Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Statues of Christopher Columbus are being dismounted across the country

Statues of Christopher Columbus are being dismounted across the country

As racial reckoning occurs across the country following the death of George Floyd, many Confederate statues -- which some consider racist symbols of America's dark legacy of slavery -- have been removed.

Now, statues of Christopher Columbus, another controversial figure in US history, are also being taken down. There have been three reports of Christopher Columbus statues being tampered with -- one thrown into a lake, one beheaded, and another pulled to the ground.

Columbus has long been a contentious figure in history for his treatment of the Indigenous communities he encountered and for his role in the violent colonization at their expense.

In recent years, many cities and states have replaced Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples' Day, in recognition of the pain and terror caused by Columbus and other European explorers.

Some demonstrators have said they targeted Columbus statues to stand in solidarity with Indigenous people.

At the Minnesota State Capitol on Wednesday, a group of people at a rally tossed a rope around a statue of Columbus and tugged it to the ground, CNN affiliate KMSP reported.

"This has been an ongoing conversation that we've been having for years with people who occupy this building (the capitol)," Mike Forcia with AIM of Twin Cities, a Native American advocacy group that organized the rally, told KMSP. "It's always 'you got to wait; there's a process you got to go through.''"

But, Forcia said, "the time for being complacent is over."

Elsewhere in the US, about 1,000 people gathered at Byrd Park in Richmond, Virginia on Tuesday, according to CNN affiliate WTVR.

It must be scary to wake up every morning and be offended by flags, books, statues, and TV shows.

• Haha 1

If Columbus didn't travel to the America's somebody else eventually would had.  Can't stop a "shrinking" world.

Glad we're becoming a more woke country. The statues should have been voluntarily removed years ago.

Christopher Columbus had an abominable record as governor of Hispaniola, a position from which he was removed when reports of his incompetence and brutality towards colonial subjects were received in Spain.

From Wiki:

According to the report, Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery. Testimony recorded in the report stated that Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomeo on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.[98] The document also describes how Columbus put down native unrest and revolt: he first ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed, and then paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets in an attempt to discourage further rebellion.[99]

"Columbus's government was characterised by a form of tyranny," Consuelo Varela, a Spanish historian who has seen the document, told journalists. "Even those who loved him had to admit the atrocities that had taken place."[98]

Columbus may be primarily remembered by school children for his discovery of America, but his racism and barbarity as governor are also an undeniable part of his record. No one would have wanted to be a brown skinned subject under the thumb of a person like Columbus.

• Thanks 2

On 6/11/2020 at 12:06 PM, MovieMadness said:

It must be scary to wake up every morning and be offended by flags, books, statues, and TV shows.

Not as scary, I'm sure, as thinking that peaceful protesters are the same as rioters, or another Democrat may get elected to political office.

I have still yet to see you make a single statement about Donald (Bunker Bunny) Trump turning tear gas on peaceful protesters in front of the White House, MM. Silence equals consent.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Not as scary, I'm sure, as thinking that peaceful protesters are the same as rioters, or another Democrat may get elected to political office.

I have still yet to see you make a single statement about Donald (Bunker Bunny) Trump turning tear gas on peaceful protesters in front of the White House, MM. Silence equals consent....I suppose if Trump had asked the protesters nicely to make a pathway for him so he could go to the church they would have been happy to oblige. all he did was clear a few scalawags outta the way...GOOD!

:D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

....I suppose if Trump had asked the protesters nicely to make a pathway for him so he could go to the church they would have been happy to oblige. all he did was clear a few scalawags outta the way...GOOD!

If Brave Brave Sir Donald was a man of the people he would have waded through the crowd and said hello to them all.   

But I'm glad that he didn't.  His poll numbers would have gone up.  Let him continue to be his own worst enemy.

• Haha 1

do you liberals really wanna be guided by the polls again?

:lol:

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

do you liberals really wanna be guided by the polls again?

:lol:

I've heard Trump's klingons say that systemic racism doesn't exist in America.  I think most intelligent people would disagree with that.  Millions of Americans voted Donald Trump President of their country knowing what a **** racist he is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

....I suppose if Trump had asked the protesters nicely to make a pathway for him so he could go to the church they would have been happy to oblige. all he did was clear a few scalawags outta the way...GOOD!

Thanks for confirming that you DO support tear gassing Americans exercising heir first amendment rights, Nip.

At least you've come out and said it, unlike Movie Madness who seems to take refuge in Trump's bunker when this question is posed. I wonder how many other trump supporters will acknowledge that authoritarian measures taken by a President against the American people don't bother them (just so long as they are not personally impacted, of course).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I've heard Trump's klingons say that systemic racism doesn't exist in America.  I think most intelligent people would disagree with that.  Millions of Americans voted Donald Trump President of their country knowing what a **** racist he is.

Well there is another way to look at the term "systemic";  Here is one definition:  relating to a system, especially as opposed to a particular part.

What system is one talking about when one says 'there is systemic racism"?     Policing?    Well there is no one-system for policing.    Instead there are thousands of local systems.

AND within each of these systems there are sub-systems.      Thus the odds all ALL systems and the various sub-systems are 'racist' is of course low or non existent.

Of course when activist, the left,   Dems, etc..  say 'systemic racism' they don't mean ALL systems (all police departments,  all white people,  all managers and employers,  all landlords,  etc....).   They are just using this as a taking-point.    AND when Trumpers, conservatives,  racist,  etc... say it doesn't existing they do so because they don't wish to acknowledge the degree of racist that does exist within the various systems \ various layers of American culture.

Anyhow,  I'm sure partisans will reject what I'm saying here since it is nuanced;   in these culture war nuance is the worst position to take;  one is either with THEM or against THEM.

PS:  with regards to the Columbus statue:  well it looks like some liberal New Yorkers are tripping all over themselves.    They are asking their political consultants:   how many voters of Italians decent do I have in my district  verses younger people-of-color?    Dang this job used to be easier!    

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well there is another way to look at the term "systemic";  Here is one definition:  relating to a system, especially as opposed to a particular part.

What system is one talking about when one says 'there is systemic racism"?     Policing?    Well there is no one-system for policing.    Instead there are thousands of local systems.

AND within each of these systems there are sub-systems.      Thus the odds all ALL systems and the various sub-systems are 'racist' is of course low or non existent.

Of course when activist, the left,   Dems, etc..  say 'systemic racism' they don't mean ALL systems (all police departments,  all white people,  all managers and employers,  all landlords,  etc....).   They are just using this as a taking-point.    AND when Trumpers, conservatives,  racist,  etc... say it doesn't existing they do so because they don't wish to acknowledge the degree of racist that does exist within the various systems \ various layers of American culture.

Anyhow,  I'm sure partisans will reject what I'm saying here since it is nuanced;   in these culture war nuance is the worst position to take;  one is either with THEM or against THEM.

PS:  with regards to the Columbus statue:  well it looks like some liberal New Yorkers are tripping all over themselves.    They are asking their political consultants:   how many voters of Italians decent do I have in my district  verses younger people-of-color?    Dang this job used to be easier!    

For me the bigger tell tale sign of American society as a whole is that 40% eagerly voted for a known serial sex abuser and racist as their bloody leader.  They continue to support and enable him and plan on voting for him AGAIN !

When it comes to racism you can't be in the middle ... a little pregnant.  You have to be against it or you are enabling it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

For me the bigger tell tale sign of American society as a whole is that 40% eagerly voted for a known serial sex abuser and racist as their bloody leader.  They continue to support and enable him and plan on voting for him AGAIN !

When it comes to racism you can't be in the middle ... a little pregnant.  You have to be against it or you are enabling it.

As for racism or any topic;  when viewed from a political spectrum I find your us-verses-them non-nuanced POV to be non productive:  When it comes to policy decisions one can be 'in the middle'.    E.g.   reparations.       To me you're making my point about partisan talking points;     E.g.  if one is NOT for reparations they are enabling racism.

Can't you see how that is related to the talking point about systemic racism;  the question is asked by partisans to pigeon hole voters into supporting the vast majority,  if not all,  of their policy objectives.      

Generally I'm not interested in if one is 'against IT' (whatever the IT is),  or not, but their stance on policy related to the IT;   This POV was useful when discussing LGBT rights with religious Americans.    I don't care if they were against it (hated gay,   viewed being gay as a sin etc...),    as long as they supported SSM rights.          

30 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I've said this so many times now but I'll repeat it once again. Anyone who votes for Trump this November knows they are enabling a man who panders to white supremacists and racial divisions within the nation. Voting for an arsonist like Trump is only pouring more gasoline on the fire.

It doesn't matter if the voter involved doesn't have a racist bone in his/her body and is voting for Trump for other reasons (ie. the economy). Trump is a package deal and by voting for him you are voting for inflaming racial tensions within the nation. What's more, the voter KNOWS THIS! Therefore that voter holds moral responsibility for the nation's racial divisions.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I've said this so many times now but I'll repeat it once again. Anyone who votes for Trump this November knows they are enabling a man who panders to white supremacists and racial divisions within the nation. Voting for an arsonist like Trump is only pouring more gasoline on the fire.

It doesn't matter if the voter involved doesn't have a racist bone in his/her body and is voting for Trump for other reasons (ie. the economy). Trump is a package deal and by voting for him you are voting for inflaming racial tensions within the nation. What's more, the voter KNOWS THIS! Therefore that voter holds moral responsibility for the nation's racial divisions.

A followup on this statement:

Unlike 2016, the voter in 2020 has a far greater idea of what he/she is voting for in Donald Trump. Yes,his pandering to racists was obvious for all to see then but some may have thought he'd cool it after becoming President. Instead he has stoked those racist fires as leader of the nation. Therefore, I strongly suspect that a greater percentage of those voting for Trump this year will be doing it for racist reasons, as opposed those who supported him four years ago (some out of hatred for Hillary then, a hatred that doesn't exist for Biden today).

44 minutes ago, TomJH said:

A followup on this statement:

Unlike 2016, the voter in 2020 has a far greater idea of what he/she is voting for in Donald Trump. Therefore, I strongly suspect that a greater percentage of those voting for Trump this year will be doing it for racist reasons, as opposed those who supported him four years ago.

Or they don't think racism is a big deal.  Just like sex abuse is not a big deal. Being nasty is not a big deal.   Dodges the draft and insults Gold Star families - no big deal.  Declares bankruptcy 4 times, runs a crooked University scam, steals money from a children's cancer charity.  No big deal.   Or making a deal with the Russians to win the election is not a big deal.  Or taking $400 million from the Russians in 2008 to go on a buying spree of golf courses and therefor be beholden to them is not a big deal.  Ruining the environment and killing endangered species is not a big deal.  Discarding the country's  Allies is not a big deal.  Kids in cages?  No big deal.  Doing nothing for 9 weeks when a pandemic strikes and therefor increasing the death toll by 70% is not a big deal.  Ordering troops against peaceful protestors is no big deal.  18,000 lies to the American people is not a big deal.

And why is it not a big deal?  Because hatred of liberal policies is somehow more threatening than all of the evil listed above.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In fourteen hundred and ninety-two,

Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

Five hundred and twenty-eight year later,

It's past time to feed him to the gators.

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Or they don't think racism is a big deal.  Just like sex abuse is not a big deal. Being nasty is not a big deal.   Dodges the draft and insults Gold Star families - no big deal.  Declares bankruptcy 4 times, runs a crooked University scam, steals money from a children's cancer charity.  No big deal.   Or making a deal with the Russians to win the election is not a big deal.  Or taking $400 million from the Russians in 2008 to go on a buying spree of golf courses and therefor be beholden to them is not a big deal.  Ruining the environment and killing endangered species is not a big deal.  Discarding the country's  Allies is not a big deal.  Kids in cages?  No big deal.  Doing nothing for 9 weeks when a pandemic strikes and therefor increasing the death toll by 70% is not a big deal.  Ordering troops against peaceful protestors is no big deal.  18,000 lies to the American people is not a big deal.

And why is it not a big deal?  Because hatred of liberal policies is somehow more threatening than all of the evil listed above.

Yea,  sadly ending or reducing abortion and ensuring more-and-more guns are the main 'big deals' (if not only ones) for way too many ignorant Americans.

But this time they will lose.   I just don't see Trump winning even in my rather conservative county here in CA;  E.g.   On Thursday the county supervisors dropped the mask requirement because the lead county health official resigned due to death threats!     These cowards didn't support their health official but instead caved to the Trumpers and their selfish asinine demands.      

I'll be voting for ANYONE but a member of the GOP this November! 

• Thanks 1