Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cigarjoe

God's Little Acre (1958)

This has got to be the most unfunny comedy about rural Southerners made. Everybody seems to be screaming southern corn-pone expressions and trying to out pekerwood each other. Watching this drops your I.Q.

I hope TCM shows it in the future with a wraparound disclaimer.  

Gotta admit the women are hot though 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

This has got to be the most unfunny comedy about rural Southerners made. Everybody seems to be screaming southern corn-pone expressions and trying to out pekerwood each other. Watching this drops your I.Q.

Glad to see you point out the lack of disclaimers, so where were they about this movie and that it was insulting and demeaning to white Southerners in general and poor Southern whites in particular?  Where were the wraparounds to explain that it was a different time and those attitudes are no longer appropriate? Or are they still appropriate?

Sorry, CJ, but I couldn't not take this opportunity as GLA was an example I tried to bring up in the GWTW threads, to little avail.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Glad to see you point out the lack of disclaimers, so where were they about this movie and that it was insulting and demeaning to white Southerners in general and poor Southern whites in particular?  Where were the wraparounds to explain that it was a different time and those attitudes are no longer appropriate? Or are they still appropriate?

Sorry, CJ, but I couldn't not take this opportunity as GLA was an example I tried to bring up in the GWTW threads, to little avail.

Well, not to turn this thing ugly here Cid, BUT in an effort to help you answer your above questions, I'll now offer up a little question of my own:

In the 2016 election, didn't almost every southern state's Electoral College vote go to that fat-butted idiot of a man-child?

(...and so YEAH, I'd say that that sort'a thing might still be "appropriate"!)

LOL

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, not to turn this thing ugly here Cid, BUT in an effort to help you answer your above questions, I'll now offer up a little question of my own:

In the 2016 election, didn't almost every southern state's Electoral College vote go to that fat-butted idiot of a man-child?

(...and so YEAH, I'd say that that sort'a thing might still be "appropriate"!)

LOL

You forget that Trump won based on votes in many Northern and Western states as much as, if not more so, than Southern ones.  You could also include Florida as there is ongoing debate as to whether it is a Southern or a Northern state.

Southern states are famous for voting is a block - and then losing.

So the portrayal of the characters in GLA is appropriate to apply to all Southerners in your opinion?

lol. Florida is a southern state entirely. Don't push them over on us.

• Confused 1

Just now, TheCid said:

You forget that Trump won based on votes in many Northern and Western states as much as, if not more so, than Southern ones.  You could also include Florida as there is ongoing debate as to whether it is a Southern or a Northern state.

Southern states are famous for voting is a block - and then losing.

Yeah, actually you're correct here. Yep, there are certainly hicks EVERYWHERE in this country of ours isn't there, and NOT just down there in y'alls southern states.

And, which would THEN point to what a lousy freakin' campaigner the fat-butted idiot of man-child's opponent was, to be sure.

(...but HEY, I think we "might" be gettin' a little off-track here, huh)  ;)

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...but HEY, I think we "might" be gettin' a little off-track here, huh)  ;)

What?  Getting off-track on a TCM thread.  Surely not?

• Haha 1

I was born in FL.  I live in GA now. 

You could call me a 'Florida Cracker' and I'd not be offended.   West Palm Beach, FL, has changed a lot since I sprung to life there in Feb. 1973. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

What?  Getting off-track on a TCM thread.  Surely not?

LOL

You know you COULD have paraphrased that line Rains says in that North African-set Bogie flick, don't ya?!...

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED to learn there is sidetracking of threads going on in here!"

(...but maybe that would've been a bit hackneyed by now, huh)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I was born in FL.  I live in GA now. 

You could call me a 'Florida Cracker' and I'd not be offended.   West Palm Beach, FL, has changed a lot since I sprung to life there in Feb. 1973. 

Everything I know about Palm Beach and West Palm Beach I learned from Body Heat, Donald Trump, the Atlantic Coast Line and Florida East Coast Railroads passenger services and Lawrence Sander's Archie McNally books.  And maybe a little bit from the Florida authors who used to work for papers there, but became comedy book writers.

Well, Erskine Caldwell was born in Georgia, so blame him. I remember when I lived in Georgia there

was an off brand cracker called Georgia Crackers. That cracked me up every time I saw it in the

grocery store.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I lived in WPB until 2008, btw.  I haven't been back since because there's no one to visit.    

1 minute ago, Vautrin said:

Well, Erskine Caldwell was born in Georgia, so blame him. I remember when I lived in Georgia there

was an off brand cracker called Georgia Crackers. That cracked me up every time I saw it in the

grocery store.

Ya know, I think a saw a box of those sittin' on the shelf near the cashier the last time I ate at the Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

Got a pack of Black Jack gum instead as I paid my check.

(...didn't KNOW I was so "down home" did ya...what with the way I talk about "hicks"!)

LOL

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ya know, I think a saw a box of those sittin' on the shelf near the cashier the last time I ate at the Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

(...didn't KNOW I was so "down home" did ya...what with the way I talk about "hicks"!)

LOL

Waffle House may be more "Down Home" in the South than Cracker Barrel.  The Barrel has good food, but tends to be a little expensive.

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Waffle House may be more "Down Home" in the South than Cracker Barrel.  The Barrel has good food, but tends to be a little expensive.

Yeah, a little more expensive anyway.

(...BUT, if you want your weekly allotment of artery-hardening starchy foods and ALL at one sitting, there sure ain't no better place than at the Cracker Barrel, boy!!!)

LOL

I was in a course at Ft. Gorden, GA when I was in the Army and there were no quarters on post.  So lived off-base at a trailer park on Tobacco Road.

• Like 1

Just now, Dargo said:

Yeah, a little more expensive anyway.

(...BUT, if you want your weekly allotment of artery-hardening starchy foods and ALL at one sitting, there sure ain't no better place than at the Cracker Barrel, boy!!!)

LOL

It is hard to find a "small" meal there and the others are so much more tempting.

5 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I was in a course at Ft. Gorden, GA when I was in the Army and there were no quarters on post.  So lived off-base at a trailer park on Tobacco Road.

Ya know and speakin' o' which Cid, I always thought these here young lads from jolly old Blighty(and not really Nashville) did a pretty good rendition of that song back in '64...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

LOL

You should join the Cracker Barrel honorary **** program. They punch a hole in your HRP card

on each visit and after ten visits you are named an honorary ****.

I always ordered a burger and fries at Cracker Barrel. Pretty good, though it's hard to ruin a burger.

Sweet tea to drink naturally. The only worry was that one of the old time farm implements might

fall off the wall while one's eating. The CB store had a lot of treats for a chocoholic. 

• Like 1

Didn't know reddnecke would be censored. How about a person of lower economic status

with traditional views residing in a rural area. 

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Didn't know reddnecke would be censored. How about a person of lower economic status

with traditional views residing in a rural area. 

PWT?

With regards to the topic of what-films-content-providers-show "need"  historical commentary  \ wraparounds.

It is a valid question to ask if ALL films that show a group in a stereotypical negative manner should have such commentary.  (versus just films about the black experience or just other people-of-color).

E.g.   my father-in-law;  15 years ago when he lived with us visiting from Italy.   He lived in the USA for a decade so he understood English well.    He wasn't happy that so many WWII war film featured Italians as weak, cowards,   stooges for the Germans,  etc.....    He also wasn't happy with The Sopranos.

Once a content provider goes down the road of 'for this film (or this type of film),   we will have commentary,,,",    what films don't have such commentary now becomes the 'issue' debated on social media.    

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 11:48 AM, cigarjoe said:

Well...

If they made the movie faithful to the book(as far as the women are concerned) you'd SEE how really hot those women were!  ;) 

I've never either visited or lived in that part of the South in the 1930's, so I couldn't say how accurate or not the characters were portrayed.  Like VAUTRIN said up there...."Blame Erskine Caldwell.  And too....

I've never seen a waffle house further North than Kentucky, nor any Cracker Barrel further South than Ohio.  But that's just my observation.   And ....

SORRY DARG, but as far as "Tobacco Road" goes, and like DOBIE GRAY sang in "The In Crowd", ---"The original's still the greatest!"---------

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

I hope they don't cut out Mother Burnside's great line in Auntie Name:

"Mother of Jefferson Davis, she's passing the fox!"

And of course the name of the Burnside plantation is basically a word for southern white trash: Peckerwood.

a totally unfunny film.  only funny part is the babes yelling down to ty ty in the jalopy.

Griselda woulda made a great 50 foot woman though.

:)

Tina Louise swimming in her clothes | 24 Femmes Per Second