Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Grantchester" (2020)

Tom Brittney who plays the vicar detective caught my attention for obvious reasons but his is a good mystery show set in 1950's England- and their is gay subplot ....

• Like 1

James Norton did it for three seasons and he was equally attention-worthy. This past episode Tom spent the good part of a minute in only a towel. Way to go, Vicar.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, DougieB said:

James Norton did it for three seasons and he was equally attention-worthy. This past episode Tom spent the good part of a minute in only a towel. Way to go, Vicar.

Tom is a beauty- those eyes, those lips, that body- too bad he is not part of the gay subplot

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 11:34 AM, jaragon said:

Tom is a beauty- those eyes, those lips, that body- too bad he is not part of the gay subplot

The gay subplot has been drawn out for a number of seasons now, but I think that's part of the point, that in that era everything gay had to be so tentative, with no real hope of resolution in any way which didn't involve subterfuge and secrecy. Both Vicars have been quietly supportive, quiet not because they were ambivalent about the legitimacy of gay love but because discretion was the only thing which was fair to the person(s) involved. It's true that the show overlays a modern point of view on a historical time period, but it's still touching seeing it play out (and heartbreaking too).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't watch the earlier Grantchester seasons, but I have watched the current one (season 5). Brittany is certainly engaging. However, when I watch series like this, I tend to be interested in the murder case, not the soap opera details of each character's life. A gay subplot is always welcome, but I wish it wasn't there. And I wish all the other subplots weren't there, particularly the one related to the detectives home life and his mother-in-law!

Having said all that, I thought Sunday's episode with the convent was actually quite good, and our padre seems finally to lost his virginity -- and to a Catholic nun! (It's ok for him as a good CofE padre.)

grantchester_episode_6_30-e83f5a4-scaled

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Swithin said:

I didn't watch the earlier Grantchester seasons, but I have watched the current one (season 5). Brittany is certainly engaging. However, when I watch series like this, I tend to be interested in the murder case, not the soap opera details of each character's life. A gay subplot is always welcome, but I wish it wasn't there. And I wish all the other subplots weren't there, particularly the one related to the detectives home life and his mother-in-law!

Having said all that, I thought Sunday's episode with the convent was actually quite good, and our padre seems finally to lost his virginity -- and to a Catholic nun! (It's ok for him as a good CofE padre.)

I respect your aversion to the "soap opera" details and subplots but I think that's a big part of what keeps the viewers coming back. This past season was particularly dense with recurring characters and storylines but, personally, I was more interested in watching the season play out as a whole than I was in watching any individual episode play out. To each his own. 

P.S. The nun had been excommunicated and was operating on her own, basically as a shelter for battered women. The actress did a great job of transitioning from creepy to sympathetic.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I respect your aversion to the "soap opera" details and subplots but I think that's a big part of what keeps the viewers coming back. This past season was particularly dense with recurring characters and storylines but, personally, I was more interested in watching the season play out as a whole than I was in watching any individual episode play out. To each his own. 

P.S. The nun had been excommunicated and was operating on her own, basically as a shelter for battered women. The actress did a great job of transitioning from creepy to sympathetic.

I love the settings and many of the characters, even if I think the subplots go too far. That transition of Tracy-Ann Oberman's was excellent. She may have been operating on her own, but she did mention that her dalliance with the local priest made it possible. I did find Leonard's father and that whole bit way too  cliched.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Swithin said:

I love the settings and many of the characters, even if I think the subplots go too far. That transition of Tracy-Ann Oberman's was excellent. She may have been operating on her own, but she did mention that her dalliance with the local priest made it possible. I did find Leonard's father and that whole bit way too  cliched.

I wonder if they're saving the Leonard's father thing as a "subplot" for next season. They definitely took us to the river on that one but didn't let us drink. Or maybe it's just a closed book and the guy will never deal with it.

Your comments made me think back to other shows in this genre which I've liked (Dr. Blake, Miss Fisher, etc.) and I can see that by comparison Grantchester does seem to have more carry-over of backstory from episode to episode. But also from season to season, so that for me personally the detective's home life is interesting because it builds on previous seasons, in which he strayed and had to win back her trust and in which there was a lot of tension around her wanting to go to work, and suffering workplace sexual harassment when she did.  So when the wife shows up it isn't just on her husband's arm from time to time, it's as a real character in her own right. I guess we just disagree on the "value added" aspect of the subplots. (But I have to say that just as I was writing the part about the workplace sexual harassment I had a vision of you rolling your eyes and thinking: "Overkill").

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I wonder if they're saving the Leonard's father thing as a "subplot" for next season. They definitely took us to the river on that one but didn't let us drink. Or maybe it's just a closed book and the guy will never deal with it.

Your comments made me think back to other shows in this genre which I've liked (Dr. Blake, Miss Fisher, etc.) and I can see that by comparison Grantchester does seem to have more carry-over of backstory from episode to episode. But also from season to season, so that for me personally the detective's home life is interesting because it builds on previous seasons, in which he strayed and had to win back her trust and in which there was a lot of tension around her wanting to go to work, and suffering workplace sexual harassment when she did.  So when the wife shows up it isn't just on her husband's arm from time to time, it's as a real character in her own right. I guess we just disagree on the "value added" aspect of the subplots. (But I have to say that just as I was writing the part about the workplace sexual harassment I had a vision of you rolling your eyes and thinking: "Overkill").

Thanks Dougie. I don't mind a bit of backstory, it's just the jumping around from one to another that detracts from the mystery angle and makes it a little too soap-oper-y.  But actually, the murder cases in Grantchester are not that mystifying and engaging anyhow.

Several years ago I worked with Sam Waterston on a project. I had hardly ever watched any of the Law & Order shows. When Sam arrived at my event, people were so thrilled to see him and called him by his Law & Order character name.  I felt at that point that I should begin watching the show, which had many iterations at that point. I particularly liked Law & Order SVU, but became weary of the backstories and home life of Elliot and Olivia. I thought it was overkill to show how their backstories informed the way they behaved toward their cases.

In any case, Grantchester calls to mind Rupert Brooke's poem, "The Old Vicarage, Grantchester". It's hard to believe that so many murders take place in Brooke's idyllic neighbourhood.

"God! I will pack, and take a train,
And get me to England once again!
For England’s the one land, I know,
Where men with Splendid Hearts may go;
And Cambridgeshire, of all England,
The shire for Men who Understand;
And of THAT district I prefer
The lovely hamlet Grantchester."

• Thanks 1

I'm a recent convert to the mystery genre. My mother read all the popular ones: Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen, Nero Wolfe, but somehow it didn't rub off.  I was finally drawn in many years later by the Poirot TV series, though I've still only read a few of the originals. Each episode would have a few tantalizing hints about Poirot's character and history but plot was king and the backstories of the "suspects" were spare and only "as needed". That gives you the thrill of solving the case along with the detective, so I get why unrelated subplots could be a distraction for aficionados. In the case of Grantchester it was what it was from the beginning and I happily went with it, but I can also happily admit that people who are there for the plot could be put off. As long as he takes at least one shower per season, I'm all in.

The shire for Men who Understand....Beautiful.

• Like 1

I  have to catch up with the series I did see an episode last night that had a movie theater as the murder setting and yes the Vicar got all hot and bothered with a girl in an alley - lucky girl

20 hours ago, Swithin said:

I think the soap opera element make it more interesting to me- I wish they would just come up with more ways for the vicar to take off his clothes- yes I know I'm going to Hell🤣

• Haha 1