Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Eskimo Pie to rename its 'derogatory' brand name

The owner of Eskimo Pie is changing its name and marketing of the nearly century-old chocolate-covered ice cream bar, the latest brand to reckon with racially charged logos and marketing.

“We are committed to being a part of the solution on racial equality, and recognize the term is derogatory,” said Elizabell Marquez, head of marketing for its parent Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, the U.S. subsidiary for Froneri, in a statement. “This move is part of a larger review to ensure our company and brands reflect our people values.”

The treat was patented by Christian Kent Nelson of Ohio and his business partner Russell C. Stover in 1922, according to Smithsonian Magazine.

Eskimo Pie joins a growing list of brands that are rethinking their marketing in the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests in recent weeks triggered by the death of George Floyd. Quaker Oats announced Wednesday that it will retire the Aunt Jemima brand, saying the company recognizes the character’s origins are “based on a racial stereotype.”

Other companies are reviewing their name or logo. Geechie Boy Mill, a family-owned operation in South Carolina that makes locally-grown and milled white grits, said Wednesday it is “listening and reviewing our overall branding,” though no decisions have been made. Geechie is a dialect spoken mainly by the descendants of African American slaves who settled on the Ogeechee River in Georgia, according to Merriam-Webster.com.

Did anyone bother to ask the Eskimo's about this?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

The owner of Eskimo Pie is changing its name and marketing of the nearly century-old chocolate-covered ice cream bar, the latest brand to reckon with racially charged logos and marketing.

“We are committed to being a part of the solution on racial equality, and recognize the term is derogatory,” said Elizabell Marquez, head of marketing for its parent Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, the U.S. subsidiary for Froneri, in a statement. “This move is part of a larger review to ensure our company and brands reflect our people values.”

The treat was patented by Christian Kent Nelson of Ohio and his business partner Russell C. Stover in 1922, according to Smithsonian Magazine.

Eskimo Pie joins a growing list of brands that are rethinking their marketing in the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests in recent weeks triggered by the death of George Floyd. Quaker Oats announced Wednesday that it will retire the Aunt Jemima brand, saying the company recognizes the character’s origins are “based on a racial stereotype.”

Other companies are reviewing their name or logo. Geechie Boy Mill, a family-owned operation in South Carolina that makes locally-grown and milled white grits, said Wednesday it is “listening and reviewing our overall branding,” though no decisions have been made. Geechie is a dialect spoken mainly by the descendants of African American slaves who settled on the Ogeechee River in Georgia, according to Merriam-Webster.com.

Did anyone bother to ask the Eskimo's about this?

Uh,   that is why the company is changing the name;  There isn't a group of people that call themselves "Eskimos".     Instead most refer to themselves as Inuit.      

Inuit - Wikipedia

So will anyone be‎ playing The Christmas Song in December 2020?

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your nose
Yule-tide carols being sung by a choir
And folks dressed up like Eskimos

I've never heard anyone use Eskimo to be derogatory, and I doubt others have either. It's another solution looking for a problem.

• Like 2

1) Eskimo has come to be considered offensive, especially in Canada, because it was widely thought to stem from a Cree pejorative meaning “eaters of raw meat” ...

or

2) Eskimo or Eskimos are the indigenous circumpolar peoples who have traditionally inhabited ... word Eskimo comes from the Innu-aimun (Montagnais) word ayas̆kimew meaning "a person who laces a snowshoe" 

What about the other derogatory name, will it be rescripted?

I don't know but I've been told.  Eskimo ***** is mighty cold.  Mmm  good.  Feels good . Is good. Real good. Tastes good. Mighty good. Good for you. Good for me.

maxresdefault.jpg

:P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

I've never heard anyone use Eskimo to be derogatory, and I doubt others have either. It's another solution looking for a problem.

Why don't you stop your complaining and actually do something;  Start your own company and market all types of foods.   Branding and marketing them in a way that would beat these lame,   misguided companies that are messing with their branding and marketing.

Be an entrepreneur instead of an activist.     (because by complaining your being an anti-PC activist).

What about Klondike Bars?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheCid said:

What about Klondike Bars?

What about them?  

Come on tell us!    We know you're dying to let it out!

We don't dare mention what some people used to call this candy:

83fba2e4d0d4c3352c858925a11bcdb6.jpg

28 minutes ago, Swithin said:

We don't dare mention what some people used to call this candy:

83fba2e4d0d4c3352c858925a11bcdb6.jpg

Swith--

I don't know what they called little black licorice baby candy in New York City. But in the Midwest they called them tar babies. And it seems like they stopped calling them that in the 1960s-- the term was believed to be racially insensitive.

It was very good candy and is almost impossible to find today outside of a fine, nostalgic candy shop. But, truth of the matter is, so much of the kind of candy that we had in the 50s and 60s is simply hard to find anywhere. LOL

They weren't exactly licorice but they had a licorice taste to them,   but the substance taste was like chewy Christmas candy.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't know what they called little black licorice babies in New York City. But in the Midwest they called them tar babies. And it seems like they stopped calling them that in the 1960s-- the term was believed to be racially insensitive.

It was very good candy and is almost impossible to find today outside of a fine, nostalgic candy shop. But, truth of the matter is, so much of the kind of candy that we had in the 50s and 60s is simply hard to find anywhere. LOL

They weren't exactly licorice but they had a licorice taste to them,   but the substance taste was like chewy Christmas candy.

I liked them. Not a licorice taste, as I recall, though the consistency was sort of licorice-like, though firmer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swithin said:

I liked them. Not a licorice taste, as I recall, though the consistency was sort of licorice-like, though firmer. 

Did you call them the same thing?

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Did you call them the same thing?

I called them chocolate babies, or just took a pack, since they were on display and one didn't need to ask for them. But I have heard a few people refer to them by the most offensive name possible.  That was long ago.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What about them?  

Come on tell us!    We know you're dying to let it out!

Just a joke.  Sorry I didn't mention that.

Chocolate babies were good, especially when they were nice and soft.

Of course every once in a while you'd get a box and they'd be as hard as jawbreakers.

"Indigenous people of Canada bars" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

9 hours ago, Sukhov said:

"Indigenous people of Canada bars" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

How about:    I'm into an Inuit bar.

My Dad used to like Eskimo Bars.  There already is a similar product named Klondike Bar.  Why do we have to put some sort of "tag" on it.  It is a chocolate covered ice-cream bar without a stick.  By the way, my father said that when he was a kid, brownies were called Chocolate Indians.  On a similar topic, since they do have frozen treats, WW is Weight Watchers by any other name.  Never understood that change (and was on Weight Watchers when I was an obese child/teenager).  I remember its founder, Jean N. (recent biography of her - just read a review - seems to be very revealing in a non-flattering way).

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

My Dad used to like Eskimo Bars.  There already is a similar product named Klondike Bar.  Why do we have to put some sort of "tag" on it.  It is a chocolate covered ice-cream bar without a stick.  By the way, my father said that when he was a kid, brownies were called Chocolate Indians.  On a similar topic, since they do have frozen treats, WW is Weight Watchers by any other name.  Never understood that change (and was on Weight Watchers when I was an obese child/teenager).  I remember its founder, Jean N. (recent biography of her - just read a review - seems to be very revealing in a non-flattering way).

I'd be interested in reading that Bio of Jean Nietich and the review. What's the name  of this Biography and where did you see the review? Thanks

brazil-nuts-benefits-1296x728-feature.jp

Anyone recall the politically incorrect name these brazil nuts were sometimes called? My Mom used to use the term when I was a kid, obviously ingrained in her as a kid, because she was as liberal a being as I ever met.

LavenderBlue19:  This is Big by Marisa Meltzer weaves Jean N.'s story with Ms. Meltzer's own.  The author wrote some unflattering things about Ms. N.  Ms. N. also wrote her own autobiography many years ago.  Personally, I still think Weight Watchers is one of the best diets around of the big name ones because it isn't asking people to only eat their products.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/04/weight-watchers-biographer-marisa-meltzer-quarantine-wellness-plan

Chaya, I don't know if this is the review you read, it's an excellent interview with Marisa Meltzer about the book.  I think you may have overstated Marisa Meltzer's saying unflattering things about Nietich. It's an interesting read and I think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the heads up about the book, I'm most likely going to order it. I find Jean Nietich fascinating, always have. My sister and I attended WW meetings in the late 1960's in the basement of an  apartment building in Queens. I think the original WW diet was the best. I didn't have a lot to lose maybe 15 pounds and I did lose it and kept it off for many years.