Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Letter detailing Van Gogh and Gaugion's brothel visits to be auctioned

A letter jointly written by painters Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin, which features details of their visits to French brothels, could sell for up to $282,000 at an auction in Paris.

The November 1888 letter was primarily authored by Van Gogh, but features comments added by Gauguin before it was mailed to painter Emile Bernard.

"We've made some excursions in the brothels, and it's likely that we'll eventually go there often to work," Van Gogh wrote in the letter, which was mailed from Arles, France. "At the moment Gauguin has a canvas in progress of the same night cafe that I also painted, but with figures seen in the brothels. It promises to become a beautiful thing."

French auction house Drouot Estimations said the letter is "exceptional for the extraordinary meeting of two immense painters, but also for the lucidity and the certainty that their painting will revolutionize the art of future generations."

The letter is expected to fetch between $203,000 and $282,000 when it is auctioned next week.

I thought the movie Lust For Life was a little light on details, it sounds like they left out some good parts.

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2020 at 12:34 AM, hamradio said:

Guess this is one of the French wh_res.

van-gogh-nude-woman-reclining-seen-from-

:o

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2020 at 1:17 AM, MovieMadness said:

A letter jointly written by painters Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin, which features details of their visits to French brothels, could sell for up to $282,000 at an auction in Paris.

The November 1888 letter was primarily authored by Van Gogh, but features comments added by Gauguin before it was mailed to painter Emile Bernard.

"We've made some excursions in the brothels, and it's likely that we'll eventually go there often to work," Van Gogh wrote in the letter, which was mailed from Arles, France. "At the moment Gauguin has a canvas in progress of the same night cafe that I also painted, but with figures seen in the brothels. It promises to become a beautiful thing."

French auction house Drouot Estimations said the letter is "exceptional for the extraordinary meeting of two immense painters, but also for the lucidity and the certainty that their painting will revolutionize the art of future generations."

The letter is expected to fetch between $203,000 and $282,000 when it is auctioned next week.

I thought the movie Lust For Life was a little light on details, it sounds like they left out some good parts.

Bernard was a good friend of Toulouse Lautrec who was also a friend of Van Gogh,they all hang around the same places. Lautrec made many paintings in the houses of joy...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nakano said:

Bernard was a good friend of Toulouse Lautrec who was also a friend of Van Gogh,they all hang around the same places. Lautrec made many paintings in the houses of joy...

Pour la plupart, Lautrec a fait sa re'putation de ses affiches pour les divertissements et aux boites de nuit, n'est-ce pas?

I don't doubt that Toulouse Lautrec painted some subjects in brothels, but he was not that well known for that particular venue.

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Pour la plupart, Lautrec a fait sa re'putation de ses affiches pour les divertissements et aux boites de nuit, n'est-ce pas?

I don't doubt that Toulouse Lautrec painted some subjects in brothels, but he was not that well known for that particular venue.

bien sur mais il y était souvent not for the usual reasons cependant,try to get the Lautrec film from 1998 if not je vous l'enverrai it is very good, bonne journée la princesse qui tappe

Just now, nakano said:

bien sur mais il y était souvent not for the usual reasons cependant,try to get the Lautrec film from 1998 if not je vous l'enverrai it is very good, bonne journée la princesse qui tappe

Bonjour-- C'est ironique, mais:

My favorite French impressionist painter is an Englishman named Sisley. 

15 hours ago, nakano said:

What I find particularly powerful about his works is how they show that the joy was so one-sided. I believe that his most notable work is the series entitled: Elles which captures the non-erotic aspect of working girls in the house of ill repute in which he lived. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 10:53 AM, NipkowDisc said:

:o

Imagine the scent. 

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Bonjour-- C'est ironique, mais:

My favorite French impressionist painter is an Englishman named Sisley. 

Did not know him,cela a manqué à ma culture,very nice indeed,i will look for more on him,my préférence is still the British J.M.W. Turner,he was an influence on Sisley and many impressionists-earlier period.Turner and I share the same anniversaire mais pas la meme année.Vous etes tres ironique...

TAP MASQ.jpg

4 hours ago, nakano said:

Did not know him,cela a manqué à ma culture,very nice indeed,i will look for more on him,my préférence is still the British J.M.W. Turner,he was an influence on Sisley and many impressionists-earlier period.Turner and I share the same anniversaire mais pas la meme année.Vous etes tres ironique...

TAP MASQ.jpg

Monsieur en francais s'il vous plait:

Les Claquettes!