• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Eskimo Pie to rename its 'derogatory' brand name

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

brazil-nuts-benefits-1296x728-feature.jp

Anyone recall the politically incorrect name these brazil nuts were sometimes called? My Mom used to use the term when I was a kid, obviously ingrained in her as a kid, because she was as liberal a being as I ever met.

I just looked it up. Same term as the term I heard occasionally regarding the  previously mentioned Chocolate Babies. Which is probably why the old (and fine) movie The Bowery (1933) can never be shown, as that word is in the first frame of the film. 

I won't provide a direct link.  Google...

Racist Relics: An Ugly Blight On Our Botanical Nomenclature

3 hours ago, Swithin said:

I just looked it up. Same term as the term I heard occasionally regarding the  previously mentioned Chocolate Babies. Which is probably why the old (and fine) movie The Bowery (1933) can never be shown, as that word is in the first frame of the film. 

There were a lot of racist films in the '30s, of course, with THE BOWERY being one of the more outrageous ones. A good film in spite of that fact.

18 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

whatz the new name?

Polar Pies?

:lol:

That's already taken.

B3ZaYMpIgAAk7vF.jpg

large_9e9083fa-21e8-4acc-83d4-cd78dabac3

There is also..

41EFJFwj4yL.jpg

Love those but have to eat it quickly before it melts faster than a polar ice cap. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, hamradio said:

That's already taken.

B3ZaYMpIgAAk7vF.jpg

large_9e9083fa-21e8-4acc-83d4-cd78dabac3

There is also..

41EFJFwj4yL.jpg

Love those but have to eat it quickly before it melts faster than a polar ice cap. 

I loved those also when I was younger (I rarely eat ice cream now due to lactose intolerance).  But in line with your melting of the polar ice caps analogy, human help definitely accelerate this, as the  body heat as you holds it speeds this melting.

18 hours ago, TomJH said:

Anyone recall the politically incorrect name these brazil nuts were sometimes called? My Mom used to use the term when I was a kid, obviously ingrained in her as a kid, because she was as liberal a being as I ever met.

Yes, but you can't print it here.

Just got back from grocery store where I got FatBoy ice cream sandwiches because Klondike Bars were not on sale.  Will FatBoy have to change its name?

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Yes, but you can't print it here.

I could but it would be offensive to many if I did. The auto censor would blank me, of course, but I could still put out enough hints that posters would get it, I think.

37 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Just got back from grocery store where I got FatBoy ice cream sandwiches because Klondike Bars were not on sale.  Will FatBoy have to change its name?

Probably will so not to offend the lard *** Americans.

obese-man.jpg

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

Probably will so not to offend the lard *** Americans.

or girls.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

No since no one has to change their name.

I did see your comment about girls;      Now a name like FatGirl would likely fail in the marketplace.    E.g.  social media would hit such a company hard and their PR department would recommend a branding change.     So there is gender discrimination going on here.     I.e.   to most of society Fatboy is funny while Fatgirl would be offensive.

Crazy world when it comes to marketing,  branding and PR.      

20 hours ago, TomJH said:

:rolleyes:  Oh, yeah.....

"Ni**er toes".  Cripes, that was terrible.  It wasn't until I was damn near in my twenties when I found out their real name!  :wacko:  And in MY neck of the(p e c k e r) woods, we never caught a TIGER by the toe in "Eeny,meeny, miny, moe!" (sp) 💀

I never thought of "Eskimo" as derogatory.  But then, I never thought negatively about African-Americans because of AUNT JEMIMA.  I guess it all depends on a person's upbringing.  OR lack of it.  ;) 

Sepiatone

And of course everyone knows what Agatha Christie's original title was. An American publisher changed the title to Ten Little Indians (and still later, the title was changed to And Then There Were None).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

No since no one has to change their name.

I did see your comment about girls;      Now a name like FatGirl would likely fail in the marketplace.    E.g.  social media would hit such a company hard and their PR department would recommend a branding change.     So there is gender discrimination going on here.     I.e.   to most of society Fatboy is funny while Fatgirl would be offensive.

Crazy world when it comes to marketing,  branding and PR.      

I think it has something to do with the situation of so many young girls having difficulties with anorexia and their self image in relationship to the promotion of some Barbie type images  and models in the American society.

PR is not done in a vacuum, sometimes it is affected by problems in the society that have to be addressed.

But it is very true for the most part that PR in a capitalistic society, like the United States, is usually entirely driven by materialism and where and how you can obtain the most dollars.