Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Check in if you think TCM should keep GONE WITH THE WIND off the schedule

There would be more backlash on these boards if they kept the movie off than if they played it. It is her most famous role.

• Like 1

I usually do not post in these type of threads, because they are filled with nonsensical shouting for pages and pages. I know I am late, but I feel the need to post a response. TopBilled is a great contributor to this forum. I disagree with many of his views, but I would never want to see him banned for it. He has every right to continue posting based on his beliefs, as everyone else does. He’s not combative or malicious with his words. 

Gone With the Wind shouldn’t be banned for the same reason that any other film, book, or piece of art should find its place in society. Mein Kampf was written by a madman, but should be freely available for everyone to recognize that. Additionally, if you ban this film, where does it end? Are we living in another pre-code era? Will films that debut in 2021 be forced to undergo strict censorship before they are deemed ready for viewing? Society as a whole, both sides of the debate, need to eschew the need to ban the things that they disagree with. Utilize critical thinking skills to understand right and wrong. There are a number of films that I disagree with and believe depict horrible things, yet I watch them. I am able to recognize that the actions are portrayed and that they are a product of their time. Historical periods are best viewed as alien planets, because it is nearly impossible to understand their world. Someone born in the 19th century could not understand the 8th century and someone born in the 21st would struggle to understand either. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

Gone With the Wind shouldn’t be banned for the same reason that any other film, book, or piece of art should find its place in society. Mein Kampf was written by a madman, but should be freely available for everyone to recognize that. Additionally, if you ban this film, where does it end? Are we living in another pre-code era? 

Mein Kampf is a political manifesto calling for the extermination of people and Gone With the Wind is a movie. Not even comparable. 

• Thanks 1

I think TCM should show any movie it wishes to show, including Gone with the Wind.

As for wraparounds with the showing, have them or don't - either way is fine by me.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

The answer is 'yes'.  TCM has swapped out the Bette Davis Summer Under the Stars schedule on Aug. 23 for a tribute to Olivia de Havilland.  Gone with the Wind is the prime-time leadoff at 8 pm ET.

Thanks. I just saw the Canadian schedule and noticed. I think it will be interesting to see if it does stay on the schedule.

If there's another racially charged news event, I can see it getting pulled.

Wow, the second switch already for SUTS. I need to check out that thread and see what Olivia films they're showing and at what times. Hope it's not too overloaded with the predictable Warner Bros. films and Flynn pairings, though a few of them would be fine.

5 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, the second switch already for SUTS. I need to check out that thread and see what Olivia films they're showing and at what times. Hope it's not too overloaded with the predictable Warner Bros. films and Flynn pairings, though a few of them would be fine.

23rd of august 2020

olivia de havilland...11 films

the male animal (1942)
princess o'rourke (1943)
light in the piazza (1962)
in this our life (1942)
captain blood (1935)
dodge city (1939)
the adventures of robin hood (1938)
gone with the wind (1939)
the heiress (1949)
to each his own (1946)
hard to get (1938)

• Thanks 1

Yep, just got back from checking out the thread. Nice to see her two Oscar winners at Paramount back to back, although they stuck them in the middle of the night after the four hours of Wind. Otherwise it's all WB, except for Light in the Piazza.

Oh, well, I would have liked to it have been a little less predictable, but obviously she's worthy of a tribute.

6 minutes ago, Athos said:

I wish The Snake Pit was included as well as Hold Back the Dawn. 

Yes, I would prefer if they replaced GONE WITH THE WIND and scheduled THE SNAKE PIT and LIBEL in its place.

4 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Mein Kampf is a political manifesto calling for the extermination of people and Gone With the Wind is a movie. Not even comparable. 

It wasn’t intended to be a 1:1 comparison of the two. I apologize if it came off that way.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I usually do not post in these type of threads, because they are filled with nonsensical shouting for pages and pages. I know I am late, but I feel the need to post a response. TopBilled is a great contributor to this forum. I disagree with many of his views, but I would never want to see him banned for it. He has every right to continue posting based on his beliefs, as everyone else does. He’s not combative or malicious with his words. 

Thank you. I appreciate your saying that.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

If there's another racially charged news event, I can see it getting pulled.

It won't.  In the weeks following the George Floyd protests, TCM has shown numerous films containing blackface and insensitive portrayals of African-Americans.  Just yesterday, they showed Jezebel in which poor Theresa Harris' skin was actually darkened to make her blacker.  They also dedicated a spotlight this month to John Ford movies, many starring John Wayne, despite Ford's prickly depictions of Native Americans (at a time when the Washington Red Skins have retired that name) and despite the reignited controversy about John Wayne Airport.  TCM is clearly not prohibiting movies based on cultural insensitivities.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Feego said:

It won't.  In the weeks following the George Floyd protests, TCM has shown numerous films containing blackface and insensitive portrayals of African-Americans.  Just yesterday, they showed Jezebel in which poor Theresa Harris' skin was actually darkened to make her blacker.  They also dedicated a spotlight this month to John Ford movies, many starring John Wayne, despite Ford's prickly depictions of Native Americans (at a time when the Washington Red Skins have retired that name) and despite the reignited controversy about John Wayne Airport.  TCM is clearly not prohibiting movies based on cultural insensitivities.

Obviously I have some strong opinions about this. 

I will be writing and posting essays on some of this the closer we get to TCM's broadcast of GONE WITH THE WIND on August 23rd.

These essays will be aimed directly at TCM's programming department since I feel they are being incredibly irresponsible.

• Sad 1

Gone With The Wind shows how delusional the south was when it came to winning the civil war. This is shown in the movie in multiple ways. It could even be called an anti-war movie, since they whole place got destroyed and the slave owners ended up mostly broke. Nobody watches the movie and thinks "those were the good ol' days" for the south. How this has to be "banned" from viewing is one strange idea. People can run from history, and hope for a new world. But when you do that, history will repeat itself in some way.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Gone With The Wind shows how delusional the south was when it came to winning the civil war. This is shown in the movie in multiple ways. It could even be called an anti-war movie, since they whole place got destroyed and the slave owners ended up mostly broke. Nobody watches the movie and thinks "those were the good ol' days" for the south. How this has to be "banned" from viewing is one strange idea. People can run from history, and hope for a new world. But when you do that, history will repeat itself in some way.

Only a very,  very small group of people are asking that the film GWTW be 'banned' (which isn't the case anyhow because an actual 'ban' would have to be down by a government agency).  

I disagree with this small minority of people.    No films should be 'banned' (including those directed by Leni Eiefenstahl).    Now if a film needs some type of 'commentary',,,,, that is another subject.      But again that is 100% up to the privately owned content provided companies.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:53 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hopefully TCM will ask the TCM insiders this question in the next survey.

For the record I believe TCM should  show GWTW without any commentary.    

FYI:   I received this month's 'TCM insider' survey and it wasn't about GWTW or other films and if TCM should show these films with some type of commentary.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

The answer is 'yes'.  TCM has swapped out the Bette Davis Summer Under the Stars schedule on Aug. 23 for a tribute to Olivia de Havilland.  Gone with the Wind is the prime-time leadoff at 8 pm ET.

Sorry to see Bette's SUTS  dumped in favor of Olivia.  It would have been just as easy to honor Olivia de Havilland in September.  The SUTS changes are coming fast and furious.  First Natalie Wood instead of John Wayne (no problem with that) and now this.

18 minutes ago, FItzMularkey said:

Sorry to see Bette's SUTS  dumped in favor of Olivia.  It would have been just as easy to honor Olivia de Havilland in September.  The SUTS changes are coming fast and furious.  First Natalie Wood instead of John Wayne (no problem with that) and now this.

I didn't know that another day was changed.

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yep, just got back from checking out the thread. Nice to see her two Oscar winners at Paramount back to back, although they stuck them in the middle of the night after the four hours of Wind. Otherwise it's all WB, except for Light in the Piazza.

Oh, well, I would have liked to it have been a little less predictable, but obviously she's worthy of a tribute.

Fortunately, Universal's new streaming service Peacock offers To Each His Own on demand......

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, FItzMularkey said:

TCM should show It's Love I'm After,   In This Our Live,  and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte this way we have some Bette with our day of Olivia.

• Like 1

I'm very late to this and have tried my best to read all of the comments that came before (whether I agree or not), so I apologize if I'm just repeating stuff, but I come with a slightly different perspective than most of you. Also this is a stupidly long post, I'm so sorry.

I'm a born-and-bred Brit living in the US. So my knowledge of the period portrayed in the movie is definitely less than most of you. My personal experience with GWTW is that I have tried to watch it many times, but have never seen it through to the end. While I'm always immediately horrified by the opening 'gosh, slavery was great, wasn't it?' intro, and pretty disgusted by the portrayal of black people in the movie generally, I think it's just a very, very boring movie. That's, obviously, just an opinion, but... I don't think there is a four-hour movie in existence that could convince me it deserved to be that long. So I don't have any reverence for it as a piece of storytelling, separated from all of this contextual stuff.

However, I don't think it should be banned or kept off the schedule (and I say this as a proud liberal). In fact, I don't think any movie should be kept off the schedule or banned -- these are, ultimately, cultural artifacts of a time long-passed. When TCM screens them, they're not aired to be infallible monuments celebrating Hollywood's legacy of blackface or racism or slavery. They're just classic movies that happened to be made in a time of extreme prejudice and ignorance, and I think most TCM viewers will be familiar with the context that comes with classic films -- the blackface, the racism, the stereotypes, etc. etc. TCM's race-themed spotlights (e.g. the Asian-Americans in Hollywood one they just recently did) also help to illustrate those contextual issues.

I wouldn't be opposed to a contextual wraparound (I find those interesting), but sadly, I think it would just inflame this ridiculous 'culture war' that some people are desperately trying to provoke.  And I think removing it from the schedule would do the same thing.

Giving people the choice of watching it or not is probably as good as you're going to get under these circumstances.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MiddleGround17 said:

I'm very late to this and have tried my best to read all of the comments that came before (whether I agree or not), so I apologize if I'm just repeating stuff, but I come with a slightly different perspective than most of you. Also this is a stupidly long post, I'm so sorry.

I'm a born-and-bred Brit living in the US. So my knowledge of the period portrayed in the movie is definitely less than most of you. My personal experience with GWTW is that I have tried to watch it many times, but have never seen it through to the end. While I'm always immediately horrified by the opening 'gosh, slavery was great, wasn't it?' intro, and pretty disgusted by the portrayal of black people in the movie generally, I think it's just a very, very boring movie. That's, obviously, just an opinion, but... I don't think there is a four-hour movie in existence that could convince me it deserved to be that long. So I don't have any reverence for it as a piece of storytelling, separated from all of this contextual stuff.

However, I don't think it should be banned or kept off the schedule. In fact, I don't think any movie should be kept off the schedule or banned -- these are, ultimately, cultural artifacts of a time long-passed. When TCM screens them, they're not aired to be infallible monuments celebrating Hollywood's legacy of blackface or racism or slavery. They're just classic movies that happened to be made in a time of extreme prejudice and ignorance, and I think most TCM viewers will be familiar with the context that comes with classic films -- the blackface, the racism, the stereotypes, etc. etc. TCM's race-themed spotlights (e.g. the Asian-Americans in Hollywood one they just recently did) also help to illustrate those contextual issues.

I wouldn't be opposed to a contextual wraparound (I find those interesting), but sadly, I think it would just inflame this ridiculous 'culture war' that some people are desperately trying to provoke.  And I think removing it from the schedule would do the same thing.

Giving people the choice of watching it or not is probably as good as you're going to get under these circumstances.

I couldn't agree more!

As a longtime TCM fan, I was very sad to see TCM "cave" to ridiculous PC Lobby demands to air it--but only if it includes a silly, frankly patronizing race-lecture introduction. 

Look TCM viewers all have brains and most of us are probably highly-educated, intelligent movie buffs.  Thus, we can all be trusted to figure out--without "help" from insulting "coaching" or "explanations"  (political lectures/brainwashing)--that GWTW (like most "old" classic films) is simply a reflection of the bygone era/culture in which it was made and first released, nothing more.      When I watch some of Marilyn Monroe's earlier films, I don't assume ALL blonde women are "dumb".  Or if I watch The Godfather series, I don't conclude that ALL Italians are mobsters.   Yet where are the formal "apologies"/disclaimer intros for THOSE films (insulting portrayals of women, certain ethnic groups)?? SMH....

My point being that viewers should be treated like sophisticated, discerning ADULTS,  trusted to view and interpret any film any way they so choose, not like simpletons.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Just looked at the Natalie Wood day.... this must be a first for TCM, a Natalie Wood day without Splendor in the Grass. We get the rarely aired Love with the Proper Stranger instead.

Without Splendor in the Grass works for me. What a stupid film.  Everybody's lives are ruined (or they have to be institutionalized) because Natalie thinks she has to be a "good" girl?? Rubbish!