Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gone with the Wind…GONE!

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

In 1885, Concord Public Library banned the book, attacking the novel as "absolutely immoral in its tone.” One library official noted that "all through its pages there is a systematic use of bad grammar and an employment of inelegant expressions.”

Mark Twain, for his part, loved the controversy for the publicity it would generate. As he wrote to Charles Webster on March 18, 1885: "The Committee of the Public Library of Concord, Mass., have given us a rattling tip-top puff which will go into every paper in the country. They have expelled Huck from their library as 'trash and suitable only for the slums.' That will sell 25,000 copies for us sure."

There once was genuine effort in American schools to teach "proper English".  The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn had long been a target for what later came to be called "grammar Nazis". 

"UH," If the only 2 examples you offer were in 1885 and 1902 you are not making a valid point.  This could become an accepted trend not just in Atlanta, but across the country. Rewriting history will happen in textbooks ( internet) and in the classroom Censorship is wrong and for TCM to go along with removing films is a terrible idea. 

17 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The statue is in the North End, that's Boston's equivalent to Little Italy, that's why

So lavender, you're tellin' me it had NOTHIN' to do with Chris Columbus sounding like a Bostonian when he talked???

(...well, that's not what I saw when I watched that Hollywood movie titled "Columbus: The first European to land on the island of Cuber")

I think the best way to combat books being removed from school libarary shelves is for teachers to simply not instruct students on how to read.  This makes it easy!  You won't miss what you can't understand!  (Or something . . . ).  

• Haha 3
9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  the Food Network just had a show about a new Italian restaurant that opened in the area;     I.e. it started with the chef host asking the new owner;  you do know that you are now competing with over 50 other Italian restaurants in this area!     At first the new owner said: I'm not going to serve meatballs since they all do that;   weeks later she added meatballs,  because when most folks come to the North End,,  they expect meatballs!

I don't need the Food Network to tell me about the North End LOL I've eaten in many restaurants in the North End and many are a lot more upscale and serve more authentic Italian dishes than meatballs. Of course the cannolis are great too LOL

2 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

I am drawn to hate, violence and injustice – that’s why I watch TCM.

👅

Yea,  I'm a big fan of Noir Alley and Eddie!

(what,,,,, that isn't your point?).      Anyhow,  I agree with you;  it is wrong to assume the reasons others are drawn to certain movies, music, works of art, etc...

• Like 1

You say you don't wanna watch GONE WITH THE WIND due to its length and/or certain aspects of its subject matter?  OK. 

Here's an alternative:

LOVE'S SAVAGE FURY (1979-Tvm)  Runs 1 hr 40 mins.  A made-for-television rip-off of GWTW on a 'budget' without the extreme length and other plot elements of the '39 movie.  Jennifer O'Neill is a Southern belle.  Also stars Perry King, Robert Reed, Connie Stevens and Raymond Burr. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The above is why I called self-imposed censorship,  capitalism.   

Well, all I can say here is that there's a certain "capitalist" I know of who'd I give my eyeteeth if only HE'D learn how to start usin' a little of that "self-imposed censorship" thing!

LOL

(...and coincidentally, the guy I'm thinkin' of here appears to be REALLY lousy when it comes to the subject History TOO...and Geography...and....)

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

You say you don't wanna watch GONE WITH THE WIND due to its length and/or certain aspects of its subject matter?  OK. 

Here's an alternative:

LOVE'S SAVAGE FURY (1979-Tvm)  Runs 1 hr 40 mins.  A made-for-television rip-off of GWTW on a 'budget' without the extreme length and other plot elements of the '39 movie.  Jennifer O'Neill is a Southern belle.  Also stars Perry King, Robert Reed, Connie Stevens and Raymond Burr. 

Cheers!

Ooooh, Jennifer O'Neill...niiiiice.

Did I ever tell ya about the time I came THIS close to a date with that gorgeous but evidently very troubled lady?

(...oh, I did huh?...never mind then)

• Haha 1

Top Billed, I think years ago  you wanted TCM to show Song of the South. change your mind?  If you don't want to watch GWTW,  it makes you uncomfortable, then don't.  Change the channel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Bad week for racist bastard Columbus. 

I was reading about the beheading of CC in Boston. Beheading seems an appropriate action. What is

somewhat surprising is that that statue dates from 1979, long after the bad side of Columbus was

known. And they still put up a statue to him. Not sure why it was done. Now if Columbus had been

Irish I could see it. 

You're only partially correct. the statue was beheaded once before. They found his head and put him back together again. Italians are proud of Columbus, there have been parades on Columbus Day, Didn't you watch that episode on The Sopranos LOL

HBO Max is late to the streaming party and will probably be a failure. They're already giving it away like a loss leader to customers of their other services. They'll do anything to get publicity at this point. To me, its a bit pitiful.

5 hours ago, TomJH said:

Hattie McDaniel was born 127 years ago today.

A black actress had to do what she had to do to stay employed in Hollywood in those days and, in the process, she brought warmth, humour and wisdom to her stereotyped role in this film.

"I'd rather play a maid than be a maid."

Apparently, this event never happened.

• Like 1

@Dargo:  Did I tell you about the time I sent 'Jennifer O'Neill Ministries' a legit VHS release of The Carey Treatment (1972)?  This would've been in 2009 or 2010 because 'Carey' didn't come out on DVD in the U.S. until 2011 on a remastered disc.  Prior to that, the only video release in the world of "The Carey Treatment" was on an MGM/UK VHS released in 1982.  I had picked up several UK PAL tapes of this release and had a spare.  So I contacted her website and actually received a reply.  I then got an address and mailed off one of my 10 copies of CAREY. 

Note that I've been down to 5 copies for years now.  I sent one to JON Ministries, I binned a couple others that developed mould and sent a couple other tapes off to fellow video collectors.  That left me with the five original MGM/UK tapes of 'Carey' I have now. 

So do you believe me?  cHEERs.  :)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

HBO Max removes classic “Gone with the Wind” due to its “Racist Depictions” as the dismantling of America’s history continues with the beheading of Christopher Columbus in Boston. :o

The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!

19 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@Dargo:  Did I tell you about the time I sent 'Jennifer O'Neill Ministries' a legit VHS release of The Carey Treatment (1972)?  This would've been in 2009 or 2010 because 'Carey' didn't come out on DVD in the U.S. until 2011 on a remastered disc.  Prior to that, the only video release in the world of "The Carey Treatment" was on an MGM/UK VHS released in 1982.  I had picked up several UK PAL tapes of this release and had a spare.  So I contacted her website and actually received a reply.  I then got an address and mailed off one of my 10 copies of CAREY. 

Note that I've been down to 5 copies for years now.  I sent one to JON Ministries, I binned a couple others that developed mould and sent a couple other tapes off to fellow video collectors.  That left me with the five original MGM/UK tapes of 'Carey' I have now. 

So do you believe me?  cHEERs.  :)

Yeah, actually I do believe you here, Mr.G.

And primarily because and as I mentioned above, it was fairly well-known that Jennifer was a very troubled lady. I think she has somethin' like nine marriages under her belt, and that right THERE speaks to this, I'd say. And so, as what very often happens, people who ARE troubled will find religion to help set their troubled lives in order. And, I had heard she had started up her own ministry at one time, also.

(...and so when you mentioned her "ministries" here......)

• Like 1

@Dargo:  It is true.  Because CAREY never came out on video in the U.S. -- and, of course, I had no idea at the time when or if THE CAREY TREATMENT would ever have a legal homevideo release on ♦any♦ format -- so I contacted via e-mail her ministry's website.  I had a book of hers that she wrote which is what gave me the idea to funnel a message to her website.  (Can't remember what the book's title was anymore as I read it so long ago).  

(Note the first time I ever watched THE CAREY TREATMENT was on TCM in 2004).

→ Instead of airing GONE WITH THE WIND why not air the George Patton docu-drama GONE WITH THE OX-CART?   

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Of course, the South has already rewritten history by vehemently insisting the war had nothing to do with slavery. The school history textbooks in my state practically say in 2020 that some aspects of slavery were probably good. These views have been blasted in the media, but the textbooks haven't been altered. Are you upset about people putting their heads in the sand about that between the end of the Civil War and now?

Thank you for illuminating what is still going on.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

I am drawn to hate, violence and injustice – that’s why I watch TCM.

Actually it feels like your threads try to be provocative AND push forward a conservative agenda. Not sure why you can't resist the need to mock hatred, violence and injustice in our society during these turbulent times. It's all very off-putting and immature in my opinion.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@Dargo:  It is true.  Because CAREY never came out on video in the U.S. -- and, of course, I had no idea at the time when or if THE CAREY TREATMENT would ever have a legal homevideo release on ♦any♦ format -- so I contacted via e-mail her ministry's website.  I had a book of hers that she wrote which is what gave me the idea to funnel a message to her website.  (Can't remember what the book's title was anymore as I read it so long ago).  

(Note the first time I ever watched THE CAREY TREATMENT was on TCM in 2004).

→ Instead of airing GONE WITH THE WIND why not air the George Patton docu-drama GONE WITH THE OX-CART?   

Yeah, wasn't that the alternate title for that 1980s TV movie in which George C. Scott reprised his Patton role? ;)

Boy, did THAT sucker drag on and on, as I recall.

(...and as you may know, became the basis for the conspiracy theory book that the now discredited Bill O'Reilly wrote a while back)

• Like 1

@Dargo:  I reckon that was the 1986 TVM called "The Last Days Of Patton" or some such.  Think it ran 150m. 

In regards to Bill O'Reilly, all I recall is that he has written several books over the past 10 years or so, but I don't know the titles. 

ALSO:  There was a 1978 movie called BRASS TARGET with an all-star cast about Gen. Patton, but I've never seen it.  I have a copy of it; just haven't got 'round to watching it.

56 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Top Billed, I think years ago  you wanted TCM to show Song of the South. change your mind? 

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was looking for an image for GWTW on one of my film blogs and I found something I had written on GWTW being re-watchable. Of course, that piece was written a few years ago and I no longer hold that view. Just like I no longer hold the view that SONG OF THE SOUTH should be watched. These films are not needed for us to have valid cinematic experiences. In fact we can have more valid cinematic experiences putting those kinds of films on the junk pile and focusing on stories that instead celebrate diversity and togetherness.

My views in the past were not woke. I was always politically correct and pre-dated the PC movement by doing very PC things in high school and college. But ironically I was not woke until just this past year.

I hope my admission of where I've been and where I am now, in some humble way, inspires others reading this to become more woke.

And I certainly hope TCM's programming department becomes more woke. I would appreciate them avoiding the sexist themes they've been doing recently with the swimsuit movies. And I would thank them in advance to stop airing racially divisive films without warnings. Thank you.

It seemed quite "unwoke" when a certain TCM host made a "joke" that stepped all over an international horror.  TCM needs to understand that "classic" includes historical, first and foremost.   If historic at all, context matters.  TCM still has a ways to go in grappling with the long history of racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia...  they are obviously not responsible for that cinematic legacy; they are gatekeepers. 

• Like 1