Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Do They Have in Common?


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Next:  

Blues Brothers (1980)

Dawn of the Dead  (1978)

The Silent Partner (1978)

Fast Times at Ridgemont High  (1982)

Jackie Brown (1997)

Important scenes in each film take place in a shopping mall?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Thanks, Peebs! I can definitely imagine a day's worth of TCM programming based on that theme.

Next:

Desire (1936)

Confession (1937)

Victor/Victoria (1982)

City of Angels (1998)

No Reservations (2007)

Ah, ok...English versions of German productions?

1. Happy Days of Aranjuez (1933)

2. Mazurka (1937)

3.  Victor and Victorian (1933)

4.  Wings of Desire (1987)

5.  Mostly Martha (2001)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peebs said:

Ah, ok...English versions of German productions?

1. Happy Days in Aranjuez (1933)

2. Mazurka (1935)

3.  Victor and Victoria (1933)

4.  Wings of Desire (1987)

5.  Mostly Martha (2001)

Yes, Peebs, that's it!  One thing that surprises me is that the first three films were all made during the early Nazi period (especially something as risqué as Viktor und Viktoria, which was released in December 1933--Hitler had already been Chancellor since January of that year). Apparently, concerted efforts to censor films that did not "align with the aims of National Socialism" didn't get into full swing until about 1935.

You are once again victorious, Peebs (or is it Viktor-ious?)

Your thread... 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another good theme!  I knew about City of Angels but I don't think I knew that the others were based on German films.  Interesting bit of history.

Next: Here's a pretty easy one, I think--

Scream 2 (1997)

The Freshman (1990)

The Male Animal (1942)

Getting Straight (1970)

Horse Feathers (1932)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peebs said:

Next: Here's a pretty easy one, I think--

Scream 2 (1997)

The Freshman (1990)

The Male Animal (1942)

Getting Straight (1970)

Horse Feathers (1932)

Much of the action takes place at a college or university?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Much of the action takes place at a college or university?

You go to the head of the class. Correct as always, Fausterlitz!

Your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Thanks, Peebs!

Next:

Wild is the Wind (1957)

Sweet Charity (1969)

Which Way is Up? (1977)

A Walk in the Clouds (1995)

Everybody's Fine (2009)

 

Basato su film italiani?  Based on Italian productions?

1.  Fury (1947)

2.   Nights of Cabiria (Le Notti di Cabiria, 1957)

3.   The Seduction of Mimi (1972)

4.  Four Steps in the Clouds (1942)

5.  Everybody's Fine (1990)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Basato su film italiani?  Based on Italian productions?

1.  Fury (1947)

2.   Nights of Cabiria (Le Notti di Cabiria, 1957)

3.   The Seduction of Mimi (1972)

4.  Four Steps in the Clouds (1942)

5.  Everybody's Fine (1990)

Bravo, Peebs--hai ragione come sempre! È il tuo turno...  🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fausterlitz said:

Thanks, Peebs! I believe Merle Oberon also had some Eurasian (but not specifically Indian) ancestry via her mother.

Next:

Cecil Kellaway

Basil Rathbone

Glynis Johns

Juliet Prowse

Janet Suzman

 

Yep, I also read that her mother was very young when she had Merle.  Oberon told people she was born in Australia but the records were destroyed in a fire.

*********************

Born in South Africa or from South Africa?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Suprisingly, I actually do!  Nothing too clever but a theme, nonetheless.

 

Next:  

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. (2015)

The Family Way (1966)

Hannah and Her Sisters. (1986)

Pretty in Pink. (1986)

High Fidelity (2000)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Peebs!  I wasn't sure about The Family Way, but deduced it from this photo:

th-94.jpg.0894146c263460b1ee50d6965a9b5d6f.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

Next:

The Little Colonel (1935)

The Pirate (1948)

The Band Wagon (1953)

White Nights (1985)

Save the Last Dance (2001)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Thanks, Peebs!  I wasn't sure about The Family Way, but deduced it from this photo:

th-94.jpg.0894146c263460b1ee50d6965a9b5d6f.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

Next:

The Little Colonel (1935)

The Pirate (1948)

The Band Wagon (1953)

White Nights (1985)

Save the Last Dance (2001)

Not sure, does it have something to do with dancing partners from different worlds/backgrounds?  (I also thought maybe dancing on stairs but I don't think that works with all of them.).  Just taking a wild guess...

Maybe someone else has a better answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Not sure, does it have something to do with dancing partners from different worlds/backgrounds?

Well, you're in the ballpark, Peebs, but it's more specific than that.

Hint: ebony and ivory

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Well, you're in the ballpark, Peebs, but it's more specific than that.

Hint: ebony and ivory

Oh, of course!!  (As I slap myself in the forehead.)

1.  Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson

2.  Gene Kelly and the Nicholas Brothers

3. Fred Astaire and LeRoy Daniels (Shine on My Shoes)

4. Baryshnikov and Hines

5. Julia Stiles and Sean Patrick Thomas

I had forgotten about #3!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...