Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unannounced program change - Salvatore Giuliano out, Until The End Of The World in

I've mentioned this before, but one of the constant annoyances about our favorite movie station is the way it makes program changes without changing the online schedule.

Latest example:  At 4:00 AM tonight, the program guide on this website lists this film:

Synopsis: A film that chronicles the rise to power and the eventual murder of one Sicily's most notorious gangsters in the 1940s.
DirFrancesco Rosi CastFrank Wolff , Salvo Randone , Federico Zardi

And so I programmed it on my recorder.  But when I looked at the 4:00 AM slot on my FIOS program guide, it shows this:

Until the End of the World (1991)
Two fugitives run off with a machine that records dreams

If I hadn't checked this, I would've recorded a movie I didn't have any interest in seeing.  Is it really too much to ask of the TCM website to keep its online program guide up-to-date?  It does this sort of thing a lot, along with showing movies in time frames that don't allow for the full running time of the movie.

• Thanks 3

Thank you Andy for the heads up.  Last-minute program changes are very frustrating.

I do wonder for this case if perhaps the information provided to the on-line services might be incorrect.  Per IMDB, the runtime for Until the End of the World is a minimum of 2h 38m, which would go past the window allotted for Salvatore Giuliano and force TCM to do something with the next film, The Search (1948) which is scheduled at 6:30 am ET.  Since  so far The Search remains at its original time on Monday , something does not add up.

By the way, the last time TCM showed Until the End of the World, I believe they used the Criterion 4h 48m director's cut, which would be an even bigger problem for the following films on the schedule if this version is shown again late Sunday.

So maybe we should keep our fingers crossed that Salvatore Giuliano will still be shown.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I do wonder for this case if perhaps the information provided to the on-line services might be incorrect.  Per IMDB, the runtime for Until the End of the World is a minimum of 2h 38m, which would go past the window allotted for Salvatore Giuliano and force TCM to do something with the next film, The Search (1948) which is scheduled at 6:30 am ET.  Since  so far The Search remains at its original time on Monday , something does not add up.

By the way, the last time TCM showed Until the End of the World, I believe they used the Criterion 4h 48m director's cut, which would be an even bigger problem for the following films on the schedule if this version is shown again late Sunday.

So maybe we should keep our fingers crossed that Salvatore Giuliano will still be shown.

I hadn't thought of that possibility, as every other time this has come up my FIOS guide has proven to be the correct one.  But hell, all it'll cost me is a 25 cent blank DVD, so maybe the risk / reward ratio is worth it.

But when you bring up the running time of Until The End Of The World..........well, I'm just glad I already have a copy of The Search, one of my all-time favorite movies.

We share your TCM “constant annoyances” regarding unreliable scheduling…completely unprofessional and disrespectful to viewers…reliable scheduling should be paramount to programming.

Perhaps Charlie Tabesh (22 year veteran of the network) TCM’s programming chief needs to be “woke” up?

Reach out and twit ‘em here: https://twitter.com/ctabesh?lang=en

🤘

Cmovieviewer beat me to it.

Basically it appears that this online schedule display has been throwing glitches since at least 2011, that is how far back another viewer's independent broadcast log project goes, which is why he started it back then, and keeps me up to date on, for my project. 

Tabesh isn't a computer programmer, and this would need someone with actual computer skillz to get in there and work on it.  Not some IT guy, not the nightly janitor, but a computer science guy who knows computers and legacy software inside and out.  Someone who could figure out the least amount of changes necessary to get it working.  At this point it appears to be "abandonware", just happily chugging along...  Personally I would let sleeping dogs lie, because who knows what the new parent company might do with it.

21 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

We share your TCM “constant annoyances” regarding unreliable scheduling…completely unprofessional and disrespectful to viewers…reliable scheduling should be paramount to programming.

Perhaps Charlie Tabesh (22 year veteran of the network) TCM’s programming chief needs to be “woke” up?

Reach out and twit ‘em here: https://twitter.com/ctabesh?lang=en

🤘

Twit or Tweet?

Do you have a link for yourself, so we can Tweet you to make sure you are woke too? :) 

22 minutes ago, AndyM108 said:

I hadn't thought of that possibility, as every other time this has come up my FIOS guide has proven to be the correct one.  But hell, all it'll cost me is a 25 cent blank DVD, so maybe the risk / reward ratio is worth it.

But when you bring up the running time of Until The End Of The World..........well, I'm just glad I already have a copy of The Search, one of my all-time favorite movies.

My on-screen guide agrees with yours.   TV Guide agrees with TCM.

I just looked into my records and...

Until The End Of The World first appeared on my on-screen guide (Schedules Direct) on June 2, that's the maximum of 13 days ahead that they list anything.

The TCM website first listed Salvatore Giuliano on March 30, but never changed it.

So this isn't exactly a last-minute change for them, but is rather a last-minute realization for us.

9 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I just looked into my records and...

Until The End Of The World first appeared on my on-screen guide (Schedules Direct) on June 2, that's the maximum of 13 days ahead that they list anything.

The TCM website first listed Salvatore Giuliano on March 30, but never changed it.

So this isn't exactly a last-minute change for them, but is rather a last-minute realization for us.

And yet I'm seeing Salvatore Giuliano on TCM this very minute.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Happy ending / nice and tidy,
It's a rule I / learned in school,
Get your money / every Friday
Happy endings / are the rule
😎

• Like 1

I was planning on watching Until the End of the World again but fell asleep. Glad I didn't miss it.  I've seen Salvatore before. It is a good film.

13 hours ago, skimpole said:

And yet I'm seeing Salvatore Giuliano on TCM this very minute.

It's been a frequent schedule glitch recently where Until the End of the World shows up in the TCM Imports slot , even though its actually not airing. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

It's been a frequent schedule glitch recently where Until the End of the World shows up in the TCM Imports slot , even though its actually not airing. 

Data integrity issues with the on-screen guides are definitely something to keep in mind, just the same as with their online schedules.

5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

"The Ascent" also stood in for October: 10 Days That Shook the World once iirc.

I had never seen "Salvatore Guiliano" before, but I was able to catch it on the TCM West feed Monday, as it came on around 6 a.m.  I thought it was a good film; glad it didn't get bumped after all.

Criterion's essay on Salvatore Giuliano.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/315-salvatore-giuliano

With Salvatore Giuliano (1961), Francesco Rosi developed the style and method that would make him, during the sixties and seventies, the greatest political filmmaker of his time. If Sergei Eisenstein could be considered the master of political cinema in the first half of the twentieth century, Rosi, in a way his peer, offers a totally different approach to the realities of power. Joseph Goebbels, allegedly an admirer of the Russian director’s films, would have been unable to endorse Rosi’s analytical conclusions. Eisenstein uses the tools of propaganda, playing chiefly on emotion and a Manichean view of the world. Rosi, though able to provoke deeply sensitive reactions from his spectators, always manages to make them think by tracking down and exposing the lies that obscure the inquiries and the scandals of our societies. His filmography can be viewed as a vast panorama of the historical past of his country, as well as its present.

Influenced by both Italian neorealism and the American crime-film tradition (from Jules Dassin to Elia Kazan), Rosi had worked as an assistant director with such filmmakers as Luchino Visconti, Michelangelo Antonioni, and Mario Monicelli before striking out on his own as writer and director with two films, La sfida (The Challenge, 1958) and I magliari (1959), the first situated in Naples and the second among Italian immigrant cloth sellers in Hamburg. Having mastered his craft, Rosi inaugurated with Salvatore Giuliano a new kind of realism that, while strongly influenced by neorealism, went beyond its immediate model by examining such issues as power and the relationships between the law and lawbreakers, while also shedding light on the causes and consequences that determine the ways in which society functions.