Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gone with the Wind…GONE!

To repeat - talk about banning (or temporarily suspending broadcasting) an 80 year old film from TCM because of racist content (and why just that one film?) is much ado about nothing, it seems to me, compared to what street protesters hope to achieve today, especially as to how the issue will play into the upcoming election and whether this may turn out  to be a turning point of some kind for race relations in America and police handling of minorities. Sorry, I realize this is a movie website and all that, but to spend the time to adopt a "woke" stand about GWTW (in THREE !!! different threads yet!) is just so trivial by comparison.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Am I the only one tired of people who constantly wave the word "woke" in your face like it's some kind of flag? We all understand what they mean about an awareness of social injustice, particularly racism, but I find that overuse of the word starts to grate on my nerves after a while. I created a couple of posts earlier in this thread hoping to poke fun at those addicted to the word.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Am I the only one tired of people who constantly wave the word "woke" in your face like it's some kind of flag? We all understand what they mean about an awareness of social injustice, particularly racism, but I find that overuse of the word starts to grate on my nerves after a while. I created a couple of posts earlier in this thread hoping to poke fun at those addicted to the word.

No.

9 hours ago, TomJH said:

Am I the only one tired of people who constantly wave the word "woke" in your face like it's some kind of flag? 

Yes. Going out of one's way to be un-woke is absolutely incredible.

• Sad 1

Deliberately distorting what another poster says is a familiar pathetic tactic for someone who doesn't agree with the poster's comment.

• Like 2
On 6/11/2020 at 2:19 PM, Mr. Gorman said:

Then there's an audio recording of Orson attempting to voice a commercial about frozen peas (!)

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, TomJH said:

Deliberately distorting what another poster says is a familiar pathetic tactic for someone who doesn't agree with the poster's comment.

If anyone should know, would it be you? :) 

On 6/13/2020 at 4:17 AM, Sukhov said:

Well it all depends on what the 'problem' here is;   Based on reading the comments in various threads,  the main challenge is coming to a common understanding of what is the problem (or if there is even a problem to begin with from the perspective of either 'side' here).

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well it all depends on what the 'problem' here is;   Based on reading the comments in various threads,  the main challenge is coming to a common understanding of what is the problem (or if there is even a problem to begin with from the perspective of either 'side' here).

The "problem" is people in the current year who still rely on HBO or whatever to view their movies instead of using their brains and searching where to see them on the internet. If people are clueless enough to rely on HBO and give them money and get this in return then they absolutely deserve not viewing the film.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

The "problem" is people in the current year who still rely on HBO or whatever to view their movies instead of using their brains and searching where to see them on the internet. If people are clueless enough to rely on HBO and give them money and get this in return then they absolutely deserve not viewing the film.

I agree with that and I pointed that out in a prior post when I said that self-imposed censorship by a privately owned content provider is typically easy to get-around;  just find another content provider that is offering the material.

The exception would be when the owner of said material decides to self-censor a given work;   E.g  Disney and Song of the South;    Unless one wishes to view unauthorized (and thus illegal),  versions,   they have no other options.

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is a link to an article by Jacqueline Stewart,  TCM host:   Why we can't turn away from Gone With the Wind.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/opinions/gone-with-the-wind-illuminates-white-supremacy-stewart/index.html

From the article:  "But it is precisely because of the ongoing, painful patterns of racial injustice and disregard for Black lives that "Gone with the Wind" should stay in circulation and remain available for viewing, analysis and discussion." Intro to the article:  "Jacqueline Stewart is the host of "Silent Sunday Nights" on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and a professor in the Department of Cinema and Media Studies at the University of Chicago, where she is Director of the Arts + Public Life. She is the author of "Migrating to the Movies: Cinema and Black Urban Modernity" and co-editor of "L.A. Rebellion: Creating a New Black Cinema." TCM, CNN and HBO Max share the same parent company, WarnerMedia. The views expressed here are hers. Read more opinion on CNN."

• Thanks 1

. will bring GWTW back to its line-up, with an introduction from 's

: "If people are really doing their homework, we may be poised to have our most informed, honest and productive national conversations yet about Black lives on screen and off."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ProfJStewart  says #GoneWithTheWind is both a "prime text for examining expressions of white supremacy” and a "testimony to Black performance” - she elaborates, arguing it needs to stay in circulation

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/opinions/gone-with-the-wind-illuminates-white-supremacy-stewart/index.html

• Confused 1
On 6/10/2020 at 5:31 PM, LsDoorMat said:

Hey, TB, for what it's worth I had to wait until TCM did a festival of sorts to finally get a recording of "Watermelon Man". There was no way that was just going to "show up" on a channel sometime without some kind of commentary wrap-around.  Not being well known, people would probably be offended by it without putting it in context. I don't think I had seen it on TV since the 70s prior to TCM airing it. 

Well, its turned up on Amazon Prime recently with no wrap-around....

On 6/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, jakeem said:

Yeah, but I just found out that a noteworthy African American was there -- at least for a while.

According to a Final Jeopardy! answer the other day: "10-year-old Martin Luther King, Jr. sang with his church's choir at the celebrated premiere of this film."

See the source image

On 6/10/2020 at 2:27 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hattie McDaniel and Clark Gable were friends on and off the set. I couldn't help but notice the on-screen charisma  that they had in several movies before "Gone with the Wind".

In Hollywood Hattie was famous for her Sunday morning brunches. And Clark Gable was often an honored guest.

You can go on YouTube and see her fabulous mansion which is still standing.

I believe she and some other black performers had to file a lawsuit to get into this neighborhood. And even today it's something to look at.

My parents have always liked this film and they still do today. Mainly it was because of Hattie's performance. She's smart,  wise and strong. 

What mainly drew me to like the film was really the relationship Hattie and Clark had as co-stars and friends. (I previously shared my opinion of the film on here WAY before the events that are happening this year.) 

Plus how many people knew Clark Gable was Half Black (and Half Native)?

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Supposedly it was removed 'temporarily.' But that was a month ago. I think their plan is to bring it back with discussion (wraparounds?). 

HBO did say the film was a product of its time, but that it included racial prejudices that are not acceptable now and were not acceptable back then (even though people want to ignore that point).