Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WE COULD USE A WARREN OATES TCM DAY, ANYBODY AGREE?

This may also fill in topbilled's slot on SUTS

WARREN OATES (l930-l982)  was a great & mostly underappreciated actor, Ebert & Siskel after OATES death tried to get mementum back for DILLINGER-(looked a lot more like JOHN DILLINGER for real then Depp & L. Tierney too)

JUST A FEW & SPEAKING OF SAM PECKINPAH at times they seemed joined at the hip, pals, lifestyles,etc)

TV WESTERNS

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY

IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT

WILD BUNCH

TWO-LANE BLACKTOP-(L. Maltin outright said he shoulda won the Oscar)

BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA-(this is the one where GIG YOUNG portrays a guy named FRED C. DOBBS)

THE BRINK'S JOB

STRIPES

BLUE THUNDER

& of course many more

thanx

• Like 1

I loved his turn as the tough-as-nails sergeant in STRIPES, that was my first introduction to him.

But I have seen him in so many other films and older tv shows since then, and he was a very fine actor. I agree he was and is far too underappreciated even in this day and age.

• Like 2

According to Wikipedia, there was also a 3 film salute to Oates on 14 January 2017:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillinger_(1973_film)

Dillinger was a big deal at the time for me and my friends, as parts of it were filmed in my hometown.  That was very exciting for an 8 year old.  A few of my classmates were crowd extras (recruited from the community theater crowd).

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/21/2020 at 10:04 AM, jakeem said:

Guess you missed it when Oates was the Summer Under the Stars subject for August 24, 2015:

These clips only remind me of how much I miss Robert Osborne and how bland the new ones are in comparison.