Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today’s fetv Green Acres (1969) episode (S4 E17), “Law Partners”…”Tessy’s Taco Parlor, which is only open during picking season when we import our ********” - Mr. Haney :o

Oddly, the missing word created an unintended emphasis as viewers repeatedly rewound the segment searching for clarity and understanding. :blink:

6 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

Today’s fetv Green Acres (1969) episode (S4 E17), “Law Partners”…”Tessy’s Taco Parlor, which is only open during picking season when we import our ********” - Mr. Haney’s. :o

Oddly, the missing word created an unintended emphasis as viewers repeatedly rewound the segment searching for clarity and understanding. :blink:

Isn't this self-imposed 'censorship'?    I.e. it is NOT due to the FCC or the government but because the content-owner or content-provider decided to censor something.

I don't like any type of 'censorship' but self-imposed doesn't bug me.   Government imposed censorship (the type conservatives have used for centuries),  does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not having FETV, I have either no idea what the episode was about, nor what the "starred" out word in your post is supposed to be. Neither IMDb or WIKI was able to offer any clarity. 

So, are you stating the channel muted the "offending" word?   I notice that on a lot of other channels.  But personally, I can't think of ANY word used on that program that would constitute the need for censorship.  So, if you have any idea wht that word was supposed to be, please let us know!   BTW----

I know you're aware this site utilizes an "auto-censor" that can be annoying most times. And that one way around it is to space each letter in the offending word.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I've seen the episode, both edited and unedited.  The word begins with a W, and ends with a K, and is a derogatory term for someone from Mexico.

Often, it's the distributors or syndication companies that do this, and not a station, network or channel, as many television operations today don't have the fat budgets and personnel available to make these edits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

I've seen the episode, both edited and unedited.  The word begins with a W, and ends with a K, and is a derogatory term for someone from Mexico.

Often, it's the distributors or syndication companies that do this, and not a station, network or channel, as many television operations today don't have the fat budgets and personnel available to make these edits.

I wonder what the laws are with regards on who has the legal right to alter content.    I would think such right would be limited to only the owner of the product (who could,  by permission,  grant temporary rights to alter content to others).

E.g.  About 15 or 20 years ago some video stores were in Utah were altering movie content to create family-friendly versions.    The Directors Guild of America sued these stores  and won;   3rd parties had no rights to alter content  (the 3rd party only had a right to place a sticker on the package warning about content).

I found this funny at the time related to Orson Welles and the concept of directors-cuts.     As most of us know during the studio-era most directors had no rights over the films they directed.      This was the main reason Welles signed film deals with independent producers,  retaining film rights (unlike RKO that had total control).    Hitchcock made all sorts of legal moves over the years to gain more and more control of his films.      Studio-era,  under-contract directors had no such control or powers.     I.e. if such a director wanted to release a  'directors-cut' they would need permission from the studio. 

3 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

Today’s fetv Green Acres (1969) episode (S4 E17), “Law Partners”…”Tessy’s Taco Parlor, which is only open during picking season when we import our ********” - Mr. Haney :o

Hmmm, ya gotta wonder if maybe that line had read instead,  "Tessy's Taco Parlor, which is only open during picking season and when we import our rapists and criminals, and some who I assume are good people to pick our crops, Mr. Haney", might have passed the censors???

(...eeeh, probably not, and considering the only guy who could somehow get away with a line like that was still doing his level best to avoid the Vietnam War draft and with this being WAY before he'd dip his poor bone-spurred heel into the entertainment field waters to make a name for himself)

LOL <---forgive me, but I just crack myself up with some of the stuff I come up with around here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Isn't this self-imposed 'censorship'?    I.e. it is NOT due to the FCC or the government but because the content-owner or content-provider decided to censor something.

I don't like any type of 'censorship' but self-imposed doesn't bug me.   Government imposed censorship (the type conservatives have used for centuries),  does.

There is "self-imposed" vs. imposed by outside influences in order to be politically correct.

14 minutes ago, TheCid said:

There is "self-imposed" vs. imposed by outside influences in order to be politically correct.

I don't agree with you use of terms here;    I.e. imposed does NOT belong with influence.

I.e. outside groups (activist like BLM,  JDL, etc...),  can try to influence but they can't impose.

Of course it all comes down to how one defines 'impose'; 

Here is the definition I'm using:   force (something unwelcome or unfamiliar) to be accepted or put in place.

The government can impose (force something) by use of fines or jail.

Activist can only influence.      Now some activist try to get the government to impose on their behalf.       It is up to sound government to reject such calls for censorship and in the vast majority of the cases this is true.      Sometimes politicians will talk about it (E.g.  Chuck Schumer trying to outlaw an American from joining the boycott of Israel movement),  but the good thing about the USA is that these typically go nowhere due and if they do,  are overturned due to the 1st Amendment. 

PS:   such influences by activist are what I'm calling capitalism at work.    E.g. if one doesn't like what FETV is doing,  write them a letter and don't watch them until they change their policy OR find another media outlet for Green Acres shows (e.g. purchase the uncensored DVDs).   

22 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't agree with you use of terms here;    I.e. imposed does NOT belong with influence.

I.e. outside groups (activist like BLM,  JDL, etc...),  can try to influence but they can't impose.

Of course it all comes down to how one defines 'impose'; 

Here is the definition I'm using:   force (something unwelcome or unfamiliar) to be accepted or put in place.

The government can impose (force something) by use of fines or jail.

Activist can only influence.      Now some activist try to get the government to impose on their behalf.       It is up to sound government to reject such calls for censorship and in the vast majority of the cases this is true.      Sometimes politicians will talk about it (E.g.  Chuck Schumer trying to outlaw an American from joining the boycott of Israel movement),  but the good thing about the USA is that these typically go nowhere due and if they do,  are overturned due to the 1st Amendment. 

PS:   such influences by activist are what I'm calling capitalism at work.    E.g. if one doesn't like what FETV is doing,  write them a letter and don't watch them until they change their policy OR find another media outlet for Green Acres shows (e.g. purchase the uncensored DVDs).   

I am responding to the broader activities of imposing censorship, such as what is happening with many movies, TV shows, changing names and so forth.

You picked the term imposed as opposed to required or forced.   Doing something you had not intended to do because of the influence of others or groups is imposed censorship.

Would all of these things be happening if not for all the protests and all the media attention?  No.

It may very well be the right thing and a good thing, but it is imposed by outside influences, not self-imposed.

CyLn5GVQ_bigger.png

Uncle Ben’s announces plan to change branding of the rice, a move that follows a similar announcement from the company that owns Aunt Jemima’s syrup.

3:13 PM · Jun 17, 2020·SocialFlow

last nite I encountered censorship. I decided to watch National lampoon's vacation on demand and it was too unacceptably edited for me. when clark gets out of his wagon queen family truckster and enquires of a local businessman with two babes on each side where he might get back on the expressway the guy says "bleep your mama!"

so I discontinued watching.

:D

National lampoons vacation, Clark asks for directions.flv - YouTube

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

130-year old iconic Aunt Jemima victimized by origins of racial stereotyping is forced into retirement - Uncle Ben’s fate questioned.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlFXNtkyg375JffFL957x

Victimized?     Really, labels change all the time.       AGAIN,  it was done for marketing purposes;  the same reason labels change all the time.

In addition anyone that would buy this crap (especially the syrup instead of actual maple syrup),  has no taste to begin with.

PS:  but my in-laws in Italy really like this brand;  Each year my wife would ask me to purchase some so we could bring it to Italy.   At first I refused since I couldn't understand why Italians would want to each this crap!     But they lived in Chicago and game to enjoy pancakes with that sweet sugar syrup.  

One year I also took along real Maine maple syrup.    Well they didn't like it;  it wasn't sweet enough!     Taught me a leason;  Just bring folks what they ask for,  don't try to educate them.   Stop being an elite! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

last nite I encountered censorship. I decided to watch National lampoon's vacation on demand and it was to unacceptably edited for me. when clark gets out of his wagon queen family truckster and enquires of a local businessman with two babes on each side where he might get back on the expressway the guy says "bleep your mama!"

so I discontinued watching.

:D

National lampoons vacation, Clark asks for directions.flv - YouTube

Yes,  use the power of the market-place to let your views known,  just like the activist are doing. 

That is how change happens.   Hopefully some companies will see that they have gone too far and get back some degree of balance. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. I recently saw the 1968 "Petticoat Junction" installment (Season 6, Episode 7) that introduced June Lockhart as the new doctor for the town of Hooterville. She sometimes was treated as if she was a space alien.

Knowing Mr. Haney I thought it might have been ghost workers. Guess not.

Yeah, the Grandma's cookie woman gets younger looking every couple of years.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Well it seems that Robert Morley's line about Aunt Jemima in 1978's Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe was prescient.....

If Morley believed Aunt Jemima was a great chefs he has very poor taste.    Of course given his size,  maybe he was into junk food.

But seriously,    does any one really believe such marketing figures are iconic culture figures?      Yesterday I was watching Password plus,  from the late 70s and the 'plus' answer was Mr.  Whipple.      My wife asked who that was.     She was living in Italy when he became iconic (well iconic enough to be a Password plus answer!).

The point:  such marketing figures come and go.    They are NOT actual living human beings but made up characters and thus no 'history' is being erase.

(oh,  wait,,,,but Mr.  Clean is real,,,,,   he lives in Boston!).

TV Pitchman "Mr. Whipple" Dies In L.A. - CityNews Toronto

4 hours ago, TheCid said:

Its simply a business decision. To attract the widest audience possible. To stay in the middle of the road.

In the old days,  a production code mandated what could be shown in a film. That censorship.

Filmmakers like Disney tend to make all their content G or PG rated. No censorship. Simply a business decision that seems to be working out well for them.

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

If Morley believed Aunt Jemima was a great chefs he has very poor taste.    Of course given his size,  maybe he was into junk food.

But seriously,    does any one really believe such marketing figures are iconic culture figures?      Yesterday I was watching Password plus,  from the late 70s and the 'plus' answer was Mr.  Whipple.      My wife asked who that was.     She was living in Italy when he became iconic (well iconic enough to be a Password plus answer!).

The point:  such marketing figures come and go.    They are NOT actual living human beings but made up characters and thus no 'history' is being erase.

(oh,  wait,,,,but Mr.  Clean is real,,,,,   he lives in Boston!).

TV Pitchman "Mr. Whipple" Dies In L.A. - CityNews Toronto

Aunt Jemima has been around for 130 years. We're talking the Gay '90s here.

And she'd likely be around for another 130 if some folks had their druthers.

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Aunt Jemima has been around for 130 years. We're talking the Gay '90s here.

And she'd likely be around for another 130 if some folks had their druthers.

I've also heard the estate of Ronald Colman hasn't been too pleased of late with that toucan up there either.

(...let alone the Men With Funny Hats Association with that damn crazy ship captain or the Quaker up there)

• Haha 1