Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name an actor and the film you think was their WORST.  Write anything you want about it. 

I thought of this because I saw bits of two GREAT JACK LEMMON films today at TCM (SOME LIKE IT HOT and THE APARTMENT) which made me think of his WORST film...

UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE (1963). 

I wrote this about it 13 years ago :

Starring the late great JACK LEMMON (in a film he later stated he himself “hated”) the breathtakingly beautiful CAROL LYNLEY and DEAN JONES, plus EDIE ADAMS, PAUL LYNDE and IMOGENE COCA, this film has to be the worst of all the dumb “sex comedies” of the late 1950s and early 1960s.  Pretty damned sexless for a “sex comedy,” studious student CAROL LYNLEY logically convinces her boyfriend DEAN JONES to live with her platonically in a one-bedroom apartment in order to determine their compatibility for marriage.   Lookingup

LEMMON the apartment manager, determined to bed LYNLEY, does a lot of manipulation of the tediously predictable and unfunny variety, trying to wear out DEAN JONES so that JONES has no energy to “take” LYNLEY, and though there is the absurd inclusion of a woman stripping down in front of, busty-chested leaning out of, being peeked at through, her ground-level bathroom window (which is more like a car-port) this film never succeeds in being titillating, entertaining, funny, or doing anything more than making the viewer want to jump up and turn it off (amazingly, the film was a box office success, and helped further propel JACK LEMMON to superstardom). 

With a "bachelor pad" that looks like something LIBERACE might have lured his chauffeurs into (there are  ridiculously automated violins, blood-red walls, gold spray-painted cherubs, and a French provincial bed) the unmanly, but apparently “lucky” LEMMON undermines the credibility of his stunning Oscar-nominated performance in DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES (1962 ~ in which he played an alcoholic) by here playing a happily unrepentant sleaze-bag always-drunk alcoholic, spying on his all-female tenants.  Not even the inclusion of comedy veterans PAUL LYNDE or IMOGENE COCA can save this dopey and boring flick.  Seriously, it took all of my willpower to sit through it to the end.  To sum it up, this movie is nothing more than insufferably dated drek.  

• Like 4

Pryor and Gleason could not save the badness that is THE TOY (1982).  An unfortunate waste of a LOT of combined talent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is that I wrote on June 16, 2017 of the movie which I feel must be James Mason's worst: 

The Yin and the Yang of Mr. Go (1970)

I love James Mason very much and I find Burgess Meredith to be quite delightful in small doses.

I am very sad to say that my fondness for them will be forever more tainted by the existence of this movie.

I was required to watch it in its entirety because I lost a bet. I did not consider it an onerous consequence because of the aforementioned actors and Jeff Bridges, Broderick Crawford and Jack MacGowran. I believed I would find it interesting also because movies written by their directors is one of my weaknesses.

I fulfilled my obligation by facing the screen with my eyes open for the entire one-hundred minutes. I believe that it can not be reasonable to blame me for not knowing now the plot, character development or any other critical aspect of the movie. My brain is simply incapable of processing befuddled dreck.

There is a thing about a talking statue of Buddha interfering in world politics and a thing about people running madly in an attempt to escape bubblegum pop and a thing about James Mason shooting a person with a speargun. That is all of the movie which entered my consciousness.

I have read now a synopsis of the movie. I believe it may have been a correct synopsis but I simply do not know because I was incapable of discerning the plot while watching it.

There are many movies which are so very bad that they are good. This is not one of them.

I truly hope that it was his worst movie because I dread the thought that there might be one lurking out there which makes this look as if it is a masterpiece.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Name an actor and the film you think was their WORST.  Write anything you want about it. 

I thought of this because I saw bits of two GREAT JACK LEMMON films today at TCM (SOME LIKE IT HOT and THE APARTMENT) which made me think of his WORST film...

UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE (1963). 

Y'know, I still have a secret urge to track down Buddy Buddy (1981), the supposedly "worst" Lemmon/Matthau movie Billy Wilder ever made, to see if it's as painful as legend has it.

4 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Pryor and Gleason could not save the badness that is THE TOY (1982).  An unfortunate waste of a LOT of combined talent. 

The Toy was literally only the BEGINNING of Pryor's 80's self-humiliation, in his attempt to find "nicer", less angry roles after his rehab, and stick to more self-effacing humor.  (Seriously:  "Bustin' Loose" was the last of his good "we bad" roles, and "Live on the Sunset Strip" was six months before The Toy.)

I offer you Moving (1988), his last lead role, a painful Vacation-knockoff, best symbolized by a scene where Pryor quits his job and flips his boss the index finger--"Shoot, I got the wrong one!"  Prompting one critic to comment, "In what alternate universe does Richard Pryor get a profanity wrong??"  I will concede, however, that The Toy may have been worse.

As for Jackie Gleason, the field is wide open (I remember liking "The Sting II", and now I can't remember why), but you have only to look at the long, troubled history of Smokey & the Bandit Part 3 (1983), where the absent Burt Reynolds had to be persuaded to come back in a cameo in last minute emergency recuts/redrafts..

• Thanks 1

I love Gregory Peck and Laurence Olivier, but their star power and combination could not save the dreadful THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL.

I don't object to Peck playing a bad guy (he was deliciously nasty in 1946's DUEL IN THE SUN) but he was way over the top for my liking in here.

And I just couldn't buy Olivier's performance either. The whole story itself was ridiculous beyond belief (and I usually have no problem suspending belief but this movie was really stretching it!).

Only saving grace at least this movie was neither one's final film. Would have been a horrible way to end a well respected film career on.

• Thanks 1

Not long ago, on one of the game threads, a fan of Dean Martin gave the clue: "favorite Dean Martin film."

My reply was that he made a lot of junk so I really had to think about which film of his I considered one of his best.

Some stars just glide by on personality and don't really have the best directors or the best scripts.

Now I know someone will come along and mention Martin's films with Lewis or his films with Sinatra. But I mean films where it's just him carrying the entire picture. He had a lot of weak vehicles.

• Like 2

I think you have to include this gem from Miss Crawford's oeuvre:  Trog

image.jpeg.e4b48312535bd7a7f4c7559fe637822f.jpeg

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I think you have to include this gem from Miss Crawford's oeuvre:  Trog

TROG is so cheapo and bad it's fun!  Not really.

Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty in this camel movie.

11733718.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peter O'Toole in Supergirl (1984)  He certainly made some other stinkers.  He looks rather miserable here and appears to be wearing a Cosby-ish sweater.

Supergirl (1984)  Supergirl (1984) from Peter O'Toole : une vie en images | E! News

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

And I just couldn't buy Olivier's performance either.

I remember reading a review of THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL in TIME magazine about the time it was new.  The review ridiculed his "foreign" accent.  It is scene chewing by both. 

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty in this camel movie.

11733718.jpg

Can't argue with ISHTAR....a career low for both Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman.

Though Hoffman did bounce back nicely the following year with RAIN MAN (for which he won the Best Actor Oscar).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Peter O'Toole in Supergirl (1984)  He certainly made some other stinkers.  He looks rather miserable here and appears to be wearing a Cosby-ish sweater.

Supergirl (1984)  Supergirl (1984) from Peter O'Toole : une vie en images | E! News

I give thanks we were spared a Superdog movie

7136BB+VfjL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

I've never seen this one PEEBS, but if it's worse than his '88 pot o' swill HIGH SPIRITS, then I'll pass on any chance. 

And I thought '67's THE COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG was Brando's worst.  Until I looked at THE FRESHMAN('90) which is about two hours of my life I'll never see again.  :( 

And I never thought ISHTAR was all that bad.  Not GREAT, mind you, but kinda cute. 

And I bet RALPH FIENNES wishes he never made '98's THE AVENGER'S flick, a movie take on the popular '60's British spy thrill TV show..  "Stinkbomb" is actually more complementary than it deserves. 

And I'm with ALLHALLOWS as far as "Yum Yum Tree" goes.  for me, it's my '60's version of BRINGING UP BABY in that it was another movie that got such a huge build up and large amount of hype that was such a dismal disappointment I couldn't even force a smile.  Over anything!  

Sepiatone

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I've never seen this one PEEBS, but if it's worse than his '88 pot o' swill HIGH SPIRITS, then I'll pass on any chance. 

And I thought '67's THE COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG was Brando's worst.  Until I looked at THE FRESHMAN('90) which is about two hours of my life I'll never see again.  :( 

And I never thought ISHTAR was all that bad.  Not GREAT, mind you, but kinda cute. 

And I bet RALPH FIENNES wishes he never made '98's THE AVENGER'S flick, a movie take on the popular '60's British spy thrill TV show..  "Stinkbomb" is actually more complementary than it deserves. 

And I'm with ALLHALLOWS as far as "Yum Yum Tree" goes.  for me, it's my '60's version of BRINGING UP BABY in that it was another movie that got such a huge build up and large amount of hype that was such a dismal disappointment I couldn't even force a smile.  Over anything!  

Sepiatone

I know how you feel about BRINGING UP BABY, but I myself would prefer to watch that over and over again before I would ever lay eyes on ISHTAR again!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

One of the first movies I saw in the theater.....it was totally a waste of time, and yes a waste of talent for both Richard Pryor and Jackie Gleason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Not long ago, on one of the game threads, a fan of Dean Martin gave the clue: "favorite Dean Martin film."

My reply was that he made a lot of junk so I really had to think about which film of his I considered one of his best.

Some stars just glide by on personality and don't really have the best directors or the best scripts.

Now I know someone will come along and mention Martin's films with Lewis or his films with Sinatra. But I mean films where it's just him carrying the entire picture. He had a lot of weak vehicles.

How about RIO BRAVO? He at least shared the screen with John Wayne, and I thought Martin more than held his own.

Other than that, I have to agree Martin's film biography doesn't exactly boast a whole lot of acclaim.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Oh so true.  Sad.  Ain't it?

7 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

How about RIO BRAVO? He at least shared the screen with John Wayne, and I thought Martin more than held his own.

Don't forget RICKY NELSON ... and ANGIE DICKINSON... I like that movie, but it is not great... corny with a predictable dated script.  I mean, look at ANGIE !!!  Would you think that lovely wouldn't go for RICKY or DEAN instead of Marion Morrison?  He was old enough to be her Dad... The movie works for me mainly 'cause I love JOHN WAYNE movies. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Until I looked at THE FRESHMAN('90) which is about two hours of my life I'll never see again.

Oh, I liked The Freshman! I can see where it might be too quirky for some:   Brando parodying his Godfather role, Bert Parks singing to a Komodo dragon, an unrecognizable Maximillian Schell in a funny and slightly menacing supporting role,   Brando's been in much worse,  Candy (1968) or as you said The Countess from Hong Kong.  

I agree with you that there could be a case for  High Spirits (1988) being one of O'Toole's worse.  Sadly, he had a fair share of crummy movies.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Don't forget RICKY NELSON ... and ANGIE DICKINSON... I like that movie, but it is not great... corny with a predictable dated script.  I mean, look at ANGIE !!!  Would you think that lovely wouldn't go for RICKY or DEAN instead of Marion Morrison?  He was old enough to be her Dad... The movie works for me mainly 'cause I love JOHN WAYNE movies. 

Well if Helen Hunt can fall for Jack Nicholson, a man old enough to be her father as well in AS GOOD AS IT GETS, then certainly Angie can fall for old John?;)

Seriously, I wish they could have gotten Maureen O'Hara for the female lead in RIO BRAVO instead of Angie, I have to admit. She and Wayne always had great chemistry together.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Well if Helen Hunt can fall for Jack Nicholson, a man old enough to be her father as well in AS GOOD AS IT GETS, then certainly Angie can fall for old John?;)

Seriously, I wish they could have gotten Maureen O'Hara for the female lead in RIO BRAVO instead of Angie, I have to admit. She and Wayne always had great chemistry together.

I see your point; someone must've started a topic about the old trope - lovely young ladies paired with major stars who were... older. 

I haven't seen Ishtar, but Who Is Harry Kellerman . . . is certainly a stinker. Dustin Hoffman isn't bad, but the film is.

James Stewart made many outstanding movies, and Ice Follies of 1939 is not one of them. This is one of Joan Crawford's worst, also. I haven't seen Trog, but I have seen Torch Song, with the amazing spectacle that is Joan Crawford in blackface.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I have seen Torch Song, with the amazing spectacle that is Joan Crawford in blackface.

I have seen TORCH SONG; it is entertaining... and absurd! 

• Like 1

Torch Song is now politically incorrect. Strictly Mammy Dearest stuff.

crawford-torchsong.jpg?w=475&h=374

• Haha 6