Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

yucca nip the pride of horticulture

years ago around 1990 or 91  when living in a house my brother-in-law gave me a yucca he had dug up from someplace. it was one of them yuccas you find growing here in southern jersey.

it had originally escaped from down south and made it's way up here. adam's needle aka yucca filamentosa because of the loose threads growing around the leaf blades.

well sir, if I remember I used the plant trick of soaking the roots in water for 12 hours then went outside, dug a hole to the right of our driveway which was already nicely canopied by a nice two-trunked white oak which liked to grace our property with acorns. also on our front lawn a magnificent 30 foot eastern white pine.

well sir, I planted it and left it to the care of nature. one day maybe a year later I looked the yucca's way and was excited to see a 6 and a half maybe seven foot flower stem growing from the center of the blade rosette. the top of the spike was adorned with numerous bell-shaped little white flowers that hung down. do they have a scent? yes they do!...

licorice! they smell like licorice candy. a great horticultural achievement.

wait! just remembered when I first noticed the flower spike the flowers were still developing then later on that magnificent sight.

:)

Yucca Filamentosa Golden Sword - Adam'S Needle Yucca #3 ...