Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheCid

Darkness in the Daytime

Other channels are doing this. TCM may as well fall in line. Noir is becoming a hot genre.

I've seen them all, sadly.

28 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Other channels are doing this. TCM may as well fall in line. Noir is becoming a hot genre.

Yeah, that seems to be the case, doesn't it Gerald.

(...wonder why?...any thoughts?)

13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, that seems to be the case, doesn't it Gerald.

(...wonder why?...any thoughts?)

(In my humble opinion), Noir has many aspects missing in today's media.

Most media I glance at, tends to be so immediate. "THE WORLD IS GOING TO END RIGHT NOW !!!!". There is always a bomb to be found at the last minute, some murderer to be caught before its too late, some catastrophe that has to be averted, etc.... Today, things are so disposable. And they tend to all look and sound the same be it music, TV or films.

Noirs tend to be patient, take time to develop. More low key affairs, Characters are more developed and memorable. There's a more cool aspect to them. You can get fully engrossed in noirs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

DOA was one of the first classic films I saw as a teen. Love it, holds up well.

NIAGARA just aired recently, I caught it on TCM & couldn't turn it off. It's a great film to show someone who only knows MM as an "icon".  Great contrast with her fluff role in CLASH BY NIGHT.

Never liked POSTMAN RINGS TWICE, any one who can be duped that easily deserves whatever they get.

I'd love to spend a day revisiting those great movies. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

DOA was one of the first classic films I saw as a teen. Love it, holds up well.

NIAGARA just aired recently, I caught it on TCM & couldn't turn it off. It's a great film to show someone who only knows MM as an "icon".  Great contrast with her fluff role in CLASH BY NIGHT.

Never liked POSTMAN RINGS TWICE, any one who can be duped that easily deserves whatever they get.

I'd love to spend a day revisiting those great movies. Thanks for the heads up.

My favorite is Kansas City Confidential - very good cast and story.  Agree about Niagara and DOA.

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Curious who you believe deserved what they had coming to them in the film:   E.g.  all three of them?

I always like to watch DOA as chester is a laugh riot.

:)

Noir's Goon Squad: Neville Brand - Criminal Element

• Like 1

:unsure:

I thought this thread was about maybe there was gonna be an ECLIPSE.  :wacko:

Sepiatone

Posted (edited)

Well how did it go? Yesterday was a day I had a full schedule and missed it all. My favs out of the list are are   SIDE STREET, THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE,    KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL,   PITFALL,    NIAGARA, and   NIGHT AND THE CITY (1950), lol.

Edited by cigarjoe

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Well how did it go? Yesterday was a day I had a full schedule and missed it all. My favs out of the list are are   SIDE STREET, THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE,    KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL,   PITFALL,    NIAGARA, and   NIGHT AND THE CITY (1950), lol.

You didn't miss it after all.  Turn on TCM right now if you still want to see Darkness in the Daytime.  It's on today (Fri., 6/19).

• Like 1

I've seen a few of them before but I don't mind the rewatches, it's great stuff. Especially DOA, the Fisherman jazz session is top shelf.

• Like 1