Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
adamski1959

Repetitive Programming

It seems to me that the movie’s being shown have become repetitive. How many times can they run Lawrence of Arabia, North by Northwest,  or the Magnificent Seven? I know these are great movies but there are so many more. Does anyone else agree?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, adamski1959 said:

It seems to me that the movie’s being shown have become repetitive. How many times can they run Lawrence of Arabia, North by Northwest,  or the Magnificent Seven? I know these are great movies but there are so many more. Does anyone else agree?

Welcome to the message boards Adam. This topic has been discussed in many threads already.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, adamski1959 said:

After 15 years of watching TCM, I just now realized this! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

All teasing aside, they do shift their favorites from time to time. I remember a friend and I who were big TCM junkies 10 years ago would ask one another, "What do you want to watch tonight? The Letter at 5PM or The Letter at 9PM or tune in tomorrow and watch Silent Sundays where they show The General, followed by next week with The General...?"

Now due to COVID19, I'm convinced that's why Singin' in the Rain has aired probably like 3 or 4 times in the last couple of months.

5 hours ago, adamski1959 said:

We have a guy that has an entire database of all the films TCM has shown over the years and about 6 weeks ago I asked him to do an actual analysis to determine if TCM has become more repetitive.    E.g.   say,  back in 2015,  the percentage of films shown 6 times or more during the year.  Then 5  times, then 4,,,,,etc...  

Having such data by year would provide an actual answer.     I need to check if he is still working on this.

NOW with that being said,,,,, ,   based on my perception it does appear TCM has gotten more repetitive.       

• Like 2

Another boring schedule this week but they've got a Michael Haneke premiere on Sunday so I'm not angry.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, adamski1959 said:

Yes.
http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

On 6/20/2020 at 4:45 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

We have a guy that has an entire database of all the films TCM has shown over the years and about 6 weeks ago I asked him to do an actual analysis to determine if TCM has become more repetitive.    E.g.   say,  back in 2015,  the percentage of films shown 6 times or more during the year.  Then 5  times, then 4,,,,,etc...  

Having such data by year would provide an actual answer.     I need to check if he is still working on this.

NOW with that being said,,,,, ,   based on my perception it does appear TCM has gotten more repetitive.       

What, no links??

Oddly enough I was just thinking of that post, which seemed like a tedious idea at the time.  Here it is:

https://forums.tcm.com/topic/263940-how-do-we-complain-about-the-programming-it-is-happening-more-and-more-where-i-have-to-change-the-channel-from-tcm-to-anything-intelligent-that-i-can-find-as-there-are-no-classic-movies-showing-anywhere-why-is-that-happening-more-and-more/?do=findComment&comment=2193636

What we are interested now is the percentage of 'repeats' for feature-length movies during a year.

E.g.   take all the unique feature-length movies shown  during a year (for ease,  lets say that is 1,000).

Then how many of these 1000 unique movies were shown more than 5 times during the year;   say that is 20.     That would be 0.02%

Repeat for shown 5 times,  4 times,  3 times or 2 times.

This way we could tell if there were more repeats in,  say  2019,  than there were in prior years.

Thanks  

This is the report in question:
http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/1)movies-only.htm

As it stands, per your question, one can already derive from this report a "lump sum" percent of all the time slots (per year) which are repeats:

("including repeats" - "unique") / "including repeats"

Or just visually compare the two sets of numbers ("unique" vs. "including repeats"). 

I can understand adding another column to perform the math above, but is there any common sense purpose in further breaking that down into various different numbers of repetition?  That just looks like a tangent and extra work to me.

That is about the extent of what I had in mind here.  Nothing fancy, just some quick numbers, not a "mutant ninja" spreadsheet to cross-examine TCM's scheduling practices. http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-bat-twisted.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, adamski1959 said:

If it was a holiday, I'd assume they were putting the 3-4 hour movies on to give the staff the day off...Sort of the same reason ABC used to show "The Sound of Music" every Thanksgiving.

I think Adam might be a "hit and run" poster. But at least Movie Collector has provided the data.

posters oughta be making lists of all the movies tcm does not show like Hot Spell and the K. Gordon Murray imported mexican horror flicks.

• Like 1

Well, personally, I've noticed the repetition being on the upswing.  Same movies being shown twice in the same week, or a week after a previous showing.  

One of my still favorite responses to this was a few or so years ago when resident "class clown" DARGO posted a scene of little ZuZu being held by Dad George Bailey( Jimmy Stewart in "It's A Wonderful Life")  and had her saying.....

"LOOK Daddy!  Teacher says every time a BELL rings, it means TCM will show NORTH BY NORTHWEST!"  :D 

I do wonder however, given the size of it's library, and the availability of so many other "classic" films, why the many frequent showings of such a few keeps happening.  

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

On 6/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, adamski1959 said:

How many times can they run Lawrence of Arabia

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is shown a lot... I watched it AGAIN last night!  That movie is gorgeous and endlessly watchable.  I discover something new every time.

I'd guess most forum members would agree that many movies are repeated too often.  OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES was on today.  Again.  LIFE WITH FATHER was on today.  Again.  I ended up watching bits of both... great movies. 

12 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

posters oughta be making lists of all the movies tcm does not show like Hot Spell and the K. Gordon Murray imported mexican horror flicks.

Seems like one poster has already done that for us at least a hundred billion times more than TCM has shown North by Northwest.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:45 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

As per my last post, I've added the "percentage repeat" calculations to just this one report, as an ongoing feature.  I just needed some down time to get into "the zone", fellow keyboard warriors can probably relate.
http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/1)movies-only.htm

Personally I like to see bigger numbers in the "unique" column, that insures best variety in production date ranges of interest over anything else.  The percentage repeated is another indicator of scheduling activity, though it might just indicate filler for other production date ranges you are not as interested in nonetheless.

• Thanks 1

We also need to bear in mind that like every other distributer/channel, TCM rents "packages" of movies bundled together with broadcasting agreements. These packages have no commonality in genre, age, subject matter, etc. 

Typically, there are several "stinkers" included in the bundle along with the actual desired movie.

For example, in order to receive rights to broadcast say CASABLANCA once in 90 days, they must broadcast other titles in the bundle, sometimes multiple times!

Obviously NBNW and LOA are included in some package that also contains some desirable titles TCM wants to show their audience. That's why requesting certain titles can be frustrating... TCM just can't rent ONE movie for one broadcast to satisfy one viewer.

TCM created UNDERGROUND for these not-quite-classic titles and Mystery Science Theater was created in order for the local station to show the stinkers they received in a bundle rental. Creative!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's some interesting insight. TCM runs a promo for Underground that claims the lineup carefully culled to represent all forms of outre cinema. Not that it's a dumping ground for films TCM is forced to show in order to get something else! But it certainly makes sense.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is shown a lot... I watched it AGAIN last night!  That movie is gorgeous and endlessly watchable.  I discover something new every time.

I

I know several folks who'd say the movie just seems endless.  B)

Sepiatone

I've told this anecdote before, but when I was in college, a friend of mine who's a classic movie fan like myself talked a guy we both knew into tagging along for re-release of Lawrence in the theaters. My friend was very excited to get to see it on the big screen. The other guy was a bit leery, having heard it was very long and often slow-moving. So, they go through the whole attack on Akaba from behind and Lawrence finally gets back to Cairo with his young servant, and Claude Rains and the military brass all walk around with him still decked out in his Arab finery while hundreds of soldiers gawk from above, and the second guy is getting excited because this appears to be the end of the movie ... and then the word "Intermission" appears on the screen, and the other guy starts screaming at my friend: "INTERMISSION???? YOU MEAN IT'S ONLY HALFWAY OVER????" I'm not sure the guy ever really forgave my friend.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

That's some interesting insight. TCM runs a promo for Underground that claims the lineup carefully culled to represent all forms of outre cinema. Not that it's a dumping ground for films TCM is forced to show in order to get something else! But it certainly makes sense.

Well sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like a "dumping ground". I think TCM would normally have a "cult film " spotlight, much like Silent Sundays & Foreign films. But I do think some of them are just "available" titles from a package, some are a bit of a stretch.

Programmers know they're going to get some dreck, some good titles and a few big titles. I've been told Casablanca is part of a super expensive package, which is why it isn't shown often. Meh.

I bet MCOhio could run titles & figure out what's bundled together...interesting..... 

i think that the reason it seems this way is that there are a few titles that show up a few times in quick succession and then take a few months off.

You'll see this on most movie channels.  Starz Encore would run a bunch of Hitchcock films in a block (they also have a 6 or 12 hour block-repeat type schedule) for a couple of months and then they disappear, and return 6 months or a year later.

I think the reason that the programming seems repetitive is that the same movies are being shown over and over. But that's just a guess on my part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

You'll see this on most movie channels.  Starz Encore would run a bunch of Hitchcock films in a block (they also have a 6 or 12 hour block-repeat type schedule) for a couple of months and then they disappear, and return 6 months or a year later.

TCM never used to be this way.

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

TCM never used to be this way.

Right....because they had their OWN LIBRARY.🙄

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Right....because they had their OWN LIBRARY.🙄

They still have their own library.

My comment, which you seem to have misconstrued, is that TCM never used to be so repetitive.

But I think the reason this is happening is because during/after the pandemic they wanted to show more crowd-pleaser feel-good movies. And if these films make people smile or make people feel more light-hearted, then why not rerun them again. Etc.

So their themes have become a bit more bland and predictable than usual. I am sure things will revert back to how they were. In a few months.

And then they will be picking darker, more serious fare from the library. Especially in October.

14 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

That's the way it was (and might still be) when we first got cable in my area.  The "premium" movie channels then were HBO, SHOWTIME, TMC(The Movie Channel) and CINEMAX.  At that time there wasn't yet any "2", "3" or more for HBO and Showtime.  And many movies would be shown three or more times a week. 

Then a few years later they expanded their shows and services.  Like-----

When I split from my wife in '86 and moved to Southwest Detroit, the city of Detroit had yet to have any cable service available.  But there was a company that would come to your house and install a huge antenna in order to get HBO.  We( me and Alicia) decided to give it a try, but had them come back and take it all down a week later because there was never anything on except FIRST AND TEN or the WIMBELDON  matches.  :wacko:

Sepiatone