Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 6/18/2020 at 9:29 PM, Allhallowsday said:

You must not have seen GERMANIA ANNO ZERO or TWO WOMEN...

I was not aware you were expecting a reply.  But I have done you the courtesy of watching Germany Year Zero (1948) again, as I forgot how it ended.  It's sure a downer of a movie, in the true Rossellini tradition.  The ending is shocking and stunning, though not drawn out the same as I Want to Live! (1958).  I'd watch Two Women (1960) again, but I can't take so much at one time.  And I still have to get to the second half of I Want to Live!  I guess I'll get to that tomorrow.

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I was not aware you were expecting a reply.  But I have done you the courtesy of watching Germany Year Zero (1948) again, as I forgot how it ended.  It's sure a downer of a movie, in the true Rossellini tradition.  The ending is shocking and stunning, though not drawn out the same as I Want to Live! (1958).  I'd watch Two Women (1960) again, but I can't take so much at one time.  And I still have to get to the second half of I Want to Live!  I guess I'll get to that tomorrow.

I cannot compare the devastation the ending GERMANIA ANNO ZERO left me with to I WANT TO LIVE, but we agree.  They're both devastating. 

Tell the truth, the only movies I find hard to watch are the last couple of decades' horror flicks that go over the top on the "gross out" factor.  Sure, I know it's all phony, but I can see ugly like that just by viewing the roadkill on the freeway.  And THAT doesn't cost me in excess of $5 + a ticket, or time I won't get back from seeing it on the tube.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Speaking of horror movies, I feel I compelled to mention Hereditary and Midsommar, two films by a writer-director named Ari Aster. They both have gross-out factor to some extent, but for me they're really hard to watch because in each one the protagonists are doomed and/or damned by the manipulation of malevolent forces from the very beginning, and there is no chance at any point in both movies that they could escape their terrible fates. They're both brilliant but extremely depressing in that regard. I don't know that I will ever watch either again (saw both of them in the theater).

Different director, but Funny Games, which just appeared on TCM, very similar in that regard.