Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Andre Soares book, if that is the one you are mentioning. Read much of it, but not all. In hindsight, his career was probably no different than so many other Hollywood stars. Some like Bette Davis really battled the system and remained employed up until their seventies. Roman managed to stay afloat with some TV shows in his final years but he really did struggle post-MGM. Granted, he always had a roof over his head and money in the bank but his alcoholism took its toll. I suspect, had he not been murdered so suddenly... and only because he wasn't getting out of the house much and was desperate for some companionship in a pre-Stonewall era,  he might have deteriorated further health-wise unless he had some dramatic turnaround at a clinic or found somebody to help him change his lifestyle for the better. His shocking death was obviously overshadowed by the Charles Manson oriented ones eight months later.

THE FLYING FEET is quite TOP GUN-ish too.

• Like 2

Interesting that Novarro was playing all the Tom Cruise All American roles.   His career as leading man faded with his youthful beauty in the 1930s.  The alcoholism did not help.  In the 1940s he does some minor supporting character roles but I guess he had invested his money wisely.  MGM could have offered him at least a cameo in their remake of "Ben Hur".   In the 1960s he was guest starring in tv shows but his health had deteriorated by the time of his murder. He seemed to have need companionship more than sex according to the Soares book he only had one long term relationship.

• Like 1

Since most of his films are still Warner owned and pretty much available on DVD, you will just find little clips from them here and there on YouTube. There is another from The Flying Fleet, under the title "1920s Navy physical examination", that shows him topless as in Ben-Hur and The Pagan. Actually clips like these encourage folks to seek out the DVD and make wonderful sales promotion. From what I gather, The Pagan is his top seller. Check out the reviews on Amazon. You would think it was the greatest movie of 1929 from the way the satisfied customers are gushing. (Yes, I admit that I have that one in my collection.)

• Like 1

I was debating on uploading it when I posted earlier, but I realized you would have ssssoooooo much more fun searching for it yourself. Like a little diamond of delight found in the vast rocky terrain of YouTube. Eventually you may stumble on another involving a pagan clip by the water... * hint hint *

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jlewis said:

I was debating on uploading it when I posted earlier, but I realized you would have ssssoooooo much more fun searching for it yourself. Like a little diamond of delight found in the vast rocky terrain of YouTube. Eventually you may stumble on another involving a pagan clip by the water... * hint hint *

There is a great image of Ralph  Graves pulling of Novarro's pants which suggest all sorts of possibilities- interesting watching these silent era films and realizing that Hollywood has always been putting young male stars in settings they can easily get naked.

Novarro goes native in "The Pagan" - the South Sea adventure romance another Hollywood genre that allow the studios to put their best looking bodies on display

• Like 1