Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I remember right?  Laurel And Hardy actually started out as a silent film comedy duo right and then they went to movies with sound or were they always a silent film comedy duo?  Remember when they guest starred on The New Scooby Doo Movies?  That’s actually how I knew who they were.

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

Remember when they guest starred on The New Scooby Doo Movies?  That’s actually how I knew who they were.

Y'know, I was just about to guess that.   😔

And before you ask, all TCM owns is their big-budget films Hal Roach did for MGM, so if you're not in the mood for The Devil's Brother or Bonnie Scotland, can't help ya.

9 hours ago, David Guercio said:

If I remember right?  Laurel And Hardy actually started out as a silent film comedy duo right and then they went to movies with sound or were they always a silent film comedy duo?

While they both started out in silent films they were not paired as a comedy team until they went to work for Hal Roach. Even then their paring was a gradual occurrence.

They did appear in the same silent, LUCKY DOG (1921). That was just happenstance with no eye on their future collaboration.

The Lucky Dog • Another Nice Mess

https://vimeo.com/129975262

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Remember when they guest starred on The New Scooby Doo Movies?  That’s actually how I knew who they were.

Yeah, of course I remember that. How ever could I forget that? "The day Laurel and Hardy were on the Scooby Doo show" is forever etched into my memory.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Yeah, of course I remember that. How ever could I forget that? "The day Laurel and Hardy were on the Scooby Doo show" is forever etched into my memory.

I remember the Sonny & Cher episode, but that one's still blocked off the Warner disk by Viacom.

I thought TCM had  signed a long term deal to show all the Roach films. For some time we were getting the Charley Chase shorts, Todd/Pitts/Kelly shorts and L&H but I must have misunderstood as I haven't seen much of any of them in some time. 

There are quite a few of L&H's silent shorts on Amazon Prime.

23 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Wow.  Since they both were dead long before Scooby Doo ever came into existence, they must have looked pretty rank. :o

You must either be much younger than me, or lived a tragically deprived childhood.  ;) 

Sepiatone

HAVE YOU SEEN THE UTTERLY MARVELOUS IVIE  STAN & OLLIE YET?  THE ACADEMY SHOULDA BEEN 100% ASHAMED IN NO NOMS>>>

& for decades rge duo's fan c,lub SONS OF THE DESERT lead in terms of membership

Thanks for answering my question everybody and for that picture of when they were on The New Scooby Doo Movies.  They might be SOTM this December.  Either them or Abbott And Castello.  For those of you who are members of TCM Backlot.  Which is so fun and so cool.  You probably voted.  I voted for Abbott And Castello.  Because their great too.  But if Laurel And Hardy win and are SOTM this December?  That will be great too.  Because their great too.

I loved the one with Laurel and Hardy on the  NEW SCOOBY DOO MOVIES even though I knew the real Laurel and Hardy had passed on by that time. 

I love anything with Laurel and Hardy in it. I'm surprised they haven't had a film biography done of either or both of them.

5 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I loved the one with Laurel and Hardy on the  NEW SCOOBY DOO MOVIES even though I knew the real Laurel and Hardy had passed on by that time. 

I love anything with Laurel and Hardy in it. I'm surprised they haven't had a film biography done of either or both of them.

Are you joking? There was a Stan and Ollie bipoic last year.

4 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Are you joking? There was a Stan and Ollie bipoic last year.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Haven't seen it as of yet.

Still, I would have thought someone would have done a biography of them years ago.

Question. I've been watching a lot of Laurel and Hardy shorts lately and in many of them there is the same funny drunk guy. Does anyone know who he is?

38 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Question. I've been watching a lot of Laurel and Hardy shorts lately and in many of them there is the same funny drunk guy. Does anyone know who he is?

That might be Arthur Housman, he was in The Live Ghost and a few others

Arthur Housman

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2020 at 6:44 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

That might be Arthur Housman, he was in The Live Ghost and a few others

Arthur Housman

Yes, definitely Arthur Housman. He's also in other Hal Roach-produced films, working especially well with Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly in some of their Roach shorts.  Although best known for his comical drunk act, he also could play serious roles such as gangsters, night club owners, etc.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, movieman1957 said:

I thought TCM had  signed a long term deal to show all the Roach films. For some time we were getting the Charley Chase shorts, Todd/Pitts/Kelly shorts and L&H but I must have misunderstood as I haven't seen much of any of them in some time.

TCM does still run Hal Roach shorts (and features too) but as you noted, they don't get to the shorts as often as we'd like. But, keep watching their schedule, so you don't miss when they do run them.

On 6/22/2020 at 7:43 PM, David Guercio said:

Thanks for answering my question everybody and for that picture of when they were on The New Scooby Doo Movies.  They might be SOTM this December.  Either them or Abbott And Castello.  For those of you who are members of TCM Backlot.  Which is so fun and so cool.  You probably voted.  I voted for Abbott And Castello.  Because their great too.  But if Laurel And Hardy win and are SOTM this December?  That will be great too.  Because their great too.

😠  AIEEEEEEE!

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Ray Faiola said:

They're, they're, relax now.

Because there great too.

Did I mention there great too?  Y'know, just because.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, movieman1957 said:

Good news for fans of the Hal Roach comedies. On September 14 TCM has several hours of shorts scheduled, including a lot of Roach shorts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EricJ said:

Because there great too.

Did I mention there great too?  Y'know, just because.

I think for his birthday, I'll get him a thesaurus. :ph34r: 

8 hours ago, Sukhov said:

I think for his birthday, I'll get him a thesaurus. :ph34r: 

Whoa.  Cool!  (I'm in my 50's too, btw.)