Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

WHICH DO FANS MORE WANT FULLY BACK< PVT. SCRENINGS OR GUEST PROGRAMMERS???

1st of all i know Private screenings was probably Osorne's concept, but since he left the bldg us sans are now going without    NOT FAIR

& on his note & once again because it seemed to shock many, Robet Osborne's movie idol was the vastly underrated & underrated WILLIAM HOLDEN_l9l8-l98l) 

& though I'm no fan of BEN MANKIEWICZ, at least there would be an extention 7 an honor to keep Osbo's concept going

I too would like to see more Private Screenings episodes, or its equivalent.  Technically, I think Private Screenings as a series ended in 2010, with the taping of Robert’s interview of Liza Minelli.  That same year, TCM started producing an annual series of shows recorded at the TCM Film Festival, where one of the big-name guests at the Festival is interviewed in front of an audience, with a similar style of using film clips to illustrate the star’s career.  That approach continued after Robert’s final interview with Alan Arkin at the festival in 2014 (with Ben assuming the role in 2015) up through Ben’s interview of Michael Douglas in 2017.

To be fair, there was also a special Private Screenings episode shown in 2014, where Alec Baldwin interviewed Robert Osborne as the guest, and a “Best Of” Private Screenings was shown in 2019, but this was just clips from previous episodes.

Sadly, it seems that there have been no additional episodes of the Film Festival interview series recorded after the TCM Film Festival in 2017.  Of course the 2020 Film Festival was cancelled, so who knows if an episode was planned for this year or not.

If I had to guess why TCM seems to have stopped producing these interview shows, the obvious answer is the cost of the production - both in preparation time and money.  I assume it must be difficult for TCM to obtain multiple permissions to show the various film clips, and the effort to record and edit the show for broadcast must be significant.  In an era of declining cable subscriptions it must be more difficult to acquire the budget for such “extras”.

I also wonder how these “looking back” shows play with newer TCM viewers.  For those of us who are familiar with the stars these interviews are wonderful at celebrating a great career, but perhaps newer TCM viewers cannot relate.

I am happy to say that this year we were treated to a new alternative to the interview show, that being the podcast series that Ben did with Peter Bogdanovich.  I personally was impressed with this first series and to me it appears that a significant amount of time and effort went into the production.  Although it is not the same as being able to see the interviewer, star, and film clips all together at once, I did find the podcast approach to be very entertaining for TCM’s first attempt, and I hope they will do another series in the future.

But I do miss the Private Screenings / Film Festival interviews and here’s hoping that perhaps some day these can return in some form as well.

Osbo often spoke about 2 top interviews, the first one with J. Russell & Robert Mitchum, where he says Bob stonewalled him thruogh the interview first interview, but came back & all was ok

& Mickey Rooney's explosions Osborne actually made him more than nervous

(P.S. WHO TRULY THINKS AS I DO & NOPE< NOT BEN M BUT SCORSESE OR BOGDANOVICH SHOULD PICK UP THE BALL?)

I would love to see TCM and Ben M. do more interviews like the old Private Screenings.  Ben has interviewed a few people on TCM and currently he has the interesting podcast with Peter Bogdanovich, The Plot Thickens.   What people would you like to see (or hear) Ben interview?  

48 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I would love to see TOM and Ben M. do more interviews like the old Private Screenings.  Ben has interviewed a few people on TCM and currently he has the interesting podcast with Peter Bogdonavich, The Plot Thickens.   What people would you like to see (or hear) Ben interview?  

though there no mr osborne, they ,ust bring back the format & even more so GUEST PROGRAMMERS

For ,e the GP's were even superior, but what a bout yourself  & thanks toone of my friends on here, maybeTopBilled, he sent me the ENTIRE list of GP'S & even a breakdown of the 3 or 4 films they chose to air

TOP, was that you?

1 hour ago, spence said:

For ,e the GP's were even superior, but what a bout yourself  & thanks toone of my friends on here, maybeTopBilled, he sent me the ENTIRE list of GP'S & even a breakdown of the 3 or 4 films they chose to air

TOP, was that you?

Spence,  here's the link to the complete list of Guest Programmers:

I miss Private Screenings. There are so many stars still here from the past that I would like to hear from. We need a host whose knowledge matches Osborne.

I want to hear from legend Sidney Poitier, Ann-Margaret, child actors Dean Stockwell, Russ Tamblyn,  and Ron Howard, legend Cicely Tyson,  Sean Connery, Anthony Hopkins, Gene Hackman, Harry Belafonte, Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews. Clint Eastwood, Joanne Woodward and maybe Ann Blyth and Carroll Baker.

Mitzi Gaynor, Joan Collins, Shirley Jones, Sophia Loren, James Earl Jones, Jack Nicholson,  and Patrick Wayne, 

Who would do the chair justice as host.

• Like 1

96yr old eva marie saint is another and osborne's  friend olivia de havilland, now 104

On 6/21/2020 at 12:29 PM, Peebs said:

Spence,  here's the link to the complete list of Guest Programmers:

thanks

wasn't trump in there around 07

1 hour ago, spence said:

wasn't trump in there around 07

November 3, 2007: Donald Trump: Films Chosen: The African Queen (1951), Gone With The Wind (1939), Citizen Kane (1941) 

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

November 3, 2007: Donald Trump: Films Chosen: The African Queen (1951), Gone With The Wind (1939), Citizen Kane (1941) 

thanks, knew he was on one

• Like 1