Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JeanneCrain

Gone with the Wind…GONE!

HBO Max removes classic “Gone with the Wind” due to its “Racist Depictions” as the dismantling of America’s history continues with the beheading of Christopher Columbus in Boston. :o

BB15hPOW.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

• Confused 1

You forgot Elmer Fudd's  gun.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's why it is good to have physical media. I have the Gone With the Wind Museum  in a Box  DVD collection that WB put out in ... 2009?  Oh, and Han Solo  shot FIRST! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ya gotta wonder....

What did CHRIS have to do with anything,and WHY is there a bust of him in Boston? 

14 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

HBO Max removes classic “Gone with the Wind” due to its “Racist Depictions” as the dismantling of America’s history continues with the beheading of Christopher Columbus in Boston. :o

BB15hPOW.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Big deal, there are no other channels beside a PC premium which shows GWTW?

• Like 1

From what I read, the disappearance is only temporary.  From the second paragraph of the NY Times article:

The streaming service pledged to eventually bring the film back “with a discussion of its historical context” while denouncing its racial missteps, a spokesperson said in a statement on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/business/media/gone-with-the-wind-hbo-max.html

9 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Ya gotta wonder....

What did CHRIS have to do with anything,and WHY is there a bust of him in Boston? 

Seems Columbus did took a knee to something.

Abbott-COLUMBUS.jpg

• Haha 3

What is going on here is capitalism,  which to many is the #1 American value.

• Like 1

I have the dvd of the movie.....anyone tries to take that away from me is going to have a fight on their hands!

• Haha 2

You can have my GWTW DVD, once you PRY IT FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!

• Haha 5

45 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What is going on here is capitalism,  which to many is the #1 American value.

Yep, and perhaps even more so, what we got here is failure to...educate.

(...and primarily in the sense of another old saying: "A little bit of learning is a dangerous thing")

Hattie McDaniel was born 127 years ago today.

A black actress had to do what she had to do to stay employed in Hollywood in those days and, in the process, she brought warmth, humour and wisdom to her stereotyped role in this film.

"I'd rather play a maid than be a maid."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, TomJH said:

A black actress had to do what she had to do to stay employed in Hollywood in those days and, in the process, she brought warmth, humour and wisdom to her stereotyped role in this film.

Hattie McDaniel and Clark Gable were friends on and off the set. I couldn't help but notice the on-screen charisma  that they had in several movies before "Gone with the Wind".

In Hollywood Hattie was famous for her Sunday morning brunches. And Clark Gable was often an honored guest.

You can go on YouTube and see her fabulous mansion which is still standing.

I believe she and some other black performers had to file a lawsuit to get into this neighborhood. And even today it's something to look at.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yep, and perhaps even more so, what we got here is failure to...educate.

(...and primarily in the sense of another old saying: "A little bit of learning is a dangerous thing")

Well it depends who needs to be educated and what that education would entail.   

E.g.   I fully understand why someone would NOT desire to be 'educated' as it relates to the racist and unrealistic parts of a film like Gone With the Wind.     Various sound reasons would be:

• They already know about that and it is an insult to others to assume otherwise
  • They just want to watch a movie.     
  • They don't see how discussing a film using the lens-of-today adds anything to the viewing experience.    

Then there is another type of  "education" based on what I find to be an unfounded fear:   that  due to the PC cancel culture movies,  music, and other works will be 'removed' from the culture.     I.e. the fear that leads to misguided threads like this one being created in a public chat room.     

PS:  There is also educating people on the difference between censorship and the concepts of capitalism (supply and demand,  marketing,   retaining a consumer base etc..).

PS #2:  There is also the education of people that are offended that it isn't the job of private companies like HBO to educate the masses and especially their own children US History as part of marketing a product.

31 minutes ago, TomJH said:

After her acceptance speech, she likely returned to her seat at the back of the Cocoanut Grove nightclub at The Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles. She wasn't allowed to sit at the table reserved for the other "Gone With the Wind" notables.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I have the dvd of the movie.....anyone tries to take that away from me is going to have a fight on their hands!

I say the same thing about my Fred Astaire DVDs.

But I think if you buy something and you own it oh, I don't think anyone's going to try and take it from you. 

Although someone might try and break into your house and take something really valuable, but I doubt that would be your gwtw DVD. LMREO

• Like 1

Just now, jakeem said:

After her acceptance speech, she likely returned to her seat at the back of the Cocoanut Grove nightclub at The Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles. She wasn't allowed to sit at the table reserved for the other "Gone With the Wind" notables.

Well it gets better than that. She wasn't allowed to go to the big Premiere in Atlanta for "Gone with the Wind." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

Well it gets better than that. She wasn't allowed to go to the big Premiere in Atlanta for "Gone with the Wind." 

Yeah, but I just found out that a noteworthy African American was there -- at least for a while.

According to a Final Jeopardy! answer the other day: "10-year-old Martin Luther King, Jr. sang with his church's choir at the celebrated premiere of this film."

See the source image

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Instigator of centuries-long oppression and near destruction of an entire race of people and therefore deemed by some to be as poor a choice to be honored by statue as any Confederate general.

As for why in Boston, can't answer that one.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

HBO Max removes classic “Gone with the Wind” due to its “Racist Depictions” as the dismantling of America’s history continues with the beheading of Christopher Columbus in Boston. 

No need to put racist depictions in quotes, since the film DOES have many racist depictions.

Dismantling of America's racist history and prejudicial attitudes? Yes please.

White racists in America are now an endangered species. And hopefully within five years they will be an extinct species.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Thank you Princess.

Fortunately TCM is a liberal-minded channel and if they air GONE WITH THE WIND ever again, it will be done with a black commentator and for educational purposes. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Instigator of centuries-long oppression and near destruction of an entire race of people and therefore deemed by some to be as poor a choice to be honored by statue as any Confederate general.

As for why in Boston, can't answer that one.

I think I know why, sewhite.

It was because I understand Christopher Columbus was ALSO known for his inability to pronounce the letter 'r'.

(...and so naturally the Bostonians would cling him to their collective bosoms over time)

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well it depends who needs to be educated and what that education would entail.   

E.g.   I fully understand why someone would NOT desire to be 'educated' as it relates to the racist and unrealistic parts of a film like Gone With the Wind.     Various sound reasons would be:

• They already know about that and it is an insult to others to assume otherwise
  • They just want to watch a movie.     
  • They don't see how discussing a film using the lens-of-today adds anything to the viewing experience.    

Then there is another type of  "education" based on what I find to be an unfounded fear:   that  due to the PC cancel culture movies,  music, and other works will be 'removed' from the culture.     I.e. the fear that leads to misguided threads like this one being created in a public chat room.     

PS:  There is also educating people on the difference between censorship and the concepts of capitalism (supply and demand,  marketing,   retaining a consumer base etc..).

PS #2:  There is also the education of people that are offended that it isn't the job of private companies like HBO to educate the masses and especially their own children US History as part of marketing a product.

And so to summarize all this up here James, I THINK you weren't pretty much sayin' that ol' saw: "Don't get your History from Hollywood movies", RIGHT?!

(...uh-huh, and which is EXACTLY the bottom line "lesson" that every freakin' person SHOULD learn on day one of class, and so then MAYBE there'd be a whole less people who would get their freakin' nose out o' joint when they watch somethin' that might "OFFEND" them!!!)

22 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And so to summarize all this up here James, I THINK you weren't pretty much sayin' that ol' saw: "Don't get your History from Hollywood movies", RIGHT?!

(...uh-huh, and which is EXACTLY the bottom line "lesson" that every freakin' person SHOULD learn on day one of class, and so then MAYBE there'd be a whole less people who would get their freakin' nose out o' joint when they watch somethin' that might "OFFEND" them!!!)

So you disagree with the activist that are pushing content owners to NOT lease their works UNLESS they are shown along with some historical-educational programming.     E.g. John Ridley,  director, screenwriter and novelist who won an Oscar for "12 Years a Slave"   -  he considered calling for canceling one's HBO subscription until HBO changed their policy (today's L.A. Times editorial which was written before HBO's latest announcement).

I.e. it is the activist that need to be educated.      Hey,  I agree with this but politically you do understand that we are siding with the conservative \ right wing POV here.      From the POV of the activist,  we are part of the problem (especially TODAY, after what happened two weeks ago).

• Like 1