they continually reference Hitler. It becomes anthemic to them.

We don't need to see racism or be reminded of racism to understand it. We shouldn't even have to understand racism. It's like understanding cancer. Why do we want to understand cancer? We want to get rid of cancer.

We don't need to know what we overcame. All we need to know is what positive and constructive building of society we now have and how we can maintain and build on it. Use our energies for the plus column to increase the plus column. Delete the negative column entirely. That takes power and "purpose" away from the white conservative racist bigots. They end up having to reinvent themselves if they are going to continue in society. That's what we want, to make their old ways extinct and prod them into new ways or else they don't survive.

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

There are now two threads running on the exact same topic. Jakeem has made the exact same Elmer Fudd post in both of them.

he would.

:D

actually I am not a big fan of GWTW but it is very popular with women and some of those women are liberals.

so another brilliantly smart move by the left.

:)

"now don't you deny it, mammy.

you really don't like me, do you?"

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Gerald,

There was a sidebar discussion earlier in one of these threads between Dargo and James where James told Dargo that his comments could be construed as supporting conservative biases. Something like that. And I think that what you wrote above, well intentioned that it might be, could easily be taken out of context and "liked" by conservatives on the board reading it. In other words, you are playing right into their hands. They want you to say "show the film!" so they can have their own prejudices continually reflected on screen because that makes them think their prejudices are still okay since they are still in evidence.

I really believe that the only solution to racism is the extinction of racism not preserving it to teach. Nothing can be taught and learned from it except ongoing hatred. Neo-Nazi skinheads know this and that is why they continually reference Hitler. It becomes anthemic to them.

We don't need to see racism or be reminded of racism to understand it. We shouldn't even have to understand racism. It's like understanding cancer. Why do we want to understand cancer? We want to get rid of cancer.

We don't need to know what we overcame. All we need to know is what positive and constructive building of society we now have and how we can maintain and build on it. Use our energies for the plus column to increase the plus column. Delete the negative column entirely. That takes power and "purpose" away from the white conservative racist bigots. They end up having to reinvent themselves if they are going to continue in society. That's what we want, to make their old ways extinct and prod them into new ways or else they don't survive.

You do realize approximately half of America is conservative ? They do have rights, just like you and I do.

I can't be concerned who takes "things out of context". People have taken the U.S. constitution out of context, the holy bible out of context. People will always see what they want to see. Some will see GWTW as racist, and some will see it as great cinema.

As a black man, I see racism in places most wouldn't ever realize was an issue. Banning a movie won't do anything about racism when people are so full of hatred for many reasons. Reasons that go well beyond the scope of this website/channel. Go to any social media and you'll see so much hatred over one word, or some sentence taken out of context.

People are looking for reasons to hate. First the virus, then the brutality, then the politicians, now its statues. Next it will be old movies.

What the virus, the net, all these things have done is keep us all separated from each other. That's the real problem. When the only time you see certain people is on TV or in the news, your opinion is going to be swayed by the medium. But, when you socialize with people day to day, you see they are human just like you are. Live life, pay bills, raise families all the same. We have much more in common than we realize.

Yet, politicians, news, and other media work to split us apart for profits. Red vs. Blue, liberal vs. conservative, American vs. immigrant, Christian vs. Non Christian, etc...  And they preach that we should fear the other side in an effort to gain loyalty.

So now we walk around in all looking like bandits in masks, unable to really talk to each other. Told to keep our distance from each other. Fighting each other for that last roll of paper towels. This does not lead to a healthy, happy society.

We have a lot more to worry about than a 80 year old film. All that does it divert attention from the real problems we are facing day to day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

actually I am not a big fan of GWTW but it is very popular with women and some of those women are liberals.

so another brilliantly smart move by the left.

That's why they run this country.

Here's an example:

Years ago, one of the networks produced a mini series on hitler. They couldn't find one sponsor for it.

I doubt they bother showing it again.

30 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

That's why they run this country.

Whichever side you're on, you're made to believe the other side runs things. That's exactly what they media wants you to think.

2 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Here's an example:

Years ago, one of the networks produced a mini series on hitler. They couldn't find one sponsor for it.

I doubt they bother showing it again.

Maybe it wasn't any good.

2 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Whichever side you're on, you're made to believe the other side runs things. That's exactly what they media wants you to think.

That's why they run the country.

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

As a black man, I see racism in places most wouldn't ever realize was an issue. Banning a movie won't do anything about racism when people are so full of hatred for many reasons. Reasons that go well beyond the scope of this website/channel. Go to any social media and you'll see so much hatred over one word, or some sentence taken out of context.

People are looking for reasons to hate. First the virus, then the brutality, then the politicians, now its statues. Next it will be old movies.

I believe that this would be funny if it were sadly not so very true of today's world:

TTXB6kn.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2